What's new

Solved Xbox 360 Slim disk drive completely stopped working. Help.

Wizzle

Wizzle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I was trying to dissemble the xbox for hot swapping, and got everything off, when I replugged the disk drive it no longer worked nothing. Not even the laser, the disk tray wont open, the disk doesn't spin, nothing. I made sure the 2 cables in the back where nice a tight, I opened the drive manually by poking it and didn't seem to fix anything.

I was having problems taking out the disk drive because the hardware was very tight, but I don't think I damaged it. Does anyone know how to fix it? I will post a video later. thanks.

WzlMCA.jpg

kanyun

kanyun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully you weren't flagged when you powered on the Xbox without the DVD drive being detected.

Double check the cables, check all of them, not just the ends that plug into the drive. Make sure the ribbon cables are all connected inside the drive too.

Wizzle

Wizzle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully you weren't flagged when you powered on the Xbox without the DVD drive being detected.

Double check the cables, check all of them, not just the ends that plug into the drive. Make sure the ribbon cables are all connected inside the drive too.

Yup, I checked the other cables including the tape looking ones; I unplugged them and reconnected them.

kanyun

kanyun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's the dustiest slim ive ever seen lol. Looks like you're either missing something, like a cable isn't pushed in all the way (easy to overlook with ribbon cables) or your drive is dead.

Wizzle

Wizzle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's the dustiest slim ive ever seen lol. Looks like you're either missing something, like a cable isn't pushed in all the way (easy to overlook with ribbon cables) or your drive is dead.
I re-assembled my xbox and I see my "power button" green light keeps flashing as if I pressed the eject button but I haven't.

Would you happen to know why it keeps flashing?

kanyun

kanyun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I re-assembled my xbox and I see my "power button" green light keeps flashing as if I pressed the effect button but I haven't.

Would you happen to know why it keeps flashing?

That means the Xbox isn't detecting that a drive is even connected. It has to be an issue with power to the drive, either that or there is corrupt/nonexistent firmware on the drive. Did you do any flashing?

Wizzle

Wizzle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That means the Xbox isn't detecting that a drive is even connected. It has to be an issue with power to the drive, either that or there is corrupt/nonexistent firmware on the drive. Did you do any flashing?
Nope I strictly took it apart for hotswapping. I did go pretty rough on it since it was my first time taking apart an xbox, and I didn't know how to properly disassemble it. There could be a chance that I may have loosened up a cable around there.

I just checked all the connections on my drive and tightened them more, but it's still happening, where would I find the "power" cables at? Would I have to take apart my xbox further more? I am willing to do anything right now as I can't play games anymore because my drive doesn't even spin nor read my games :S

Enemy RPG

Enemy RPG

# Fredrik #
Frame In Gold
Reaction score
The same happend to my Xenon

kanyun

kanyun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope I strictly took it apart for hotswapping. I did go pretty rough on it since it was my first time taking apart an xbox, and I didn't know how to properly disassemble it. There could be a chance that I may have loosened up a cable around there.

I just checked all the connections on my drive and tightened them more, but it's still happening, where would I find the "power" cables at? Would I have to take apart my xbox further more? I am willing to do anything right now as I can't play games anymore because my drive doesn't even spin nor read my games :S

Well being rough with it could have broken a connection anywhere.

http://www.ndstake.com/images/product/102281/1.jpg

The cable with the white ends will be your DVD power cable. ensure it is properly plugged into the drive and the motherboard. Check for any of the individual wires not being connected to the white part anymore. You could have also loosened the power port on the drive if you were rough with disconnecting cables. It may need to be resoldered or replaced on the DVD drive pcb.

Wizzle

Wizzle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well being rough with it could have broken a connection anywhere.

http://www.ndstake.com/images/product/102281/1.jpg

The cable with the white ends will be your DVD power cable. ensure it is properly plugged into the drive and the motherboard. Check for any of the individual wires not being connected to the white part anymore. You could have also loosened the power port on the drive if you were rough with disconnecting cables. It may need to be resoldered or replaced on the DVD drive pcb.

man... I opened it up more to find the other end to th DVD Power cable and it was in there perfect, but I disconnected it and reconnected it just to make sure, and it still doesn't work. Every cable I see is nice and tight, I have no idea wtf to do.

