• Start date
  • Views 1,146
N

Newcomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Hello

I have an XBOX 360 SLIM 250GB (manf date 1/9/2011) and would like to mod this console (RGH). I did some research and to my understanding: I need a CoolRunner, NAND flasher, some wires and that's it.

I don't want to spend a fortune on this project as I already have a LT3 XBOX which works flawlessly and I'm doing this project just for fun, so I'd like to keep the costs minimal.

I found the following parts on eBay:

Matrix NAND Programmer MTX SPI NAND Flasher: https://goo.gl/bVL80E

Coolrunner Rev D: https://goo.gl/SFeci2

I already have some wires (that look like this: https://goo.gl/UHzt9c).

Am I missing something? Are the mentioned parts on eBay enough for modding the XBOX 360 (RGH)? Are the wires OK for this specific project (connecting the Matrix flasher)?

I'd be glad if you can link me to tutorials explaining the procedure for my XBOX and the tools I'll be using!

Thanks!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 777936

Houston, we have a problem.
Reaction score
Sin$
Hello

I have an XBOX 360 SLIM 250GB (manf date 1/9/2011) and would like to mod this console (RGH). I did some research and to my understanding: I need a CoolRunner, NAND flasher, some wires and that's it.

I don't want to spend a fortune on this project as I already have a LT3 XBOX which works flawlessly and I'm doing this project just for fun, so I'd like to keep the costs minimal.

I found the following parts on eBay:

Matrix NAND Programmer MTX SPI NAND Flasher: https://goo.gl/bVL80E

Coolrunner Rev D: https://goo.gl/SFeci2

I already have some wires (that look like this: https://goo.gl/UHzt9c) and an Xecuter X360USB PRO V1 and CK3 Lite left from my LT3 mod (although I'm not sure if I'd need them for this project).

Am I missing something? Are the mentioned parts on eBay enough for modding the XBOX 360 (RGH)? Are the wires OK for this specific project (connecting the Matrix flasher)?

I'd be glad if you can link me to tutorials explaining the procedure for my XBOX and the tools I'll be using!

Thanks!
You need a soldering iron, solder, flux, and of course soldering skills. I would highly recommend sending it to someone with experience, as you risk breaking your console.

N

Newcomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
You need a soldering iron, solder, flux, and of course soldering skills. I would highly recommend sending it to someone with experience, as you risk breaking your console.
I already have soldering iron, solder, and flux. I have fair soldering skills as I've done projects that required soldering in the past without any problems. This is also a backup console that I no longer use, so modding it will bring it to life and if I end up breaking it I won't be too upset :smile:
Are the other tools I've mentioned enough? Can the Matrix NAND Programmer MTX SPI NAND Flasher read/write/program the NAND and complete the procedure successfully? What am I missing?

J

JoinTheResistance

Dead to the world, alive for the journey...
Reaction score
Sin$
Instead of a Coolrunner get an x360 ace and I would recommend a JR programmer over a matrix nand flasher. The matrix will work, but it won't be able to program the ace, if the pre-flashed file doesn't work.
Are the wires OK for this specific project (connecting the Matrix flasher)?
The wires need to be thin enough to be easy to solder and thick enough not to brake easily. 26AWG and 28AWG work best.

N

Newcomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Instead of a Coolrunner get an x360 ace and I would recommend a JR programmer over a matrix nand flasher. The matrix will work, but it won't be able to program the ace, if the pre-flashed file doesn't work.

The wires need to be thin enough to be easy to solder and thick enough not to brake easily. 26AWG and 28AWG work best.
Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it.
The JR programmer is expensive compared to the matrix, and since I'll be only modding one console I prefer to keep the costs minimal.
I chose the Coolrunner rev D because there seem to be a lot of video tutorials on Youtube for this chip and they're easy to follow. Is there any reason why you recommend the x360ace? Is installation different? And can you elaborate a little bit more about the matrix thing (to my understanding I need the matrix to read the nand, modify it, and write it back)?

J

JoinTheResistance

Dead to the world, alive for the journey...
Reaction score
Sin$
I chose the Coolrunner rev D because there seem to be a lot of video tutorials on Youtube for this chip and they're easy to follow. Is there any reason why you recommend the x360ace?
Since your console is made in 2011, it's probably a Corona, Rev C and D chips aren't very good on those. Just because someone got it barely working on youtube doesn't change that. The X360 ace on the other hand works flawlessly and is the same price, if not cheaper.
And can you elaborate a little bit more about the matrix thing (to my understanding I need the matrix to read the nand, modify it, and write it back)?
You will also need to program the glitch chip with something, it won't work while it's empty. The Ace comes pre-programmed for Coronas, but I still recommend having some means of re-programming it, if it becomes necessary.
One thing to keep in mind about RGHing is it can be very random. One thing that works on one console, might make things worse on another.

N

Newcomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Since your console is made in 2011, it's probably a Corona, Rev C and D chips aren't very good on those. Just because someone got it barely working on youtube doesn't change that. The X360 ace on the other hand works flawlessly and is the same price, if not cheaper.

You will also need to program the glitch chip with something, it won't work while it's empty. The Ace comes pre-programmed for Coronas, but I still recommend having some means of re-programming it, if it becomes necessary.
One thing to keep in mind about RGHing is it can be very random. One thing that works on one console, might make things worse on another.
Well.. After opening the console the motherboard turned out to be a Trinity motherboard and not Corona. I've already ordered a JR-Programmer v2. Is the X360ACE still my best option considering I have a Trinity and not a Corona?

Top Bottom
Login
Register