What's new

Solved Xbox 360 overheating with LEDs installed?

• Thread starter stan3797
  • Start date
  • Views 173
S

stan3797

Reaction score
I’ve recently bought an Xbox 360 and I’ve RGHd it myself, it’s a Jasper motherboard everything went okay with RGHing it, I attempted to install LEDS today and the console turned on fine and the LEDS lit up then I was putting it back together thought I’d do a test again and got 3 red rings which was a bit odd. Managed to fix that by messing round with the wiring because I know RGHs can be a bit fussy.

So I put it back together and 10 mins into a game I was playing the Xbox just conked out and fans revved up.
Opened it up and the cpu I believe it is the long rectangular heat sink is red hot, like not normal.

I’ve unsoldered the LEDs and then loaded the console up an seems to be playing fine since however dashlaunch said the cpu was like 78c but as I didn’t really give it time to cool down for more than 5 mins after the previous time I had reset it I don’t believe this to be correct as after I played the same game for even longer than 10 mins after switching off the console I felt the cpu and it was as cool as a cucumber. I’ve recently installed a talismoon whisper fan if that helps, I may try playing for a longer period of time tomoz to see if the Xbox freezes but does anyone know what may be the issue? I soldered them in properly and used moddedwarfares tutorial?

D

danik2b

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could be a lot of things, the first thing I'd try is clean the cpu/gpu with rubbing alcohol and a cotton tip, clean the heatsink and re-apply thermal paste. Make sure you have the heat shield over the heatsink and the fans as this directs the heat out the back. I've had jaspers and falcons both give me 3 red lights(overheating) when running the xbox without that shield over it. 5mins isn't long enough for it to cool down, leave it in a cool place for a good 20-30mins or so.

the second thing i'd try is disconnecting everything from the console that isn't needed and seeing if that fixes the issue.

If you still have issues with the console, perhaps it's a bad GPU chip or CPU chip, might need re-flowing. Doubt it's this, sounds like a heat issue that's easily fixable. I doubt it's the led install :smile:

Goodluck!

S

stan3797

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, my fan duct was actually off and putting it back on has stopped it from conking out. I had issues with the wiring of the LEDs that made my RGH freeze. I routed them now to the front of the board instead of the back and this solved the freezing issue. I have my fan speed on 60% and my graphics is at 65.3, can go up to 67.2 after finishing up a game. Wanted to know if this was normal. I tested another motherboard I have spare and that is also a jasper and although I couldn’t get the temps as that wasn’t an RGH it felt as hot as my RGH. So assuming it may be normal
Post automatically merged:

Bit of an update, I was having issues with it freezing on boot but that was a wiring problem. The fan shroud was trapping blue and green wires from Coolrunner. So I free’d them up and put it all back together. I purposely left out one of the big screws that go’s in the metal casing for the fan shroud as although it looked in place the screw won’t go through the hole without moving it slightly and didn’t really want to mess with it as that was what was causing freezing.

Put it together and temps seem to be a bit better but haven’t really put long into playing but was getting 58-62 ish. But obviously I’ll have to continue monitoring it and play for long periods of time but looks fixed

Last edited:
D

danik2b

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the response, my fan duct was actually off and putting it back on has stopped it from conking out. I had issues with the wiring of the LEDs that made my RGH freeze. I routed them now to the front of the board instead of the back and this solved the freezing issue. I have my fan speed on 60% and my graphics is at 65.3, can go up to 67.2 after finishing up a game. Wanted to know if this was normal. I tested another motherboard I have spare and that is also a jasper and although I couldn’t get the temps as that wasn’t an RGH it felt as hot as my RGH. So assuming it may be normal

Bit of an update, I was having issues with it freezing on boot but that was a wiring problem. The fan shroud was trapping blue and green wires from Coolrunner. So I free’d them up and put it all back together. I purposely left out one of the big screws that go’s in the metal casing for the fan shroud as although it looked in place the screw won’t go through the hole without moving it slightly and didn’t really want to mess with it as that was what was causing freezing.

Put it together and temps seem to be a bit better but haven’t really put long into playing but was getting 58-62 ish. But obviously I’ll have to continue monitoring it and play for long periods of time but looks fixed

Glad to hear you fixed the problem, 67 is actually pretty cool under load. If it were going upwards of 80+ then i'd worry, also I leave my fans on auto, it will give you a bit more life letting the console determine what's best instead of running them too low getting the system hotter or too fast and wearing the bearings in the fans a lot quicker.

S

stan3797

Reaction score
Yeah I was manually setting fan speed but stopped doing that now as I have a talismoon whisper LED fan and these are fairly rare to find specifically in the UK. I’ve set target temp to 70 on all, not too sure if that’s ideal but saves burning out a fan

S

stan3797

Reaction score
Temps get high when not being controlled with the temp monitor, the gpu tends to get the highest even when idle sometimes hitting 68 ish but obviously with the settings in dashlaunch it won’t let it exceed 70.

Sorry to post multiple times I hear a lot of people saying they leave them on “auto” what exactly is “auto” 30? 40? 50? Or is auto just completely de selecting the gpu override option and sticking with the figures on the left. I keep them all on 70 and the highest it’s got is like 72, but the Xbox immediately puts it lower than that temp if it exceeds 70

Last edited:
D

danik2b

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Temps get high when not being controlled with the temp monitor, the gpu tends to get the highest even when idle sometimes hitting 68 ish but obviously with the settings in dashlaunch it won’t let it exceed 70.

Sorry to post multiple times I hear a lot of people saying they leave them on “auto” what exactly is “auto” 30? 40? 50? Or is auto just completely de selecting the gpu override option and sticking with the figures on the left. I keep them all on 70 and the highest it’s got is like 72, but the Xbox immediately puts it lower than that temp if it exceeds 70

yeah, deselecting will let the console do its own thing. 70ish degrees celcius is fine under load. Like I said, if it's going higher than 80+ that's when you'll want to start investigating.
You will want to find whats right for your console by playing around with everything, you don't want it to be a jet engine under normal load, but you also want it to cool properly.

Top Bottom