What's new

Tutorial XBOX ONE – How To Install A Bigger Hard Drive !

Skyline xL

Skyline xL

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
Nice Post ,thanks for the info:wink:

nicholai

nicholai

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I just finished setting up my Seagate 1TB SSHD and it boots fine. All you need to do is use the updated versions of the required files. You can get these from a HDD that has received the December update.

How is the performance, especially in comparison with the std. Xbone HDD?

R

Randactyl

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
How is the performance, especially in comparison with the std. Xbone HDD?
When it works it definitely works. With instant on enabled, start up is near instantaneous. Loading times for games is shorter, but, since I'm using a hybrid drive, I only really notice this when I'm dedicated to one game and not loading a different game/app every hour or so.

The main issue is sometimes I have to fully shut down the Xbox after turning it on for it to be responsive. It seems to be that if the Xbox has been off for a few hours or if I've been playing a game for a few hours and then restart the Xbox, it will turn on to either the full dashboard and freeze or half load the dashboard with blurred text and then freeze.
At first I thought it was an issue with instant on, but when I disabled this practically every boot would freeze at the green Xbox One splash screen and the SSHD would "beep" 3 - 4 times. I found that for some reason if I ejected the bluray disc currently in the drive as soon as I heard the bluray drive spinning up, the Xbox would continue to boot.

I want to test out a full-fledged SSD, but I don't have one >= 500 GB. My current theory is that the Xbox is looking for its startup info on the SSD portion of the drive, but it isn't there because the SSHD has cached either game info or Netflix instead as that is the information being accessed the most. However, I also feel like this (pretty crippling) limitation would extend past the Xbox and into normal PCs as well. Of course I could be way off base.

I configured this drive with the python scripts mentioned in the original post. Since then, the latest J-Runner has an Xbox One HDD configurator that I'm planning to use to see if it might eliminate any of my issues. I just have to work up the energy to crack everything open again and then reinstall my stuff.

tl;dr - When it works it works. However, I usually have to startup, shutdown, cold boot in order to get going.

Last edited:
360Modder

360Modder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Is a ban a high concern? And off topic do they monitor voltage such as installing lights?

R

Randactyl

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Is a ban a high concern? And off topic do they monitor voltage such as installing lights?
I don't think there's concern for a ban on the HDD it's essentially a 1:1 swap. Has voltage monitoring been a thing in the past?

R

Randactyl

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
There's a system update coming on the 11th. The last update (December) kind of broke things with non-stock HDDs, and is my biggest scapegoat for the issues I've listed above. Since this new update deals with storage space management, I'm not so sure it'll bode well for non-stock HDDs and either break them completely or give them a mechanism to monitor total drive space.
I've been debating wether I should reinstall my stock HDD or not based on my startup issues alone. Now it's looking even more to be the more attractive option while I wait to determine if HDD space is being monitored or not based on the reports of others.

http://majornelson.com/2014/02/05/xbox-one-system-update-coming-feb-11/

superspeed

superspeed

XBLSE Lifetime member
Seasoned Veteran Grizzled Veteran Experienced Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
I just wanna know who actually needs more than 500GBs?
Well in the future seeing as how you have to install every game it will be a major design flaw on MS part to not allow the installation of bigger hdds.

superspeed

superspeed

XBLSE Lifetime member
Seasoned Veteran Grizzled Veteran Experienced Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Update: after the February update I'm at 70.9% storage capacity with factory hdd.

Any news on whether this update did anything to this mod?

Garrus Vakarian

Garrus Vakarian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
If

you find out let me know.
it did not i not have one but people say it still works 
really want this but i have windows and do not understand this completely should i just wait for the 1 tb drive microsoft is releasing this fall i mean not that many games are coming out between now and then right

I

Im Going Space

Reaction score
Sin$
okay so the original drive killed itself, im now down an xbox one unless one of you nice people can supply a copy of the files from an X1 Hard drive

I

ItZ UGSTA

We Come, We Rave, We Love
Forum Addict Experienced Veteran Grizzled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
okay so the original drive killed itself, im now down an xbox one unless one of you nice people can supply a copy of the files from an X1 Hard drive
Your HDD f*cked up already? Couldn't you send it back in?

I

Im Going Space

Reaction score
Sin$
nope, as it died when i plugged it into the pc to copy off the files to upgrade to a 1tb.

J

Jdee524

Reaction score
Sin$
So I just did the march update, Used j-runner to setup my 1tb seagate sshd. I copied over all the required files from the original hard drive to the new one and it hangs on the green xbox screen. I take it this doesn't work anymore? I hope there will eventually be a solid way to swap out hard drives

Garrus Vakarian

Garrus Vakarian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
So I just did the march update, Used j-runner to setup my 1tb seagate sshd. I copied over all the required files from the original hard drive to the new one and it hangs on the green xbox screen. I take it this doesn't work anymore? I hope there will eventually be a solid way to swap out hard drives
They are adding external support for hard drives soon

L

loma101

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I'm sorry, I don't exactly follow...

Do I remove the XB1 HDD and copy system files onto the new one? Please shed some more light on this.

neildee250

neildee250

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Will the Xbox One be able use all the hard drive space or is their limitations on space?

The limitations are an available space of 798.5GB but there is a 1.5GB version available now. Hitachi Travelstar 5K1500 :wink:

Top Bottom
Login
Register