Solved Xbox elite disc drive wont read discs

• Thread starter Kataku
  • Start date
  • Views 7,156
K

Kataku

Reaction score
Sin$
ok my xbox wont read discs unless i sit there and open and close disc drive for over a hour longest i did it for was 4 hours i was hoping someone could help me figure out this issue

Hunter

Hunter

Trickshotter
Reaction score
Sin$
Your laser is probably knocked off. Buy a new one or send it to xbox unless you know how or wanna try to fix it yourself.

K

Kataku

Reaction score
Sin$
i dont have the money to fix but i dont know how i would fix it ethier to get the repairs done it would cost 120$ but how much is a used one 130$ or something

laser went bad in your drive. Either do the pot tweak, or replace the laser/drive.

im not sure what a pot tweak is

Victoria Justice

UnCle DiiGz

Contributor
Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
depends on the problem does it not read disc at all or just sometimes also when it doesn't work do you get the open tray error?

please explain your problem further also what have you tried to do to fix it?

K

Kataku

Reaction score
Sin$
depends on the problem does it not read disc at all or just sometimes also when it doesn't work do you get the open tray error?

please explain your problem further also what have you tried to do to fix it?
when i put in a disc all does is try to read disc for a sec and then it says open tray all i tried was compressed air and what ever microsoft told me

Victoria Justice

UnCle DiiGz

Contributor
Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
if you are experience with opening up your 360 and working with the parts inside then this could be a simple fix.If you are not then you can send it off to someone to try to fix for 30 dollars plus shipping.But if you decide to try to fix on your own here are some steps you can take.

oh another thing does it ever read the disc or not?

if it does sometimes then you can try this

open up your 360

tools needed are

torx t8
torx t10 ( you can probably get away with a t8 but you might strip the screws)
and a philips

so what you wanna do is search on youtube how to take apart the 360
once you got that done unscrew the 6 t10 screws holding the top of the shell to the metal chasis
2 disconnect the power and sata cords to the dvd drive
3 unscrew the 4 philips head screws holding the dvd shell together after you done that take the 2 metal pieces off of the drive so that you can see the laser
4. make note of where the laser is when you first take off the cover. ie is it closer to the motor or farther away
5 now you wanna plug the cords that you disconnected from the drive back into the drive
6 turn on the xbox and if the laser lights up then your laser still works and does not need to be replaced
7. another thing to do is to take off the magnet from the top of the dvd drive case. it is the thing that holds the disc in place when spinning.
8.once you got that off put a disc in the drive with magnet holding the disc down and turn on the 360 . keep an eye on the laser and its movement.
if laser doesnt move up and down on its tracks it could be a dirty disc or dirty laser be sure to clean the laser with a q tip gently

Comrade

Comrade

Crusty Old Dude
Retired
Mythical Veteran Contest Sponsor Tutorial Creator
Reaction score
Sin$
Try cleaning it. My friend had one he just gave me to me because it could not read disks. I just took it apart and cleaned it and it worked fine.

Top Bottom
Login
Register