• Thread starter weedahoe
  • Start date
  • Views 1,249
W

weedahoe

Reaction score
Sin$
Im a newb here but not a total newb. :wink:

I picked up a used 360 off CL that i knew worked (no RRoD) but wouldnt read discs. I was thinking a quick lens cleaning or drive swap and i would be good.

Uh.......no.

Boots up fine and goes to the dashboard. With no disc in it reads "open tray". I put a game in and it says "reading" and after a few seconds it goes back to "open tray". It had a Phillips drive BTW.

I took it all apart and blew the bust out the console and cleaned the lens but no change.

I got another box with a good Phillips drive so i put that in the CL box and it would recognize a game in the drive but when i went to play it, it would go to a white screen saying "To play the disc, please put it in an xbox 360 console".

So thinking MAYBE that drive wasnt any good i took another Phillips drive out of my personal 360 I use for Live and put it in the CL box. This time i recognized the game again and when i went to play it, it started to go to the next screen where you would see the splash screen for the game but would it go back to the dashboard.

I swapped both the cables from the mobo to the drive so.....uh.....anyone got any ideas.

ner0

ner0

Seasoned Member
Experienced Veteran Grizzled Veteran Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
I picked up a used 360 off CL that i knew worked (no RRoD) but wouldnt read discs. I was thinking a quick lens cleaning or drive swap and i would be good.
Bit of a long shot don't u think? :tongue:

Hitomi Tanaka

x Yo1nK x

❤Boobie-Chan❤
Grizzled Veteran Services Frame In Gold
Reaction score
Sin$
KEEP YOUR CONSOLE!

All you need to do is a simple POT Tweak to the DVD Drive. Follow this wonderful tutorial by Carson found here: http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/topic/93454-how-to-pot-tweak-xbox-360-dvd-drives/

It will work if your console has the "Disc Read" error. :smile:

I hope this helped.

*EDIT*

Be sure to use the dvd drive that came with the "CL" console, as it is paired with the mobo. This is why you can't just swap drives, you need to swap the logic board within the drive.

W

weedahoe

Reaction score
Sin$
KEEP YOUR CONSOLE!

All you need to do is a simple POT Tweak to the DVD Drive. Follow this wonderful tutorial by Carson found here: http://www.se7ensins...360-dvd-drives/

It will work if your console has the "Disc Read" error. :smile:

I hope this helped.

*EDIT*

Be sure to use the dvd drive that came with the "CL" console, as it is paired with the mobo. This is why you can't just swap drives, you need to swap the logic board within the drive.

thanks and i will try this. if it is the laser and the unit needs to be replaced, what are the steps to doing so since it is paired?

I

IwearHelmet4Bed

Getting There
Seasoned Veteran Grizzled Veteran 10th Anniversary
Reaction score
Sin$
I think you can get a laser for about £8, but you could probably buy a new drive for about £20 maybe less.
I had a quick look on Youtube about changing lasers, this is the first video that came up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMissjiWwh8

You could dump the key from the old drive to the new drive, but I dont think its safe to Xbox Live with?

W

weedahoe

Reaction score
Sin$
well i did the pot tweak last night in increments of 1k ohm and got all the way down to 3k ohm and no change so ill buy a new lens off ebay for 10 shipped.

changing a board or soldering isnt hard but changing the lens looks easier and less work to me.

thanks guys and ill report back on this once i get it put back together and running.

W

weedahoe

Reaction score
Sin$
well the new lens came in and i swapped it out and guess what??

same problem :frown:

i load the disc and it goes from reading back to open tray.

guess i gotta replace the drive and flash it. can anyone share a link of a tutorial on how to do so or share some more ideas

I

IwearHelmet4Bed

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
well the new lens came in and i swapped it out and guess what??

same problem :frown:

i load the disc and it goes from reading back to open tray.

guess i gotta replace the drive and flash it. can anyone share a link of a tutorial on how to do so or share some more ideas
Has somebody already tried to flash the drive? Maybe its due to a bad flash?

W

weedahoe

Reaction score
Sin$
its possible. i cant say what the previous owner did. Anyone gotta link on how to flash the drive?

I

IwearHelmet4Bed

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
Look around the forums there are plenty of TUT's on how to flash your drive.

D

digiboom

Reaction score
Sin$
Here are my suggestions..use jungleflasher and get the dvd drive key from the original drive..get a similar one and upload the key to that new drive..the problem you are having is that the bios has one key and your new drives have another key...or you can do the drive spoofing..or even better flash your box and chip it so you can run stuff directly off the drive.

Top Bottom
Login
Register