What's new
  • This section is NOT for Console Modding Support or Queries.
    Please ensure any threads posted here are releases or guides as appropriate.
    If you require support, please post a new thread in Console Modding Support
    Thanks!

Tutorial Xenon RGH1.2 Freeboot Tutorial

• Thread starter Metal
  • Start date
  • Views 113,006

Have you had success with RGH1.2 on your Xenon?

• Yes

Votes: 50 61.7%
  • No

Votes: 31 38.3%

• Total voters
R

reddragon105

Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks for the guide! Unfortunately I've only been able to get it to work on 1 out of 5 consoles so far, so any advice would be appreciated. The first console I tried this on worked

I have a pile of Xenons that are all working but missing DVD drives, so I've been trying to recover the keys for them. So I don't need a stable insta-boot RGH, I just need to get into Xell once. It worked on the first console I tried it on (it took a couple of minutes to glitch and boot to Xell, but at least it did it!) but hasn't worked on any of the four I've tried it with since.

I've done dozens of JTAG and RGH installations before, so I understand what I'm doing and my soldering is pretty good - I'm used to all the points I need to solder to in the 360 by now and my wire routing has gotten pretty good! But nevertheless I followed your guide carefully to make sure I didn't miss anything so I made sure to do things like remove the capacitor for the RST point, add a 22K resistor and solder to the alt 1.8V point. I'm reading the NAND with a J-R Programmer v2, then writing the XENON.ECC file from the Xenon RGH file package. I'm using an Ace v3 chip flashed with the dynamic timing file provided (which I have reflashed every time I've tried a new console). The chip seems to be working (it did with the first console) but is just flashing two short, one long flash indefinitely (I've tried giving it 5-10 minutes to boot). The consoles are all on pretty recent dashboards - 17526 and 17544 - but I'm not sure if that should make any difference, as the one that worked was on 17544. I think 4 out of the 5 have Taiwanese CPUs but the last one I tried was Canadian and that didn't work either.

So basically my setup has been exactly the same across all five consoles, but only one worked. Is there anything else I can try?

Side note - I've been looking into the TTL method, where you can recover the CPU key using a USB-TTL adapter without booting into Xell, but every guide I've seen is either in broken English or missing pictures. I can set it up to the point where I'm getting data over the COM port from the chip's LED pulses, but it just seems to be random data repeating itself with every pulse. I'm pretty sure it requires specific timing files in order to request the key and send it via LED pulses, but all the links to the files in the guides are dead. So does anyone have the files for Xenon RGH1.2 TTL? Should be a file called RGH12_XETTL.rar.

ddxcb

ddxcb

Contributor
Reaction score
Sin$
Side note - I've been looking into the TTL method, where you can recover the CPU key using a USB-TTL adapter without booting into Xell, but every guide I've seen is either in broken English or missing pictures. I can set it up to the point where I'm getting data over the COM port from the chip's LED pulses, but it just seems to be random data repeating itself with every pulse. I'm pretty sure it requires specific timing files in order to request the key and send it via LED pulses, but all the links to the files in the guides are dead. So does anyone have the files for Xenon RGH1.2 TTL? Should be a file called RGH12_XETTL.rar.
Xell is still required to boot but you get the xell text info by a 3.3v usb-ttl device hooking to the rx port on the 360 motherboard.

I did this to a xenon years ago for xell, at the time only component cable can view the screen and i did not have a tv with component.

R

reddragon105

Reaction score
Sin$
Xell is still required to boot but you get the xell text info by a 3.3v usb-ttl device hooking to the rx port on the 360 motherboard.

I did this to a xenon years ago for xell, at the time only component cable can view the screen and i did not have a tv with component.
One of the guides I read on it says "instead of acquiring the CPU key using Xell (which would usually cause a Xenon’s CPU to crash, which is why RGH isn’t really viable on Xenons) it can be acquired using a TTL adapter installed onto the glitch chip", so I was under the impression that it was not using Xell. On the two videos I can find showing it on YouTube the key is sent over the COM port almost instantly after powering on, which only really gives the chip one attempt at glitching, which is much quicker than any Xenon would normally boot Xell. One of the videos clearly shows the timing file used was "rgh12_xettl_02.xsvf" which I cannot find in any package of timing files I have. If you have done this before, do you still have the files for it?

UPDATE - Managed to find the files and was able to recover the CPU key from the console I was working on using a Matrix v3. I can confirm that it is a custom ECC file that needs flashing to the NAND, plus some custom timing files and the CPU key was outputted via COM port without the console having to boot into Xell. Tomorrow I'm going to go back to the other three consoles and see if the process works on them too.

Last edited:
ddxcb

ddxcb

Contributor
Reaction score
Sin$
One of the guides I read on it says "instead of acquiring the CPU key using Xell (which would usually cause a Xenon’s CPU to crash, which is why RGH isn’t really viable on Xenons) it can be acquired using a TTL adapter installed onto the glitch chip", so I was under the impression that it was not using Xell. On the two videos I can find showing it on YouTube the key is sent over the COM port almost instantly after powering on, which only really gives the chip one attempt at glitching, which is much quicker than any Xenon would normally boot Xell. One of the videos clearly shows the timing file used was "rgh12_xettl_02.xsvf" which I cannot find in any package of timing files I have. If you have done this before, do you still have the files for it?

