What's new

Discussion XBOX won't fix the incorrect/wrong stats from bandwidth usage under network settings.

• Thread starter Jaykae
  • Start date
  • Views 1,338
J

Jaykae

B*tch please.
Reaction score

XBOX have known about it for months and still not fixing it. this is NOT good. similar posts on Reddit too.
I don't think it'll be that hard to fix, to be honest.

Thoughts?
*I'm getting it on a brand new XB1X with the latest updates *ALSO tried the insider updates, too.

A

Alex

chazbae
Retired
Reaction score
It’s been broken since forever, it isn’t a console/game breaking issue so it’ll be on the back burner. Maybe the feature will be fixed with the Series X.

S

schitzotm

Contributor
Reaction score
Actually, it's really not broken. An understanding on how the updates actually work can really help with understanding the data usage.
Updates are broken up and sent in very small compressed files. It is decompressed and put back together after download. And many times the package size is what is being updated but the console already has parts of that update already internal. So the size you see is likely not the actual downloaded size.
Many times in the package they will roll previous updates into the current update. If the console already has those updates applied then it will ignore those by using an invisible menu of already contains this file Skip? (auto respond yes)
My ISP provides me with an app to track my data usage. I find my xbox one x to be displaying rather accurate numbers on the data usage side.
I don't keep a real close eye on it all the time as I don't have any limitations on my internet.
One thing to keep in mind is these updates download like a torrent and do not eat as much data as one would think do to how compressed they are.
You can calculate just how much your data usage on updates is by monitoring the mbs number and averaging it and multiplying it by the time the download took. You will see the update was nowhere near the advertised size.
An update may contain a thousand compressed folders. By the time the download is complete the system may have selected skip on 800 of them.

J

Jaykae

B*tch please.
Reaction score
Actually, it's really not broken. An understanding on how the updates actually work can really help with understanding the data usage.
Updates are broken up and sent in very small compressed files. It is decompressed and put back together after download. And many times the package size is what is being updated but the console already has parts of that update already internal. So the size you see is likely not the actual downloaded size.
Many times in the package they will roll previous updates into the current update. If the console already has those updates applied then it will ignore those by using an invisible menu of already contains this file Skip? (auto respond yes)
My ISP provides me with an app to track my data usage. I find my xbox one x to be displaying rather accurate numbers on the data usage side.
I don't keep a real close eye on it all the time as I don't have any limitations on my internet.
One thing to keep in mind is these updates download like a torrent and do not eat as much data as one would think do to how compressed they are.
You can calculate just how much your data usage on updates is by monitoring the mbs number and averaging it and multiplying it by the time the download took. You will see the update was nowhere near the advertised size.
An update may contain a thousand compressed folders. By the time the download is complete the system may have selected skip on 800 of them.
Utter BS that is, my friend. it's fine on the ONE S just fully broken on the ONE X but thanks for the laugh! :roflmao: :what: :thumbsup:

S

schitzotm

Contributor
Reaction score
Utter BS that is, my friend. it's fine on the ONE S just fully broken on the ONE X but thanks for the laugh! :roflmao: :what: :thumbsup:
Oh yeah my bad. Forgot you were xbox aaa game developer. Oh wait that’s me.
Before you call anything bs you should look into how updates on xbox are rolled out. And also look at how the x uses scripts much like a Linux make file pulling resources already in the console to make the update instead of simply fully downloading files. The x and the s share the same os the x just has more resources and better processing power.

J

Jaykae

B*tch please.
Reaction score
Oh yeah my bad. Forgot you were xbox aaa game developer. Oh wait that’s me.
Before you call anything bs you should look into how updates on xbox are rolled out. And also look at how the x uses scripts much like a Linux make file pulling resources already in the console to make the update instead of simply fully downloading files. The x and the s share the same os the x just has more resources and better processing power.
Can I have some of what you're smoking, pretty please. :roflmao:
Again, it's fine on the ONE S but broken on the ONE X. it's not because of how they're rolled out at all. it's simply broken. an XBOX ambassador has said MS will try and fix it but there's not a guarantee. you're funny :biggrin: of course the X has better resources and better processing power lol I'm not that stupid, ffs. but the ONE S/ONE X still download files the same way...

I have downloaded 800GB on my ONE X over the last two days... bandwidth usage stats I've downloaded 15GB or so. yes; it's broken.
I downloaded a Fortnite update on my ONE S and the bandwidth usage is more or less the same as what the Fortnite update was.

I really want some of what you're smoking. rofl

D

DeeLaRoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Again, it's fine on the ONE S but broken on the ONE X. it's not because of how they're rolled out at all. it's simply broken. an XBOX ambassador has said MS will try and fix it but there's not a guarantee. you're funny :biggrin: of course the X has better resources and better processing power lol I'm not that stupid, ffs. but the ONE S/ONE X still download files the same way...

