What's new

Tutorial XBOX ONE – How To Install A Bigger Hard Drive !

b16r3d82

b16r3d82

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
maybe somebody can help me. i used linux to upgrade my xbone hdd to a 2TB hdd using the python commands and in linux everything looked fine. i put the xbone back together with the new hdd and it powered on perfectly although i had to redownload everything. but after i shut it down for the night and started it back up this morning i noticed my available hdd space went back to that as if i had my 500GB in it. Any ideas?

N

ndtemple417

Reaction score
Sin$
I can guarantee that this works 100%. I just updated my hard drive and it wasn't too difficult. I used GParted and the Python script to format the hard drive. When you run the script initially and it talks about the partition, the script that gets created to setup the partition is slightly wrong. There are two ways to fix this, either create the partition as instructed or open up the makexboxfs file and put sudo in each line beginning from the first "parted" command. After that, follow the instructions as normal.

can you give an example or post the corrections to the script or maybe a screenshot that would be really helpful and thanks for your time

M

Mad Ady

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Following this thread - sounds like it is still a go, even after updates.

Previously there was mention that swapping HDD after an update prevented the system using any more HDD space than what was available at the time of update - eg 500GB HDD before, meant only 500GB of new HDD was usable.

Can someone confirm this has been overcome?

b16r3d82

b16r3d82

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I would really like to know the same... and if there is some type of work-around to get everything to function properly

S

Startropic1

Reaction score
Sin$
I heard some people were getting errors using the J-Runner method, but that program has seen a few updates. I'm looking to upgrade my Xbone to a 2TB harddrive. Is the J-Runner method working well for that now? I really don't want to have to mess with Linux, (I know how to, I just don't like Linux.)

Viper187

Viper187

Reaction score
Sin$
SATA II (3Gbps), so if you're looking for faster loading in games, you're better off with a external USB 3.0 SSD.

Yeah, it's ridiculous both XB1 and PS4 are only SATA2. However, the 5400rpm drive included is a joke. I intend to at least swap in a 1-2TB SSHD for improved loading and seeking. If the damn Scorpio still only has SATA II, people need to start screaming at MS. The fact they made this slim model without the HDD swap being a normal option like PS4 in spite of people complaining about it from day one is a bad sign. Only ugly white and reminds me of a PS2. I've got the Gears 4 one preordered for now just because I have the Gears 3 X360 and I like the look.

p.s. If I get this 2TB XB1 and a 2TB SSHD, can I straight up clone the drive? Also, does anyone know the height limitations for hard drives in the slim? I assume it's still a 2.5" drive, but nobody mentions the thickness. I've seen them listed for sale in different sizes. I believe this was a concern for PS4 users as well.

Last edited:
sWitchx

sWitchx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks, this will help loads for users who only have the 500GB Xbox.

stefanschoemaker

stefanschoemaker

Reaction score
Sin$
Finally got it to work! With the Windows versiom of the utility. Tried with the linux one but with no succes.

Copy from your old hdd :

System update

All files

System support

cms.xvd

After this update your Xbox with the Microsoft Offline System Update USB (OSU1). It should work with latest update. Now got a 1tb hdd instead of a 500gb.

M

Mad Ady

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Hi there, so you can confirm that a HDD upgrade still works after latest updates? Last thing I read was that people who did this had the capacity in the new HDD (eg 1TB) limited to the original HDD - eg 500GB.

theFisher86

theFisher86

Reaction score
Sin$
So I used this method to try and replace the hd in my xbox1 after the HD died. I took out the original drive and just planned on reformatting it or repairing it but the original drive is completely ruined, my PC BIOS won't even detect it as a valid drive. My 7 year daughter had placed the speakers (giant magnets) on top of the xbox so it makes sense that the original hd was ruined. However after following these steps and installing OSU2 onto the new drive the xbox doesn't boot at all. It turns on but there is no video output whatsoever. Can anyone confirm if A.) the Xbox1 will show anything on the screen if an internal drive isn't plugged in? I'm just trying to figure out if my drive isn't setup correctly or if the xbox is completely bricked... Any help would be greatly appreciated b/c I really don't want to have to buy a whole new xbox.

Nokia

Nokia

[nokia@se7ensins ~]$
Lifetime
Beginning of An Odyssey Stickied Bug Finder
Reaction score
Sin$
So I used this method to try and replace the hd in my xbox1 after the HD died. I took out the original drive and just planned on reformatting it or repairing it but the original drive is completely ruined, my PC BIOS won't even detect it as a valid drive. My 7 year daughter had placed the speakers (giant magnets) on top of the xbox so it makes sense that the original hd was ruined. However after following these steps and installing OSU2 onto the new drive the xbox doesn't boot at all. It turns on but there is no video output whatsoever. Can anyone confirm if A.) the Xbox1 will show anything on the screen if an internal drive isn't plugged in? I'm just trying to figure out if my drive isn't setup correctly or if the xbox is completely bricked... Any help would be greatly appreciated b/c I really don't want to have to buy a whole new xbox.
I would suggest posting in the support section. You'll get an answer quicker.

Jbluefury

Jbluefury

Reaction score
Sin$
would this possibey be a way to make a exploit for the xbox one thinking about it

SquigglezZ

SquigglezZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Only just realized this was done like 20 days after the release.

M

Mad Ady

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Checking in on old thread - has been 2 years. Any confirm of this working in 2018?

Top Bottom
Login
Register