• Thread starter TheIronNugget
  • Start date
  • Views 504
T

TheIronNugget

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I fix broken Xbox 360's in my spare time. I've fixed about 30 to date, and I've never came across this before.

My friend and I were playing on XBL today, and he kept getting disconnected from XBL. Eventually, he came back online and told me his xbox got 2 red rings. I told him not to worry as it was only overheating. He turned it off, left it for 2 hours, and came back. The xbox lasted for about 3 minutes before it overheated again. He left it for another 2 hours, lasted about 3 minutes before overheat.

I said I'd take a look at it for him, maybe replace the thermal paste, heatsinks or if it's a 2nd Gen Mobo, install the 12V fan mod. My question for you, Se7ensins, is, what the hell is causing this problem? And if you know, what would I need to do to fix it for him?

My guess is messed up thermal paste, and that all the heat is going straight to the Mobo, and not getting absorbed. Your opinions?

Cookiez

Cookiez

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
the heatsinks may not be making a good connection with the gpu or cpu.

Most like xclamp fix and add new thermal paste i would say.

XsV161

XsV161

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
the heatsinks may not be making a good connection with the gpu or cpu.

Most like xclamp fix and add new thermal paste i would say.

^ That is probably the best answer.

While replacing the thermal paste and cleaning the motherboard from factory flux on my jasper, I turned it on with very little paste on the heatsinks just to test that it was still working fine after cleaning it (heatsinks weren't screwed down btw) and it overheated before it even got to the launcher.

Top Bottom
Login
Register