• Thread starter ScottR31
  • Start date
  • Views 2,701
ScottR31

ScottR31

Reaction score
Sin$
Hi,

Long, long, long time (2009) since I have been on here since my modding days lol.

A friend gave me his old xbox which is just booting to a red dot in the center (not 3RL) and the secondary code shows 4-4-2-4 (which I read up is 0020).

I have tried stripping it down and cleaning, removing paste and reapplying MX4 etc but same issue still occurs.

As most say this is an overheating issue the weird thing is when its powered on even for a while there is no heat at all building up in the console on the heatsink. (why the towel trick is pointless trying if there is no heat)

Any ideas why or what I can try? Or is this basically a dead GPU chip?

Also this console has not been modded in any way.

Thanks

Last edited:
teb

teb

Project & Sales Manager
Administrator
Odysseus' Summit Scaling the Mountain Stickied
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
So in short, you have a harddrive issue, or a power cord issue. lol. Try replacing the harddrive (or even just take it out and that should fix the issue.) If that doesn't work replace your power brick/cord and that should work. I don't know what else would give you the HD error
You might also find a fix to your problem here.
Thread
Or Here...

ScottR31

ScottR31

Reaction score
Sin$
So in short, you have a harddrive issue, or a power cord issue. lol. Try replacing the harddrive (or even just take it out and that should fix the issue.) If that doesn't work replace your power brick/cord and that should work. I don't know what else would give you the HD error
You might also find a fix to your problem here.
Thread
Or Here...
I tried a different power cord yesterday still same issue, and also his Xbox doesn't have a hard drive installed in it, doesn't it have internal memory anyway?

I will look into the reballing GPU but I doubt its worth it, second hand is better option possibly.

GandaulkMcNugget

GandaulkMcNugget

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
ScottR31 ScottR31 Did it turn out to be a reball? Might sound silly, but double check your PSU. If you have a Trinity, you need to make sure it's the 135w PSU. The 120W Corona varient will cause the issue you're experiencing, as well.

B

BluesMan67

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
ScottR31 ScottR31 Did it turn out to be a reball? Might sound silly, but double check your PSU. If you have a Trinity, you need to make sure it's the 135w PSU. The 120W Corona varient will cause the issue you're experiencing, as well.
Eh ??????????????????? i've used my Slim power supply between my own Trinity and Corona's.So your very much mistaken in your claim.I have been modding the 360's for over 10+ years and i'm not some newbie.
I have never,ever witnessed a Corona RDOD with using a Trinity PSU,nor a Trinity RDOD using a Corona PSU.

GandaulkMcNugget

GandaulkMcNugget

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Eh ??????????????????? i've used my Slim power supply between my own Trinity and Corona's.So your very much mistaken in your claim.I have been modding the 360's for over 10+ years and i'm not some newbie.
I have never,ever witnessed a Corona RDOD with using a Trinity PSU,nor a Trinity RDOD using a Corona PSU.
Just throwing out suggestions. Nobody asked about the integrity of your modding career. I haven't personally seen a red dot over a PSU either. My apologies, my response wasnt meant to bother you so deeply. Hopefully OP can figure it out with your help

GandaulkMcNugget

GandaulkMcNugget

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
To provide a better explanation for OP: The red dot can be the result of many problems on these slims. Typically, I start with the power supply (Sorry I suggested that), and make sure I'm using the proper one. Underpowering a system can cause problems. Yes, 120w can get a trinity to boot, but that's a bad idea. Not rocket appliances here.

A reflow may be needed. But usually I try without an HDD (Faulty hard drives can cause dot issue) or a different PSU to make sure it isnt a really simple fix.

Top Bottom
Login
Register