Xbox harddrive not being detected

Discussion in 'Xbox Support' started by Dance, Nov 18, 2008 with 7 replies and 1,297 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dance

Dance Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Hello.

I have tried to take pictures to help explain my problem.

I have followed the Hotswap tutorial

Code:

[B]HOTSWAP PROCESSING[/B]: 

step1: turn on pc then press then Break/Pause key. So the pc completely stop booting. 

step2: turn on xbox and wait until the microsoft logo appear under the big X and XBOX. Then disconnect IDE cable from xbox hdd and connect the one from PC to it. 

If you dont see microsoft logo and xbox goes straight to service screen or hang at the big X, then disconnect IDE cable from xbox's hdd just before xbox goes to service screen or hang. Being VERY careful not to jolt or shake the HD too much, disconnect the DATA cable from the harddrive WITHOUT powering off the xbox. 
    Now, the note after step2 is what I tried. My xbox does not hang at the X, it goes straight to the error. (12)

[​IMG]

This is what it looks like.

I have done exactly as it says. I hotswapped without shaking the HD so it doesn't restart, and when I scan for changes or try to open the drive, nothing happens.

Also when I remove the IDE cable from where it should normally hang, I get an error 7, but thats what is normal for not having an IDE cable in the hdd.

Any ideas/help?

Thanks in advance.

2. David5534

David5534 Premium Premium

Ratings:
    Ok, first unplug the xbox's DVD drive so you get error 12, then wait 20 or so seconds and unplug the xbox's hdd and plug it into the computer, next scan for hardware changes and try to open your drive with a few different version of xplorer360 as some don't work or only sometimes work.

• Like Like x 1
  3. OP
    Dance

Dance Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Okay well I must be doing something right, it is freezing when I scan for changes, lol. Should I try rebooting the computer?

4. David5534

David5534 Premium Premium

Ratings:
    I had the same problem, you can try (don't remember how i fixed it).

5. feudalnate

feudalnate Banned VIP

Ratings:
    When starting your computer, press the Pause/Break key to stop booting and detection of hardware. Plug in your HDD after being unlocked and press any key to continue booting.

6. OP
    Dance

Dance Enthusiast

Ratings:
    When I start up my computer it freezes on boot screen when I plugged in the xbox. It froze Windows when I plugged it in when my computer was started. What could be the problem? :frown:

7. feudalnate

feudalnate Banned VIP

Ratings:
    All I can say is just be very careful when removing/inserting the IDE and just keep on trying, you'll eventually get it.

8. OP
    Dance

Dance Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Well, I have been very careful.

I power on the xbox, DVD IDE cable already unplugged (HDD plugged in).

I get an error 12 after the little intro (No Microsoft shows up)

I unplug the HDD IDE Cable, and hook in the DVD Burner IDE cable.

I power on my computer, and it gets stuck as soon as it turns on. WHen I unplug the IDE cable from the xbox, it continues to power on.

Windows crashes when I plug in the Xbox IDE cable (already booted in)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.