• Start date
  • Views 798
NavyWalrus

NavyWalrus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Hi everyone :smile:

So I have my new computer monitor I want to set up to play Xbox on, but I don't always want to be switching cables in the back, cause eventually, something's going to break. It's got both DVI and VGA ports in the back, the DVI currently being used for the computer.

The cord that runs from the xbox to the monitor is DVI as well, but I have one of these XFX adapters
XFX_NEW_DVI2VGA_DVI_TO_VGA_ADAPTER.jpg
that's DVI to VGA.

So I guess my question is, can I have both plugged into both different ports at the same time, or will that f*** my monitor? If I can't, can you guys point me towards a switch or something that will allow me to swap between the two DVI cables?

Thanks

I have an adapter to plug the Red/White audio cables into my monitor/speakers/headset, so VGA not transferring audio isn't a problem.

Mr Blind

Mr Blind

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
If your TV has both DVI ports and HDMI ports then use the DVI for the computer and the HDMI for the Xbox 360.

Futile

Futile

Contributor
Grizzled Veteran Forum Addict Grammar Nazi
Reaction score
Sin$
Some monitors have different channels so effectively you can just switch between them.

NavyWalrus

NavyWalrus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Mr Blind, you didn't read what I posted, I think. :tongue:

Some monitors have different channels so effectively you can just switch between them.

Yeah, actually. I found the option on my monitor to switch inputs a second ago. So I guess I don't need anything else, it'll work as-is. Thanks!

I haven't bought my new xbox quite yet (RROD :tt2:smile: so I can't find out myself, but are there any noticeable differences between VGA and DVI? As said in the original post, sound isn't a problem.

Futile

Futile

Contributor
Grizzled Veteran Forum Addict Grammar Nazi
Reaction score
Sin$
Mr Blind, you didn't read what I posted, I think. :tongue:

Yeah, actually. I found the option on my monitor to switch inputs a second ago. So I guess I don't need anything else, it'll work as-is. Thanks!

I haven't bought my new xbox quite yet (RROD :tt2:smile: so I can't find out myself, but are there any noticeable differences between VGA and DVI? As said in the original post, sound isn't a problem.

Not any that you'll notice.

Top Bottom
Login
Register