Dismiss Notice

Guest,
We are celebrating 14 years since the inception of Se7enSins! Join us in our celebrations!

Unsolved Xbox Audio Buzz/Hum When Using Component Cables

Discussion in 'Xbox Support' started by PureChaosX, Feb 7, 2019 with 5 replies and 378 views.

1. PureChaosX

PureChaosX Newbie

Ratings:
    As the title says, I have an Xbox with an incredibly annoying buzz/hum problem.

The buzz comes from the speakers of the TV, not the Xbox itself. And only occurs when using the component cables. When using composite cables, the audio is perfectly fine. Haven't tried SCART as I do not have the cable.

I'm pretty sure this issue wasn't an issue just a few months ago. I've tried using different power cables, different power sockets (in case of grounding issue)... I think SOMETIMES it depends on what game is being played whether the buzz appears.

My Xbox is softmodded, with the only physical mod being a new SATA HDD using an HDD to SATA adapter. Is this a possible cause? The only other thing I can see are three capacitors that LOOK like they are bulging, but no leaking yet (cannot post links to photo due to lack of posts). The three caps in question are right below the CPU heatsink, labelled C3E2, C2E5 and C1E1.

Are these caps related to audio, or are they related to something else like power?

So the question is... does anyone out there have any ideas as to the cause of a buzzing noise with component cables that probably wasn't there a few months ago?

2. afterjo

afterjo Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Crappy, chinese component cables.

3. Cynder

Cynder Local Weird Guy

Ratings:
    Defiantly sounds like a crappy component cables if you ask me.

4. OP
    PureChaosX

PureChaosX Newbie

Ratings:
    This is strange, as I've been using these cables for a few years with no problems. The buzzing only seems to have started recently. I can't find any other component cables out there. The only ones I find are all the same as mine... and they're all over eBay.

5. afterjo

afterjo Enthusiast

Ratings:
    You can mod your component cable by soldering xbox360 component cable to you chinese xbox video plug.

6. KaosEngineeer

KaosEngineeer Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Those capacitors are the main power filtering caps for the supply voltages used on the motherboard. They need to be removed and replaced with like rated low- or ultra-low ESR capacitors. The capacitance, voltage rating and temperature rating along with the brand's type are printed on the case.

As they are electrolytic caps, they are polarized and need to be installed with the correct polarity. + is marked on the silkscreen on the motherboard and the - lead with a wide band. The - lead on the cap has a - sign down the side of the cap's casing and the + no markings on the case body opposite it.