XP Professional help

Discussion in 'PC Support Archive' started by Raving Killa, Jan 17, 2009 with 6 replies and 113 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raving Killa

Raving Killa Enthusiast

Ratings:
    So yesterday my dad asked me to get one of his work computers to connect to his home network. I went into the system menu and changed it from domain to workgroup. it told me to restart to let the settings take effect. After restarting it came up with the log in screen that it has always done (where you need to hit crl,alt,delete). Now his login and password are not working. I am guessing that it is because it is not in the proper domain for it. I am not sure how to get around the login part or to just change the setting back. This computer was setupby his ofice and I think it has a admin password on it but he does not have it. He is going to try and get it on monday but I am not even sure if that will work.

2. KranK

KranK Member

Ratings:
    You mean not?

3. OP
    Raving Killa

Raving Killa Enthusiast

Ratings:
    yes, I ment not. Thanks

4. confused5

confused5 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Can you boot in safe mode (doesn't require a login) and change the settings from there? Otherwise you are going to need the admin password

5. OP
    Raving Killa

Raving Killa Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Thats what I though.
    When I go to safe mode with command prompt it gives me the same login screen.

6. JoeMal

JoeMal Retired Retired

Ratings:
    You're going to need privileges to get in

You can look for a CD called 'Emergency Boot Disc'...it's floating around the web somewhere....

If you can burn that to a CD and boot to it, it will let you change the windows password on the local account to get in...

7. Distorted Hope

Distorted Hope Enthusiast

Ratings:
    use ophcrack to get his password to whatever it may have changed to(doubt it) or, find a way to get into a login, with administrator or not, go to start, run, type in cmd, then in the command prompt type in net user (dad's profile name here) (new password here) then try it. and btw no parentheses.

EDIT: did you have him try his work login?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.