UPDATE - Managed to find the files and was able to recover the CPU key from the console I was working on using a Matrix v3. I can confirm that it is a custom ECC file that needs flashing to the NAND, plus some custom timing files and the CPU key was outputted via COM port without the console having to boot into Xell. Tomorrow I'm going to go back to the other three consoles and see if the process works on them too.

Prob a custom cd that just prints the cpu key thru the tx port.

R

reddragon105

Reaction score
Sin$
Prob a custom cd that just prints the cpu key thru the tx port.
That's what I figured, which is why I needed the files - I have no idea how to program an ECC! Once I had the files it was a breeze - used a Matrix V3 installed as per the instructions in this thread, just had to add a TTL adapter and flash the different files. It worked with the first timing file I tried and key output was almost instant. It's a shame I couldn't get the console to glitch/boot properly but this is a great alternative if you just need the CPU key.

A

antonic901

Reaction score
Sin$
Hello everyone. Today i tried RGH on my Xenon, and I succeded but glitching was about 10 hours. I was using Ace V3 programmed with Xenon Dynamic File, and wiring is as same as on pictures from Metal in first post. Before this Xenon I have modded thousands of Xbox consoles (dating from Xbox Original) so I'm pretty sure the problem isn't in my soldering. Again, console booted in Xell but boot time was 10h+ . Have anyone some suggestion, what problem could be?

KarimPolska

KarimPolska

Reaction score
Sin$
Hello everyone. Today i tried RGH on my Xenon, and I succeded but glitching was about 10 hours. I was using Ace V3 programmed with Xenon Dynamic File, and wiring is as same as on pictures from Metal in first post. Before this Xenon I have modded thousands of Xbox consoles (dating from Xbox Original) so I'm pretty sure the problem isn't in my soldering. Again, console booted in Xell but boot time was 10h+ . Have anyone some suggestion, what problem could be?
What ECC file did you use? I'm desperately trying to RGH a Xenon but to no avail. I think the ECC file in this thread doesn't tolerate the few last dashb oard versions.

Can you upload the ECC you used?

B

BluesMan67

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Not sure if my Xenon's GPU chip is on it's way to dying out but since i successfully managed to RGH my Xenon and when it boots up to dashboard.I get random weird graphics glitches on my screen :frown:
My fans are running at max speed,as i increased them within Freestyle dash/Settings.
Could this be that my Xenon's GPU chip is indeed on it's way out ?

KarimPolska

KarimPolska

Reaction score
Sin$
Not sure if my Xenon's GPU chip is on it's way to dying out but since i successfully managed to RGH my Xenon and when it boots up to dashboard.I get random weird graphics glitches on my screen :frown:
My fans are running at max speed,as i increased them within Freestyle dash/Settings.
Could this be that my Xenon's GPU chip is indeed on it's way out ?
Yes, these xenons are notorious for RRoD'ing up. I have a jtagged xenon that has a bad ram contact which is surgery form of RRoD. Just get a Jasper and forget about these damn servings

B

BluesMan67

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Yes, these xenons are notorious for RRoD'ing up. I have a jtagged xenon that has a bad ram contact which is surgery form of RRoD. Just get a Jasper and forget about these damn servings
It was just to test to see if i could get a Xenon to RGH,that's why i wanted to give it a try really.I already have an RGH'd Slim Trinity that i use.
Might see if i can pickup another cheap Xenon and give it a go again :smile:

N

Nik297777

Reaction score
Sin$
Got two consoles Xenon 2005 and 2006. in great condition . ACE V3 Glitch. 2005 Taiwan doesn’t want to ship Xell. 2006 - Taiwan processor immediately started.

B

BluesMan67

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Just picked up another Xenon 360 and this just doesn't want to glitch at all :frown:
(side note,i only got this second Xenon to replace my other that has slight graphics glitching on the Xbox logo swirl bootup screen and in games).
So i removed the Ace v3 chip from original RGH'd Xenon and wired it EXACTLY the same into this second Xenon.Tried the same gauge wire as i had in the first console,EXACT same wire routing as the first console,then switched out all the wires for 28 AWG gauge wire (apart from 5v and GND which i left those for slightly thicker wire) but it's the same blink & pulse pattern on the Ace chips green LED no matter what timing file i use (this includes the Xenon Dyno file by the way)
2x quick blinks and 1x short pulse.Gutted this stubburn Xenon just won't glitch or boot into Xell :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:

B

BluesMan67

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Got another Xenon on it's way to me (Ebay purchase) and can't wait for this to be honest.
The console is the Core system that Microsoft launched way back when the Xbox 360 was first released and i've won this with it's box,power supply,AV cable and wired controller for £5.50 british UK pounds and pence.
The seller stated to me that it Red Ringed about 15 years ago and all he did was put it away back in it's box and stored it away (he never took it for repair or sent it back to Microsoft for repair) he just went out and bought a PS3 instead.
So this Xenon will be getting a full reflow and 12v fan mod and if i get it working to dashboard,i've got my fingers crossed it's on a really low Jtaggable dash.Excited to find out lol

jSlumski05

jSlumski05

Reaction score
Sin$
I know that this is an older post, but I am interested in doing this to my xenon. May I ask what type of resistor I need? I know it needs to be a 22k resistor but is it metal film or carbon and what is the wattage I need? Or does it even matter?

