K

Kickenwing

VIP
VIP
Reaction score
Sin$
Xbox Error Codes:
Description:
When you attempt to boot, a 'you need service' message comes up, and has a LED style number on the top left hand corner. Here is what they mean.
Xbox-error_06.jpg

Disclaimer:
This information is a believed to be correct, should be as close as it gets;
Also:

Bootloader stuff you should never see, since if it fails kernel doesn't boot. (thus you see no message)
Codes:

Error Code 02
Problem
: EEPROM check failed. This error is triggered by the bootloader and as a result does not display an error code on screen. You will see the Xbox rebooting and flashing red and green lights (FRAG).
Cause/Solution: You flashed something wrong or caused a short somewhere on your motherboard (possibly while soldering). If you're using a modchip and you just flashed it, try again using a different BIOS. If you recently did some soldering to your Xbox, check for any stray solder balls that may be present and carefully remove them.

Error Code 04
Problem
: RAM check failed. This error is triggered by the bootloader and as a result does not display an error code on screen. You will see the Xbox rebooting and flashing red and green lights (FRAG).
Cause/Solution: RAM chip failure. This could be from pins on the RAM chip(s) becoming bridged, possibly from an accidental splash of solder or a failed 128MB RAM upgrade. Remember, electrostatic shock can sometimes damage integrated circuit chips like RAM chips, so even if you can't see a problem, the RAM could still be fried. Replacing the RAM chips could be a solution but is risky and time consuming.

Error Code 05
Problem
: Hard disk drive (HDD) not locked.
Cause/Solution: If you have not replaced your Xbox's BIOS via a modchip/TSOP flash, then your HDD needs to be locked using a special password that is generated based on your Xbox's EEPROM, which is unique per each individual Xbox. Microsoft designed it this way to prevent people from being able to plug the drive into a computer and have access to its contents and thus hacking it. Virtually all non-retail BIOSes (including modchip/TSOP) will not require the hard drive to be locked in order to start. If you're seeing this error on a non-retail BIOS, then chances are your modchip/TSOP flash process had issues and for some reason you are now using a stock BIOS which is now requiring a password-locked hard drive again. If you're seeing this error and your Xbox has been softmodded (through gamesave/font/audio expoits), then you just need to lock your drive again. Hopefully you have your EEPROM backed up at this point because if not, things get a lot more complicated. If you unlocked your HDD on the Xbox itself (using ConfigMagic for example), chances are the app you used made a backup of your EEPROM for you and it's now sitting on your E:\ drive called "eeprom.bin" or something similar. You can plug the HDD into a computer at this point and use an Xbox hard drive explorer program like "Xplorer360" (Windows only) to view its files to copy your EEPROM backup. There are multiple ways to lock a HDD, one of which is by using XboxHDM by author ldotsfan. XboxHDM runs on a PC and one of its features is the ability to lock hard drives if you have an EEPROM backup. Choose option "3" from XboxHDM and follow the on-screen instructions to lock the HDD.
YRIttKi.jpg

Error Code 06
Problem
: Incorrect hard drive password.
Cause/Solution: The hard disk drive (HDD) is locked but it is locked with a password that belongs to a different Xbox. You will need to unlock the HDD and then re-lock it using the correct password. As stated above, each Xbox is locked using a password that is generated based on each Xbox's unique EEPROM. Assuming you have the EEPROM of your Xbox backed up, you will just need to unlock the drive and re-lock it using your EEPROM backup. See the solution for error 05 for more info.

Error Code 07
Problem
: Hard drive timeout / HDD took too long to become ready.
Cause/Solution: The Xbox seems to know the HDD is present but it times-out waiting for the drive to become ready and respond to commands. This is probably due to a loose connection or faulty wire. See the solution for code 08. Note: If you're using a SATA to IDE adapter, it's possible that the adapter you're using is not compatible with the drive you're using or isn't compatible with the Xbox at all. Try another SATA to IDE adapter / HDD combination. Some "green" drives are temperamental with certain SATA adapters.

Error Code 08
Problem
: No hard drive found.
Cause/Solution: The Xbox can't find the hard disk drive (HDD) while booting up. Try the following:
  • Make sure the IDE ribbon cable (flat grey cable) is securely connected to the HDD, the DVD drive, AND the motherboard itself.
  • Check the IDE cable for signs of damage. If the cable looks like it has been scraped or has evidence of any damage then replace it.
  • Check the HDD's power cable and make sure it's securely plugged in.
  • If you can wiggle the HDD power cable around and make the Xbox work at certain times, then the leads coming from the power supply are loose and the power supply should be replaced.
  • Take the HDD out and make sure the jumper is set correctly. There should be a diagram printed on the drive's label that shows how the jumper should be connected. Make sure its set to Cable Select (CS), Master, or isn't present at all. If the drive is set to Slave then you will run into issues!
  • If all other cables are in fact securely connected and not damaged, you can try replacing the IDE cable any way. It's possible that it is damaged in a way that isn't visible and IDE cables are cheap to come by.
  • If all else fails, your hard drive is probably to blame and is faulty and needs to be replaced.
Error Code 09
Problem
: Hard drive parameters are missing or incorrect.
Cause/Solution: Very uncommon error. The hard drive might be in the wrong transfer mode (PIO/DMA) or, if it's a debug console, the size isn't correct (minimum size is required for debug). Replace the hard drive.

