What's new

Tutorial XBOX ONE – How To Install A Bigger Hard Drive !

R

Randactyl

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Hi anyone still lurking this thread. I thought I'd update real quick.

Update: after the February update I'm at 70.9% storage capacity with factory hdd.

Any news on whether this update did anything to this mod?
Everything still works. I was a part of the March preview and now I'm part of the April preview; nothing bad has happened. In fact, if you've read my previous posts in this thread I was complaining about problems after the December update. However, those have all been alleviated now and the issues seemed to get better with each successive system update.

So I just did the march update, Used j-runner to setup my 1tb seagate sshd. I copied over all the required files from the original hard drive to the new one and it hangs on the green xbox screen. I take it this doesn't work anymore? I hope there will eventually be a solid way to swap out hard drives
The last time I did the full HDD swap process was right after the December update. I found that I had to use the new files from the HDD that was in the console when the December update was installed. So maybe make sure you're using the right version of the required files? Also I used the Linux tool, not J-Runner.

Hope

Hope

~Big Face Hundreds~
Experienced Veteran Stickied Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
The regular please
XBOX ONE – How To Install A Bigger Hard Drive !

Posted by Xecuter on Nov 28, 2013 in Featured Articles | 0 comments

I think one of our dev team may have figured out how to successfully install a bigger HDD to an XBOX ONE. Tested with a 1TB so far and it seems to work well – although I haven't seen it myself yet. It's Thanksgiving night and i'm **** faced
smile.png

This is not a 100% confirmation but it's looking good so far. Will post more info as I get it.
Great for the scene to have the very first XBONE "hack" though
smile.png

UPDATE:
OK Confirmed
smile.png

Full credits to Juvenal for this little beauty – you rock bro
smile.png

As always no guarantees are given and use at your own risk !
[Click here to view this link]
[Click here to view this link]
Xbox One HDD Tools
What this does
Given any HDD over 500GB in size, you can format it for use with you Microsoft Xbox One console
How
56WNIjG.gif

Instructions

All of this must be done as root! I HIGHLY suggest you do this on a livecd or usb booted system if you don't 'know linux' and would rather not wipe the wrong hard drive.
  1. Connect your HDD and take note of what its called (ex: sda, sdb etc)
  2. Run the script with the device name as the first parameter
  3. It will b**** about missing partitions etc, but write a file with commands to create said missing partitions
  4. Run the created script
  5. Copy the correct files to the newly created partitions
  6. Unmount the newly created partitions
  7. Run the main script again
Putting it back together
When you put the new HDD in your console for the first time and boot up, the console will go the the green "Xbox One" screen, pause for a second or two, then shut down. Boot the console again. This time it should pause at the green screen for a while longer, then go to a black screen for even longer. It can take several minutes before anything happens after this, the xbox is automatically creating temporary files during this time. If you copied everything correctly, it WILL go to the dashboard eventually, just be patient!
What is linux?
Wait for a windows version
wink.png

Required Files
These can be gotten off your original HDD easily
xbone_hdd_files.jpg

We are working on a Windows app – maybe integrating with our already established HDD Hacker Tool that was used for the 360 or just something standalone. Stay Tuned
smile.png

--Straight Copy and Paste from Team Xecuter. Sounds like only linux users will be able to do this until they finish a windows version of the tool. This sounds very useful even though support for external HDDs was planning on being added.

Newest J-Runner Version with windows Support:
http://team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82434

Better?

UKsFLAMEZ

UKsFLAMEZ

I Like It, I like It A Lot..
Mr. Nice Guy 10th Anniversary Services
Reaction score
Sin$
Will give this a try when i get another X1 :smile: is 1TB the limit? or can bigger be put in?

R

Randactyl

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Will give this a try when i get another X1 :smile: is 1TB the limit? or can bigger be put in?
I would say up to 4TB since I'm pretty sure the xbone uses MBR instead of GPT.

Hi all! Everything is still smooth sailing with my 1TB SSHD. Although, with the addition of external storage, this method of increasing storage is way more risky than it is worth and should only be attempted if you have a particular inkling too or for some reason can't get your hands on a 250GB+ USB 3.0 external drive.

HQModz

HQModz

Xbox & PSN
Reaction score
Sin$
I have a working xbox one with a blank internal hard drive. I have tried using this method on multiple hard drives but keep getting the E200 system error. I have a feeling that microsoft changed some files or something and this tutorial doesn't work anymore.

Has anyone successfully changed their internal hard drive recently?

N

NotNotPat

Reaction score
Sin$
I changed mine about a week ago too 1TB SSD. I was getting the e200 error. Trying to remember how I fixed it... A lot of trial and error. I think ultimately I had to use the OSUDT2. the Jrunner method definitely does not work, and if you started with trying to use that method, make sure you fully format the drive in linux and start fresh. I don't know why this would matter but make sure you unmount the the partitions after you copy the the required files as well before you run he main script. I believe I i've made that mistake more then once. If I can think of anything else I'll more info.
If I have time this weekend I'll try swapping hard drives in another xbox one and see if can figure anything out.

Good Luck!

HQModz

HQModz

Xbox & PSN
Reaction score
Sin$
I changed mine about a week ago too 1TB SSD. I was getting the e200 error. Trying to remember how I fixed it... A lot of trial and error. I think ultimately I had to use the OSUDT2. the Jrunner method definitely does not work, and if you started with trying to use that method, make sure you fully format the drive in linux and start fresh. I don't know why this would matter but make sure you unmount the the partitions after you copy the the required files as well before you run he main script. I believe I i've made that mistake more then once. If I can think of anything else I'll more info.
If I have time this weekend I'll try swapping hard drives in another xbox one and see if can figure anything out.

Good Luck!

Thanks! This gives me some hope, if you figure anything else out please let me know

Last edited:
S

SilentIncognito

Reaction score
Sin$
I noticed in the original hard drive, theres I dont see sosinit, sostmpl. Is it because of the update?

Nokia

Nokia

[nokia@se7ensins ~]$
Lifetime
Beginning of An Odyssey Stickied Bug Finder
Reaction score
Sin$
Nice tutorial man, ill give this a shot after i get done making my case :smile:

P

phd333

Reaction score
Sin$
You guys should check out "GParted Live" Linux distribution (OS) that can be run from CD or USB will work wonders compared to the script you guys run. Its the best partition editor great for setting up new drives!

R

Razondirk

Reaction score
Sin$
I can guarantee that this works 100%. I just updated my hard drive and it wasn't too difficult. I used GParted and the Python script to format the hard drive. When you run the script initially and it talks about the partition, the script that gets created to setup the partition is slightly wrong. There are two ways to fix this, either create the partition as instructed or open up the makexboxfs file and put sudo in each line beginning from the first "parted" command. After that, follow the instructions as normal.

Top Bottom
Login
Register