What other options can I consider?

kanyun

kanyun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
man... I opened it up more to find the other end to th DVD Power cable and it was in there perfect, but I disconnected it and reconnected it just to make sure, and it still doesn't work. Every cable I see is nice and tight, I have no idea wtf to do.

What other options can I consider?

Opening the drive and checking the pcb for damage like I said. Or replacing the dvd power cable.

It's probably fixable, but since I can't see it, I can't really spot anything out of place. And I think you probably wouldn't be able to spot anything either.

Wizzle

Wizzle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Opening the drive and checking the pcb for damage like I said. Or replacing the dvd power cable.

It's probably fixable, but since I can't see it, I can't really spot anything out of place. And I think you probably wouldn't be able to spot anything either.

If you can give me pointers on what you want to see, I swear if you help me fix this I can send you $10 through paypal.

kanyun

kanyun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can give me pointers on what you want to see, I swear if you help me fix this I can send you $10 through paypal.

I don't want your money. But look for any loose connections on the DVD drive pcb board or with anything that connects the dvd drive to the motherboard of the Xbox. And even though the dvd power cable is keyed to fit one way, if you forced it in upside down, you probably burnt out your drive.

Wizzle

Wizzle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't want your money. But look for any loose connections on the DVD drive pcb board or with anything that connects the dvd drive to the motherboard of the Xbox. And even though the dvd power cable is keyed to fit one way, if you forced it in upside down, you probably burnt out your drive.

Here are pictures of the connections I have:

http://imgur.com/a/Gyv71

kanyun

kanyun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are pictures of the connections I have:

http://imgur.com/a/Gyv71
Everything in those pictures looks okay to me :/

I don't have a clear picture of the inside of a slim Xbox in my head at the moment, but if its even possible, make sure the SATA (orangey red) cables are connected to the correct places on the motherboard and make sure the cable that goes to the HDD bay is not swapped with the one for the DVD drive. Do you have any idea if a hard drive works when you turn the Xbox on, or do you not have one?

Also, did you touch any circuitry on the motherboard or DVD drive pcb when you initially took it apart?

Wizzle

Wizzle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everything in those pictures looks okay to me :/

I don't have a clear picture of the inside of a slim Xbox in my head at the moment, but if its even possible, make sure the SATA (orangey red) cables are connected to the correct places on the motherboard and make sure the cable that goes to the HDD bay is not swapped with the one for the DVD drive. Do you have any idea if a hard drive works when you turn the Xbox on, or do you not have one?

Also, did you touch any circuitry on the motherboard or DVD drive pcb when you initially took it apart?

I wouldn't remember if I touched anything but the xbox still works fine minus the disk drive. I have a 250 GB HDD and that works fine. I may have touched the PCB I am not sure because it was hard to take apart the disk drive's case, I'm really frustrated right now because I have taken this thing apart 100 times to figure out the issues and nothing is showing..

kanyun

kanyun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well you may have fried the dvd drive with static electricity. lol....that's usually what I blame when nothing else makes sense. Could be especially true if you were stepping on carpet when you were opening it.

Might want to see if you can find a new pcb board for your model drive on ebay for cheap.

Wizzle

Wizzle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well you may have fried the dvd drive with static electricity. lol....that's usually what I blame when nothing else makes sense. Could be especially true if you were stepping on carpet when you were opening it.

Might want to see if you can find a new pcb board for your model drive on ebay for cheap.

How can I identify the same model as mine to prevent from getting banned on xbox live? I could have sworn I had a link about this before but I lost it :S

Edit: I have a Philips-BenQ VAD6038

Found some drives but wow everything is so complicated to replace a disk drive, I think I might just sell my xbox.. AHHHHHHH

kanyun

kanyun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How can I identify the same model as mine to prevent from getting banned on xbox live? I could have sworn I had a link about this before but I lost it :S
You've likely already been flagged for a ban since your Xbox has been powered up without detecting the DVD drive...

Whether they ban you or not from here, there is no way to tell.

You can find your model on the top of the case of your drive. It will either be a Liteon drive or a Hitachi. There are two types of Liteons I think, DG-16D5S or DG-16D4S. There is one kind of Hitachi: DLN10N. Yours is probably a 16D4S since it's a trinity, but take a look to be sure.

Top Bottom