Error Code 10
Problem
: DVD drive timeout.
Cause/Solution: Similar to error codes 07 and 08, this is usually caused by a loose/faulty cable. The Xbox seems to know the DVD drive is present but it times-out waiting for the drive to become ready and respond to commands. Check the yellow DVD cable running from the motherboard to the DVD drive. If all else fails, replace the DVD drive.

Error Code 11
Problem
: No DVD drive found.
Cause/Solution: The Xbox cannot find the DVD drive. Similar to error 10, this is usually from a loose/faulty cable. See solutions for error 10. Note: many non-retail BIOSes can configured to skip using a DVD drive entirely.

Error Code 12
Problem
: DVD drive parameters are missing or incorrect.
Cause/Solution: Not very common. Try solutions for error 10.

Error Code 13
Problem
: Dashboard failed to launch due to missing/bad key, or anything else that would prevent it from running and the dashboard didn't specify why it failed.
Cause/Solution: This can be caused by a kernel version issue but is a lot less common in recent years. Make sure you're running the latest kernel. If you're using a softmod, make sure your dashboard and softmod files are installed correctly. You might have luck using SID5 as your softmod installer if you're using something else currently.

Error Code 14
Problem
: Dashboard failed to launch (generic error).
Cause/Solution: Same as error 12 basically. This can also result from changing names of files or messing with files on the HDD without knowing the repercussions. A common cause is from changing the boot orders or names of startup files on the HDD. It can also happen when you are rebuilding your HDD with a Slayer CD and the power was cut.

Error Code 16
Problem
: Internal clock cannot be set.
Cause/Solution: This happens when the Xbox tries to boot to the stock dashboard in order to have you set the current date/time but fails to load the menu. This happens people that erase their HDD or stock dashboard files and afterwards don't immediately install the HDD but instead leave the Xbox without power for longer than 5 hours. The Xbox has capacitors in it that allow it to keep its clock set but it only has enough charge for about 3-5 hours before the clock clears and it asks you to set it again. This used to be a more common problem before people figured out how to get around it in later years. Virtually all modern (made after 2005) softmods and non-retail BIOSes will account for the clock reset problem. To fix this, try putting the stock dashboard back on your HDD's C:\ partition. After the Xbox boots up and is able to set the clock successfully, then you can continue on. If you DON'T have an eeprom backup and can't access the hard drive from a PC to put the stock dashboard back on it, then you can do a hotswap to gain access to the drive and continue with copying the stock dashboard over. Once you fix the issue, update your BIOS or softmod to a more recent version to avoid this in the future.

Error Code 20
Problem
: Dashboard failed to launch.
Cause/Solution: It was a cold boot, and the dashboard didn't specify why it failed, but it needed to be noted that the DVD passed the challenge/response authentication during boot.

Error Code 21
Problem
: Unspecific/generic error.
Cause/Solution: The Xbox was instructed (possibly by an XBE you launched) to reboot the Xbox and display this error. This occurs frequently when the Xbox is unable to boot due to dashboard changes being made (i.e. an XBE hasn't been signed correctly OR parts of the stock dashboard (C:\) are missing. Also, if you're using XbeShortcutMaker and seeing this error code then you might try regenerating the shortcut XBE file as it could be corrupted.

Credit: OCnewB [Xbox-Scene forums] & Superfro [Xbox-Scene forums] for compiling the list. deezp1 [Afterdawn forums] for more compiling and organization. GoTeamScotch [xbmc4xbox forums] for clean-up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I

IOM Terminus

Reaction score
Sin$
Dude i totally almost just ****ed my xbox to hell... But i got it fixed so ... yeah woo that was close ... Darn now i have a totally unmodded box ): boo

L

LGC

Banned
Reaction score
Sin$
is your xbox softmodded? error 6 is easy to fix actually the majority of errors are easy to fix but if you make a mistake in trying to fix them you will have a 10GB paper weight. What i would suggest is get a chip because there is always a backup on your chip and things are alot easier to fix that way.

ChopShop offers the Xecuter 3 for a really good deal so go there and check it out.

T

TomAss

Premium
Premium
Reaction score
Sin$
How do you fix these codes? I just got a 13. I don't know why. Everything highlighted on my ftp and froze. i couldn't do anything. i rebooted and got the 13

yeah i think i accidentally tried to pull all of my files on my xbox off and send them to the comp. like a reversed ftp. the arrows are all pointing down on the qued hist. i can't reconnect to it. can i fix it? put the xbox back to stock if i have to. what the heck happened? want a print screen anyone?

okay, i put the cd in that was used to mod my xbox (splinter cell) and got it to load over the error screen (hint for others) I started the game loading the checkpoints and got a dash to load. Now all of my dashboards have diff ip addresses for ftp'ing I had to go into unleash X cause that is what I got ftp to work on before. I put in the IP addy that it had and i could ftp again. Now.. (takes a breath) My problem to what I screwed up to get code 13..I accidentally went into C/sid/files and apparently tried to zip all the files in there. ex c,e,evox,f,g,unleash all turned into .zip Now, how do I bring them to the computer and unzip them to remove the code 13? Anyone? please? If not, i'm sure I can dig around further like I have been, reading all of you old posts( You are some smart people ) and figure it out. Let me know and I will do the same.

nope, well i didn't zip the files. they say zip but the file still opens. I still have the code 13. I can load my xbox using splinter cell to get into my dash. I don't know what happened but it wont load without it. I don't know what i have to delete and reload. I am looking everywhere and will wait to hear from someone. Someone please be patient and help me. I have the ftp working again. I can work with what you need to know.

Top Bottom
Login
Register