What's new
  • Howdy, Guest!

We have issued a forced password reset on all user accounts, meaning you will not be able to login until this process is complete. Instructions will be displayed when you login with your previous credentials, however if for any reason you do not have access to your associated email address, you will need to contact us at [email protected].

For more information, please read this Important Announcement

Thank you for being awesome!

Solved Xbox Only turns on with eject button and powers off by itself!

zastin17

zastin17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
So I found a original xbox from goodwill for $4 and I could not resist even if it was broken. I powered it up and noticed it would only power on with the eject button and it would turn off after a few seconds. I did get a picture on the tv though when it was on. I opened it and looked for bad caps. They were all perfect. The system was not ever opened and there was no dust inside of it. So it had light use. I then looked the the long trace on the edge of the mobo and found that the trace closest to the edge looked to be but or corroded. I tested with a multimeter and the trace had no continuity. So I repaired the trace thinking that was the problem but it did not fix anything. What else can look at. I am looking for any other damage but cant find any. I tested the power supply in another xbox and it works fine. Other than the broken trace I fixed, the board looks brand new and it had no dust in it when I opened it. I can get to the dashboard if it says on long enough so the hard drive is fine. What else do I look at? Also I noticed if I don't have the av cord plugged it it will not turn itself off but obviously wont boot since there is no av cord. The xbox was mf in 2002 and I think its the first board revision made.

HexDecimal

HexDecimal

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
Really sounds like a wire is shorting somewhere, but since you opened it and checked I don't know. I would follow the connection from the power button and eject button and see if they touching or connecting anywhere where it looks like it shouldn't be.

zastin17

zastin17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Really sounds like a wire is shorting somewhere, but since you opened it and checked I don't know. I would follow the connection from the power button and eject button and see if they touching or connecting anywhere where it looks like it shouldn't be.
So I fixed the power button issue by completely redoing the trace start to finish. The other problem is that it turns on then off. If I leave it alone for a while it will turn on to the dashboard. If I keep trying to turn it on the time it takes to turn off gets shorter. Based on these symptoms I think it might be the power supply. There is not bad caps on the psu and no cracked solder joints. What else could I test on the psu. I also notice that sometimes the psu makes a hissing sound like the transformer is arching or something but I can't figure it out. The system is obviously shutting down do to a power problem. Its like a cap has to much power. Since it works after I wait for a while. Caps slowly discharge over a few minutes of time so the symptoms are pointing to a CAP. All the caps are visually fine so I don't think that's the problem. Anything else I should look for?

Last edited:
HexDecimal

HexDecimal

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
Power supply would make sense. But original xbox are so cheap now. It would mare sense to buy a new one and not to try to find a psu.

Top Bottom
Login
Register