What's new

Discussion Xbox One Hardware Upgrades Teased.

• Thread starter HexDecimal
  • Start date
  • Views 1,936
HexDecimal

HexDecimal

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
Was browsing the Xbox One subreddit (Am I the only one here that does?) and found this article: http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/1/11121666/xbox-one-hardware-upgrades-phil-spencer-microsoft

So this may be the last "Xbox", and you just upgrade your console every 4-5 years. I am sure they are going to milk this for all the money they can get, but I think this might be cheaper for the customers in the long run. Just buy a new $100 GPU, than a $500 console.

TheItalianLad

TheItalianLad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I hope this is actually happen. I am pretty sure of it though because most rumours I see on that subreddit end up actually happening so gee up!

N

NavK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I hope not, I buy a console for a single configuration.

I rather update my PC. Probably MS is getting out of console business.

R

Reamy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I do not think they will ever make the Xbox upgradable, it would make it harder to optimize games because they would have to do so for two configs, and split the community.

IrishCaveman

IrishCaveman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I would much rather this, I don't know how coding for games work but couldn't they just have the games running like pc, as in low, medium, high & ultra for the settings. Depending on the version(upgrades) of xbox you have, you can choose the settings that match your system.

Which means those who never want to upgrade can choose to stay at the graphics that were being output when they bought the xbox? They could then just make the jump every 5-7 years as the "Next Gen" jump.

T

Tazmad69

Reaction score
Sin$
I have seen a video of Phil Spencer talking about this so believe they are looking into this. I have been wanting this for ages and for this reason, when a console is being made to when it is finally released the tech is already old so if you could somehow slide out an expansion and replace it with updated hardware to make use of advancements in technology that is a huge win for us as gamers as long as it is not forced. I am sure at some point it will get to where you would need a certain hardware to run the newest games.

Say stock hardware could run 3 years of games and a new hardware expansion comes out you can choose to stay with stock and still run the next 2 years of games but if you upgrade you benefit. We are now at the 5 year mark and another expansion comes out where you can still stay at stock for about another year before you would have to upgrade to hardware version 1

Amnesys

Amnesys

Praise Cheesus
Reaction score
Sin$
You do see the problem here the Xbox one in its current state can't be upgrade hence you would have buy the new xb1 to be enable to upgrade The hardware this is a horrble idea from MS.

T

Tazmad69

Reaction score
Sin$
The xbox in its current state very well could be. You could just have something that plugs into the back of the console or clips onto it. They could also release a new system as well so people can choose if they but the addon or new system.

T

The404Spartan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
The xbox in its current state very well could be. You could just have something that plugs into the back of the console or clips onto it.
lmao. Let me just plug in my USB 3.0 PCI-e expansion slot for my new gpu.

T

Tazmad69

Reaction score
Sin$
Who knows what is possible, just because you think it can't be done doesn't mean it can't. I know this is a bit different but MS said backwards compatibility WASN'T possible but guess what we have now

T

The404Spartan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Who knows what is possible, just because you think it can't be done doesn't mean it can't. I know this is a bit different but MS said backwards compatibility WASN'T possible but guess what we have now
There's a difference between hardware and software.

T

Tazmad69

Reaction score
Sin$
There's a difference between hardware and software.

No kidding but what I was getting at was they said it was impossible but then they managed to do it. Just beacuse it seems like it can't be done doesn't mean it can't be. Thinking like this slow down advancements that why is good to keep an open mind.

televisedfool

televisedfool

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
“The feedback I’ve received about, ‘Hey, am I going to break open my console and start upgrading individual pieces of my console?’ That’s not our plan,” the executive said during Major Nelson’s latest podcast.

Spencer went on to say that not having to build and upgrade the damn thing yourself but having it “just work” is what makes consoles “special”.

“It’s not like I’m going to ship a screwdriver set with every console that comes out,” he said.

When Spencer talks about upgrading hardware, it seems what he actually means is stuff like adding backwards compatibility to Xbox One, or Sony’s support of virtual reality with PlayStationVR. Spencer wants that sort of thing to happen more often, rather than only with new console generations – a cycle everyone now expects to last about eight years at a time.

So, uh – it looks like Spencer wasn’t really saying anything at all besides “well done all round”.

source

N

NineTwoSeven927

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Anyone who thinks that you will be able to swap your xbox parts around is a fool. There is no way. He said he wants to base it off the iPhone model where you get new hardware yearly or most likely biyearly

IrishCaveman

IrishCaveman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
They have confirmed it won't be modular and we won't be opening our xbox up to put new parts in.
http://www.geek.com/games/microsoft-says-the-xbox-one-wont-be-modular-like-a-pc-1649296/

Which brings the question, what are they going to do?
They can't bring out a new one every two years at the same price, people would rather get a pc if the upgrades are that often at full cost of a new machine. I'm stumped, unless they offer a trade in program that doesn't cost much or sets up brick and mortar locations to get components swapped out(Yes I know this will not be done). These are the only two things I can think of for now

DeeLaRoc

DeeLaRoc

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
I think that the last generation went a little longer than previously. So I do expect a new generation of consoles in 5 years from the launch of this current gen (which was 2013) anyways, they have had ads up already for researching and developing the next generation already. Micro$oft more than likely wants this next gen to be able to keep up, they are trying to do that whole universal app thing, so maybe this would work with games in the future too. Look at Rise of the Tomb Raider, the Steam version has more options but the Windows Store version has less options out. Maybe they are planing a new approach as the last one went horribly and they've already said they lost to $ony this generation.

T

The404Spartan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Been looking around and you can get external GPU's that plug into laptops via usb 3.0 so why couldn't MS produce an external GPU for xbox one?
Mind linking something M$ might use? Something like Thunderbolt would work a lot better than USB 3.0 which the xbox one doesn't have.

T

Tazmad69

Reaction score
Sin$
Yes thunderbolt would work better but that does not mean USB 3.0 won't. I am sure they have the tech to make it work via USB 3.0

IrishCaveman

IrishCaveman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Sony just announced full details on PlayStation VR which comes with an external GPU

Top Bottom
Login
Register