I have downloaded 800GB on my ONE X over the last two days... bandwidth usage stats I've downloaded 15GB or so. yes; it's broken.
I downloaded a Fortnite update on my ONE S and the bandwidth usage is more or less the same as what the Fortnite update was.

My statistics on my Xbox One X are the same as my bandwidth usage, and I’m on the newest Insider update, so I’m not having the same issues as the other reddit posters and yourself. So instead of trying to pick fights with someone more knowledgeable than yourself with these kind of things, maybe work with them and try to figure out the problem on your end and be civil? And no you cannot have what I smoke because you can’t handle my dank, it’s the stickiest of the ickiest, SKEET SKEET!!!!

S

schitzotm

Contributor
Reaction score

Xbox ambassadors are users that signed up to be an ambassador. They are pretty much useless.
your specific console may be experiencing an issue with mismatched data. But most consoles are not.
the x has better processing power meaning better compression on dlc media can be used.
the console has better resources meaning instead of needing to download framework and other part that the console already has in its software it can ignore those packages thus not downloading them. So the size of the file to be downloaded may in fact not be as large as advertised. I’m not smoking anything. If you developed software for this console you would know this.
Even you can become an xbox ambassador. They are just other gamers that have a small man complex. Like a mall cop.
They have no real power and do not work for Microsoft and have no inside knowledge. They just take your complaint and email it off.

J

Jaykae

B*tch please.
Reaction score
Xbox ambassadors are users that signed up to be an ambassador. They are pretty much useless.
your specific console may be experiencing an issue with mismatched data. But most consoles are not.
the x has better processing power meaning better compression on dlc media can be used.
the console has better resources meaning instead of needing to download framework and other part that the console already has in its software it can ignore those packages thus not downloading them. So the size of the file to be downloaded may in fact not be as large as advertised. I’m not smoking anything. If you developed software for this console you would know this.
Even you can become an xbox ambassador. They are just other gamers that have a small man complex. Like a mall cop.
They have no real power and do not work for Microsoft and have no inside knowledge. They just take your complaint and email it off.
Cool. so...

Here's a picture of what I'm on about:

It says I've done x.x amount of data. see? but say it says I've done 200MB where as really I've done 10GB. like I said, it's fine on the ONE S but broken on the ONE X.
I would reply to the troll that replied, too; but I'm better than that. he's just pissed because he can't sell a sh*tty console for $450. lmao
*It doesn't concern you, no idea why you're bothering to reply. oh and why you're "likeing" the replies! :roflmao:
EDIT: I've tried using the Insider update, didn't fix it. factory reset, didn't fix it. reset my Internet, didn't fix it.
I couldn't give a flying monkey if it's not happening to you :roflmao: it's happening to a lot of XBOX owners including my brother and ME. sigh.

Last edited:
S

schitzotm

Contributor
Reaction score
Cool. so...

Here's a picture of what I'm on about:

It says I've done x.x amount of data. see? but say it says I've done 200MB where as really I've done 10GB. like I said, it's fine on the ONE S but broken on the ONE X.
I would reply to the troll that replied, too; but I'm better than that. he's just pissed because he can't sell a sh*tty console for $450. lmao
*It doesn't concern you, no idea why you're bothering to reply. oh and why you're "likeing" the replies! :roflmao:
EDIT: I've tried using the Insider update, didn't fix it. factory reset, didn't fix it. reset my Internet, didn't fix it.
I couldn't give a flying monkey if it's not happening to you :roflmao: it's happening to a lot of XBOX owners including my brother and ME. sigh.
I think there is something different on your console. Let me go through mine and see what I have set on mine. It may just be a setting. I’ll reply again if I figure it out. On mine it is instant on so downloads come in while it’s not powered on. I dont think mine ever shows zero data usage at any time. And you can tell when I’ve been gaming because there are Gb usage when I’m gaming. Your 12 hour history looks real light if you were gaming during that period.

J

Jaykae

B*tch please.
Reaction score
I think there is something different on your console. Let me go through mine and see what I have set on mine. It may just be a setting. I’ll reply again if I figure it out. On mine it is instant on so downloads come in while it’s not powered on. I dont think mine ever shows zero data usage at any time. And you can tell when I’ve been gaming because there are Gb usage when I’m gaming. Your 12 hour history looks real light if you were gaming during that period.
It's not a setting and it's effecting multiple XBOX users. again; tis fine on the ONE S. but broken on the ONE X.
Here's another example: I have 350mbps Internet at home... under XBOX's settings, my "speed" doesn't go above 1mbps even though I'm maxing out my connection.

M

Mercury1989

Reaction score
Yes, this is an unpleasant problem. Have you tried searching for a solution in the settings or contacting customer support? However, when I had the same problem it didn't help me. I've tried many ways. I searched for settings and took them to repair, but nothing happened. Then it turned out that the entire poblema in the provider. And my wife and I decided to change it to usave. We are very happy with this decision! Now nothing is lost and everything works well at high speed. So think about changing your provider.

Last edited:
Top Bottom