• Views 17,362
Status
Not open for further replies.
jhax01

jhax01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
And here's the obligatory vid on the current state of the ZenBox along with a question for all the dual nand folks out there -- I have everything separated by drive, meaning the homebrew stuff is on the usb drive (formatted to fat32) and the retail stuff is on the internal, BUT both my offline profile and my live profile are stored on the internal HDD. When I'm using XBL, I'm booting the retail nand and signing into the live profile, and when I'm using the RGH I only use the offline profile. Is there any issue with this? Will Microsoft see the offline profile even tho I'm not signed in? Also, is it ok to add the HDD as a source for FSD3 when I'm booting RGH? Or will it put something on the drive that is detectable? Sorry for the n00bish Q's, but well, I'm a n00b when it comes to this stuff. lol...

jhax01

jhax01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Nothing like a little COD on a plane @ 35,000 ft... :biggrin: Couldn't be happier with this mod!!

jhax01

jhax01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Lol, I'm sure they just thought it was some ancient and slightly messed up laptop -- if anyone noticed it was an xbox, they didn't say anything...

GENERALCHAOS13

GENERALCHAOS13

Reaction score
Sin$
Try to Find the alienware m18x cooling system It Water Cooled

jhax01

jhax01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I did some searching and the cooling system was a prototype by Asetek. Near as I can tell, they haven't yet produced one. Would be really awesome tho and especially helpful for the Xbox One, I imagine...

THE QBN BEAST

THE QBN BEAST

Engineering the Future
Mr. Nice Guy Grizzled Veteran Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Wow this is pretty cool, how long did it take you to complete your entire project also does it have any problems with the cooling with those tiny fans?

jhax01

jhax01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Wow this is pretty cool, how long did it take you to complete your entire project also does it have any problems with the cooling with those tiny fans?

Thanks! I guess it took around 5 weeks or so to get it to where it is right now, but that's working on it intermittently. Still have a few more things I'd like to tighten up so I consider it a work in progress. :smile: So far, so good on the fans -- in general, temps stay between 55-62 C when on the RGH NAND. Of course, on the retail side you can't see what's what, but I doubt it's any different. No matter how long it has been on, there hasn't been any forced shutdowns due to heat or anything like that...

fat pat 666

fat pat 666

Lucifixture
MotM Jokester Greeter
Reaction score
Sin$
When did you end up spending on parts? I would love to do something like this.

jhax01

jhax01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
When did you end up spending on parts? I would love to do something like this.

It wasn't too terribly much:

Aluminum - $60 (this can vary widely, I bought a 4x8 sheet from a local supplier, but obviously you don't need anywhere near that much)
Asus UX31E monitor housing - $50 Seller on FleaBay wanted $100, I offered $50 and he took it. LCD panel was cracked.
LVDS LCD driver board - $50 (FleaBay)
LED LCD - $65 (laptopscreen.com - figuring out compatibility is a pain)
Heatsink - $25
Fans - $10
Audio Amp - $15
Speakers - $5
Misc assembly bits - $60-ish
Metal Brake - $40

Plus the cost of the Xbox, of course. Also, it just so happens that I have quite a bit of tools, etc, so I didn't need to buy any of that stuff other than the metal brake, but if you need them, you'll have to figure that in as well. So, for me, the grand total was $680-ish with the xbox(250GB slim) -- not very cost effective (what hobby is???), but fun...

That's also for a stock, live capable xbox. You can add in another $50 for the TX DemoN and $25 for the DGX/RGX if you need/want RGH capability as well...

A

ANG3LK1LL3R127

Trusted Member
Seasoned Veteran Grizzled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
i like some of the innovations that you have made here. i'm still rocking my dark uncle xbox laptop in my travel pack. i have his 1st gen model.

TheRoyoBoyo

TheRoyoBoyo

Trust Worthy
Reaction score
Sin$
This looks sick :smile:
Is there a possible way to double this as a laptop + Xbox?
like have it run in 2 modes?

jhax01

jhax01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
This looks sick :smile:
Is there a possible way to double this as a laptop + Xbox?
like have it run in 2 modes?

Thanks!

It would be hard to do with the ZenBox, but I think it could be done with a larger screen design (hence, a larger case).

Variable_i

Variable_i

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
How much does the whole system weigh? I'm just curious. These xboxes look fantastic!!!

jhax01

jhax01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
How much does the whole system weigh? I'm just curious. These xboxes look fantastic!!!

Thanks!

I'm reworking my 17 inch, so I can't say on that one, but the ZenBox comes in at 5lbs 12oz.... according to my wife's cooking scale anyway... Not bad considering what it's made out of....

jhax01

jhax01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Pretty much finished with the rework of the 17 inch model -- I'm going to start taking it on trips to see how it holds up before I try to pretty it up a bit. This one (a Trinity) is sporting a Coolrunner Rev C / DemoN -- thanks again to TX for the reliable RGH / Dual NAND solution! I managed to cut down the thickness of the case slightly compared to the ZenBox so I'm pretty pleased with how it's turned out. As I've used the ZenBox quite a bit so far, I've come to realize that the speakers are somewhat superfluous, for me at least. I'm usually using headphones or I have it plugged into a TV. The problem with the headphones on the ZenBox is that there is so much going on inside the case, there's a lot of stray ground noise and try as I might, I've been unable to eliminate it completely. To address this on the new model, I took a set of Turtle Beach XP510s and integrated the transmitter into the case. I had already taken the Toslink connector off the XB motherboard so I just soldered the SPDIF connections directly and it sounds great. Looking forward to getting my hands on the XB1!

IMG_20131005_230825.jpg

IMG_20131005_230837.jpg

IMG_20131005_231108.jpg

IMG_20131005_232730.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom
Login
Register