What's new

Tutorial XBOX ONE – How To Install A Bigger Hard Drive !

Hope

Hope

~Big Face Hundreds~
Experienced Veteran Stickied Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
XBOX ONE – How To Install A Bigger Hard Drive !

Posted by Xecuter on Nov 28, 2013 in Featured Articles | 0 comments
I think one of our dev team may have figured out how to successfully install a bigger HDD to an XBOX ONE. Tested with a 1TB so far and it seems to work well – although I haven't seen it myself yet. It's Thanksgiving night and i'm **** faced
smile.png

This is not a 100% confirmation but it's looking good so far. Will post more info as I get it.
Great for the scene to have the very first XBONE "hack" though
smile.png

UPDATE:
OK Confirmed
smile.png

Full credits to Juvenal for this little beauty – you rock bro
smile.png

As always no guarantees are given and use at your own risk !
[Click here to view this link]
[Click here to view this link]
Xbox One HDD Tools
What this does
Given any HDD over 500GB in size, you can format it for use with you Microsoft Xbox One console
How
56WNIjG.gif

Instructions
All of this must be done as root! I HIGHLY suggest you do this on a livecd or usb booted system if you don't 'know linux' and would rather not wipe the wrong hard drive.
  1. Connect your HDD and take note of what its called (ex: sda, sdb etc)
  2. Run the script with the device name as the first parameter
  3. It will b**** about missing partitions etc, but write a file with commands to create said missing partitions
  4. Run the created script
  5. Copy the correct files to the newly created partitions
  6. Unmount the newly created partitions
  7. Run the main script again
Putting it back together
When you put the new HDD in your console for the first time and boot up, the console will go the the green "Xbox One" screen, pause for a second or two, then shut down. Boot the console again. This time it should pause at the green screen for a while longer, then go to a black screen for even longer. It can take several minutes before anything happens after this, the xbox is automatically creating temporary files during this time. If you copied everything correctly, it WILL go to the dashboard eventually, just be patient!
What is linux?
Wait for a windows version
wink.png

Required Files
These can be gotten off your original HDD easily
xbone_hdd_files.jpg

We are working on a Windows app – maybe integrating with our already established HDD Hacker Tool that was used for the 360 or just something standalone. Stay Tuned
smile.png

--Straight Copy and Paste from Team Xecuter. Sounds like only linux users will be able to do this until they finish a windows version of the tool. This sounds very useful even though support for external HDDs was planning on being added.

Newest J-Runner Version with windows Support:
http://team-xecuter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82434

Last edited:
H202H

H202H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I'll be happy to see when a tool is released for this.
Now, only if I can find a damn xbox one to begin with.

R

Randactyl

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Just did this. Works perfectly when following everything to a t.

When trying to copy other items, specifically everything in my Temp Content, User Content, and System Support partitions, the box wont load ANY apps at all. If you don't copy System Support items, the box will load system apps (some apps gave a "took to long to start" error but launched on the second try) after a second cold boot.

All copied game DVR files (in Temp Content) show up in Upload. The same result is had if only the GDVR files and User Content files are copied.

This was a long winded way of saying I'm pretty sure you'll have to reinstall all games and apps which is something I was hoping to avoid. Oh well, beggars can't be choosers I guess:wink:

neildee250

neildee250

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I'll work on the windows version friday. I need it for my project to excel.

Hanjin

Hanjin

Reaction score
Sin$
Will the Xbox One be able use all the hard drive space or is their limitations on space?

Nad1234

Nad1234

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
it won't work with a 1TB solid state and hybrid drives don't work either. I have a 1TB in my xbox one right now. it voids the microsoft warranty but if you bought your xbox one from best buy its still covered over geek squad protection and they can replace your console. geek squad protection also covers rooted android phones too.

Im a Leecher

Im a Leecher

In lulz we trust
Seasoned Veteran Grizzled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
it won't work with a 1TB solid state and hybrid drives don't work either. I have a 1TB in my xbox one right now. it voids the microsoft warranty but if you bought your xbox one from best buy its still covered over geek squad protection and they can replace your console. geek squad protection also covers rooted android phones too.

What happens when you try? I bought a 1TB SSHD I was going to use.

R

Randactyl

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
it wont boot. SSHD's will work with the ps4 though. 
Solid States and Hybrid Drives aren't supported.

I just finished setting up my Seagate 1TB SSHD and it boots fine. All you need to do is use the updated versions of the required files. You can get these from a HDD that has received the December update.

Will the Xbox One be able use all the hard drive space or is their limitations on space?

Yes - this process expands the User Content partition to take up the remaining space on larger drives.

Last edited:
johnnyrat125

johnnyrat125

Reaction score
Sin$
yes i can i dont even plan on puting the case back on because its gonna be water cooled

Last edited:
Top Bottom
Login
Register