What's new

Solved Xbox one turns on and then off

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nimlord

Reaction score
Sin$
Hey guys, I bought a used XB1 phat from a guy on craigslist. Console had few scratches but it was working fine for the most part except for having trouble connecting to the internet through wifi which was not a big deal since I was using a wired connection. However today the console turned off completely while I was playing and me trying to turn it back on results in it turning back off a second later. Tried turn off and unplugging and plugging back in but seems to have no luck. Anyone here had the same problem and know a fix or did I get screwed?

Shady

Shady

Super Moderator
Super Moderators
10th Anniversary Forum Addict Mr. Nice Guy
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Hey guys, I bought a used XB1 phat from a guy on craigslist. Console had few scratches but it was working fine for the most part except for having trouble connecting to the internet through wifi which was not a big deal since I was using a wired connection. However today the console turned off completely while I was playing and me trying to turn it back on results in it turning back off a second later. Tried turn off and unplugging and plugging back in but seems to have no luck. Anyone here had the same problem and know a fix or did I get screwed?
it could be an overheating issue or the ribbon cable on the front of the console is glitchy

Shady

Shady

Super Moderator
Super Moderators
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
So anyway to fix those two issues?
sure is but it involves the console be taken apart and even if you did look at the issue above it could be something different. first thing i would do is look over the motherboard for anything that seems strange or doesn't seem it needs to be there.

how long were you playing it before it turned off?

N

Nimlord

Reaction score
Sin$
I might as well take it apart if I could fix it because can't take it back to the guy for he might accuse of me breaking it. I have been playing for close to 2 hours before it turned off on me.

Shady

Shady

Super Moderator
Super Moderators
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
I might as well take it apart if I could fix it because can't take it back to the guy for he might accuse of me breaking it. I have been playing for close to 2 hours before it turned off on me.
also check to see if its been taken apart before if the warranty sticker is there or not.

Shady

Shady

Super Moderator
Super Moderators
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Warranty sticker is still there and it is on tight and seems to be not taken apart before.
so if you were playing for 2 hours and it turns off i definitely would check the thermal paste first. the guy could of dropped the xbox at some point and knocked some motherboard capacitors or something.

N

Nimlord

Reaction score
Sin$
so if you were playing for 2 hours and it turns off i definitely would check the thermal paste first. the guy could of dropped the xbox at some point and knocked some motherboard capacitors or something.
It seems to be the case by judging from all the scratches it has. However I don't wanna mess with the CPU since I don't have any thermal paste at hand to replace it. Do I have to pay for Microsoft tech guys to take a look at it?

Shady

Shady

Super Moderator
Super Moderators
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
It seems to be the case by judging from all the scratches it has. However I don't wanna mess with the CPU since I don't have any thermal paste at hand to replace it. Do I have to pay for Microsoft tech guys to take a look at it?
if you want to pay for it sure it will cost you tho. it wont cost you a lot if you do it yourself tho.

Fogel

Fogel

Call Me Mclovin!
Reaction score
Sin$
Check the power supply, maybe using a different one may work. Seems like the console is no longer getting power.

N

Nimlord

Reaction score
Sin$
if you want to pay for it sure it will cost you tho. it wont cost you a lot if you do it yourself tho.
Check the power supply, maybe using a different one may work. Seems like the console is no longer getting power.
I am gonna try a new charger and if that does not work I will check out if there is a problem with the motherboard or the PSU. Wish me luck guys.

Jaykae

Jaykae

Removed
Grammar Nazi Hardened Veteran Reporter
Reaction score
Sin$
Sorry, I shouldn't laugh. If it was your PSU, it wouldn't have worked for 2 hours and then stopped.
What color is your PSU brick? orange or?
It could be just overheating because of dust, I saw a post on reddit a few days ago with the OG XB1 and it was full of dog hair because the owner had a dog and it was on the floor..
Might want to check it's not full of dust.
I had the exact same problem with an XB1S and it wasn't the power supply or the CPU. it was the motherboard.

Good luck. :wink:

Last edited:
N

Nimlord

Reaction score
Sin$
Hey guys, got the XB1 back up in running. The culprit was the power brick. I messed with my 360 power brick and got the pins aligned up to fit into the XB1 and it works fine now. Also should note that the older power brick light was orange when plugged in and it had so much goddamn hair inside it like in a barber shop :biggrin:. I am scared if there is also a lot of hair collected inside the console itself. Anyway thanks for all the help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom
Login
Register