D

Deleted member 847964

No sympathy for the Devil; keep that in mind
Seasoned Veteran Grizzled Veteran
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
I know that this is an older post, but I am interested in doing this to my xenon. May I ask what type of resistor I need? I know it needs to be a 22k resistor but is it metal film or carbon and what is the wattage I need? Or does it even matter?
I'm not sure about the metal film or carbon part but I used 1/4 watt 22k I'm pretty sure

B

BluesMan67

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Anyone located in the UK who has a BGA rework station and can do a Xenon GPU transplant please ?
I have an xbox 360 Core edition console here (that is indeed still on the old blades style dashboard so it's Jtaggable) but i only managed to get it to boot into the dashboard once and had really terrible graphics corruption on my screen,after i'd given the board a reflow with my hotair rework station and now when i try and power on the console again it's back with 3 red lights and 0021 secondary error code.
So i honestly think the GPU is toast. :frown:
I can provide a replacement GPU to replace the existing one but i haven't got the equipment to do the swap over of chips.
If anyone in the UK has a proper BGA rework station and can do the job.Please let me know asap.Thanks ever so much guys.

UPDATE -------- The board is toast and has gone in the bin. :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:

Last edited:
S

scottD1503

Premium
Premium
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Not Sure if is of any use to anyone but i have created a PDF version on the OP, credit goes to METAL for the original Write up.
[Click here to view this link]

Im Bored and have time on my hands due to UK Lockdown so might convert some more tutorials into PDF files

B

BluesMan67

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Well,only gone and won 2x more Xenon 360's from Ebay (why do i do it to myself lol)
1x has disc reading issues (pot tweak and clean should sort that out) and the second has the RROD.Just waiting for them to arrive through the post to me
Oh and i won an untested Xenon board as well.Now this should be fun lol.Here's the update on the "Untested" Xenon board i bought.

The board arrived well packaged.It was just the board with the 2 heatsinks.Nothing else was included with it.
When this arrived through the post,i got the heatsinks off to see to my horror that a total idiot had gone mad with their thermal paste applying and they had used the X-Clamp replacement bolts & washers.
So got it all cleaned up and new thermal paste applied and proper X-Clamps to lock the heatsinks,powered it up to see E74 on my screen.
Used liquid flux under bottom Ram chips,top Ram chips,CPU,GPU and Southbridge chips,then gave it a full reflow.
Once cooled down i popped it back in the metal casing,attached the fans and fan shroud and powered it up.What a joy to see that it was still on the old dash (2.0.7371.0).
Connected up my JR-Programmer and dumped the nand.Checked the CB version and was even more delighted to see that it hadn't been patched.
It's all Jtagged,running sweet as a nut in a prestine condition 360 Core shell casing (with a Hitachi 47 360 DVD drive) as the board was matched to a 78 revision Hitachi.So just spoofed the boards DVD key to the replacement drive and sorted that out.
Only then to discover that the Xenon board was "Parental Locked" by who ever owened it last but found a great Youtube video tuturial and got the Xenon board back to full factory settings (just like it had just been taken out of the box,brand new and unused lol)
This Core Edition Xbox 360 looks like it's never been used now and totally brand new.There isn't a mark or scratch to the shell case,all flaps are still present and no discolouration what so ever.It's a keeper for sure (going to try and source a Core Edition box now for it and box it up :smile:

Last edited:
B

BluesMan67

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Ok guys,need a little help here please :smile:
Trying to RGH this Xenon board (Canada CPU) and i can not get it to boot into dashboard :frown:
Managed to get it to boot into Xell (took around 2-3 minutes but got there in the end) and used the Xenon/Dynamic file for a brand new Ace V3 to grab the CPU key.
I've tried every Xenon timing file (including using the Dynamic file) but now it just wont boot into Xell or Dashboard with the Nand image i created using AutoGG (as a Falcon image,as per the tuturial instructions)
Could anyone help please with ideas ?
This console was an Ebay buy along with another Xenon 360 (both were listed as spares or repairs) just finished the second Xenon and to my delight,it was already Jtagged by a previous owner.A good cleanup and it's a fully working console once again.

Update: And that's another Xenon board gone in the bin.Accidently pulled off the tiny "PLL" solder point from the board.Tried repairing it with a jumper wire from a tiny solder point right next to the CPU chip and ran the wire to the tiny black resistor next too the lifted "PLL" pad.Console powered but nothing on the screen at all and red ringed after about 30 seconds.
So i've taken off/desoldered ALL the good caps off this board ready for another Xenon that might have swollen or split caps on it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
Login
Register