What's new

Question Xbox 360 Slim Error Code E79, 1033

G

Gray Fox

Reaction score
Sin$
Hello,

From what I've been reading over the past few days, it seems that this error is common with people trying to JTAG their systems. The issue with my console is that it is stock and hasn't been tampered with before. It just happened out of the blue and now the console won't fully boot anymore.

Pressing the power button, the start-up animation plays but gets cut half way and error E79 shows up. The console shows only a center red light/dot (none of the rings are illuminated) and a secondary error code 1033.

It's a Halo 4 Xbox 360 Slim, which I believe is a Corona v3. Am I completely screwed here? I am willing to open up the console and do some soldering if I can get it fixed. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Rengar

Rengar

The Knifecat
Reaction score
Sin$
"E79 - This error occurs when your harddrive is defective, it might still work sometimes....
There is also a small chance that it is a cold joint under the Southbridge causing problems with the I/O of the HDD. It can also be related to wiring the diodes while JTAGGING. Couldn't start xam.xex
////
1033 - it could be cpu/gpu related or it could be psu related, not much info is known for sure. If you installed the JTAG hack on your console it may be related to the wiring being installed poorly."

Taken from: https://www.se7ensins.com/forums/threads/xbox-360-error-codes-explained-and-how-to-fix-them.2480/

Try booting it without a hard drive in. If it still doesn't work, try using a known working power supply.

If either of those options don't work, you can send it to someone to reflow your southbridge/gpu/cpu. A reflow is not an easy task if you've never practiced before.

G

Gray Fox

Reaction score
Sin$
The hard drive is fine, tested it on another Xbox and it works. Booting the console without a hard drive yeilds the same results. My power supply also works fine on my other Xbox.

If either of those options don't work, you can send it to someone to reflow your southbridge/gpu/cpu. A reflow is not an easy task if you've never practiced before.

The problem with that is I'm located in a third world country and the only way to get the console to someone would be to ship it, which is honestly not worth the time and money.

I've got a soldering station with a hot air gun, would that be enough to try and reflow? Are there any video guides for it? I can give it a shot. Is it possible to reflash the NAND? since I assume that a corrupted NAND is the issue.

Rengar

Rengar

The Knifecat
Reaction score
Sin$
The hard drive is fine, tested it on another Xbox and it works. Booting the console without a hard drive yeilds the same results. My power supply also works fine on my other Xbox.

The problem with that is I'm located in a third world country and the only way to get the console to someone would be to ship it, which is honestly not worth the time and money.

I've got a soldering station with a hot air gun, would that be enough to try and reflow? Are there any video guides for it? I can give it a shot. Is it possible to reflash the NAND? since I assume that a corrupted NAND is the issue.
It's not a corrupted NAND if you say you've never tried to modify the console. It's a cold joint under the southbridge (most likely) or a cold/bridged joint under the cpu/gpu.

A hot air rework station would work fine, yes, just use copious amounts of flux and try not to blow any crucial components off the board. I'll find you pictures of which chip is which, and you can take it upon yourself to try and fix it (note there is a real risk of bricking the console if you mess this up).

G

Gray Fox

Reaction score
Sin$
I'll find you pictures of which chip is which, and you can take it upon yourself to try and fix it (note there is a real risk of bricking the console if you mess this up).

Much appreciated, I don't really have any other choice in the matter since if I don't try to fix it - it's a bricked console.

Rengar

Rengar

The Knifecat
Reaction score
Sin$
shHjU8S.jpg

I believe the orange chip is the southbridge, the red chip is the CPU/GPU and the green chips are the RAM.. Can anyone confirm for me? Noobert HuskerHeaven

Top Bottom
Login
Register