xp sp2 restore help

Discussion in 'PC Support Archive' started by Mizwax, Nov 23, 2008 with 11 replies and 126 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mizwax

Mizwax Member

Ratings:
    ok, i have tons of problems with Windows XP SP2. Like, i have tons of style problems, i cant defrag, installing problems, and just completely random problems in doing stuff.

i want to restore it somehow, but i cant reformat this computer since its the family computer. how would i do this? is there like a repair disk i could get? but i cant loose ANYTHING including drivers, programs, files, ANYTHING. lol.

thanks!
    ~mizzy
    :biggrin:

2. Forgoten Dynasty

Forgoten Dynasty Free Sosa #bangbang Premium

Ratings:
  3. Ibdc

Ibdc Retired Retired

Ratings:
  4. OP
    Mizwax

Mizwax Member

Ratings:
    thats actually a decent idea. i might end up doing that, but my dad is against getting sp3 for some reason... :huh:

5. TorMenT

TorMenT VIP VIP

Ratings:
    Probably because he is trying to save money :tongue:. I'm not sure if this would work, but can't you just insert the disc and intead of reformatting, hit repair? I'm not certain but it should work.

6. OP
    Mizwax

Mizwax Member

Ratings:
    thats what the two other noobs above us suggested. lol. idk, i just dont want to take the risk. has anyone done that in the past?

7. TorMenT

TorMenT VIP VIP

Ratings:
    They suggest a system restore, using control panel. I suggested inserting the xp disc and choosing the repair feature, though I'm not positive it will work. There's a big difference :wink:

8. OP
    Mizwax

Mizwax Member

Ratings:
    yeah, my last system restore was crap. i had like 5 viruses in it and stuff. so i back up my system every time i do something and get an improvment. so that wouldnt be much of a restore. :tongue:

i think ill do the repair thing. so i just need to get a windows xp home sp2 disc rip or something? or do i need to get a windows xp home sp1 disc rip since my computer came with sp1 on it?

9. TorMenT

TorMenT VIP VIP

Ratings:
    I'm sure there's one in premium, most likely, and if not someone could find you one.

10. Michael Allison

Michael Allison Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Don't restore every ten seconds, for God's sake. Seriously! Just clean up your registry, your cache, etc. Then download Defragler by the makers of CCleaner to defragment your computer (since you said that the default program wouldn't work). After that run a scan for malware, and so on, and then install all the appropriate updates.

Not every system calls for a system restore, or re-installing Windows. Christ!

11. OP
    Mizwax

Mizwax Member

Ratings:
    lol. ill walk you through this.

i have NEVER restored, repaired, or reformatted my computer.

lol, i do that like once a month or twice if needed. my drive was 14% fragmented. idk about my external though, i really need to check it too cause i use that litterally just as much as my internal.

duh :tongue:
    its just worse than ive ever seen it. i kno

thanks for the help though michael! its greatly appreciated!:thumbup:

Update: my external drive wasnt even 1% fragmented. ROFL.

12. Michael Allison

Michael Allison Enthusiast

Ratings:
    The random anger was pretty much directed at the board, and their automatic "reformat your computer" response that was pissing me off.

I'd be interested to see what updating does, so yeah. That's why I updated my dad's PC to the next Service Pack the instant it was formally released.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.