What's new

Unsolved Xbox 360 modding questions; Any help will be appreciated!

• Thread starter Truckingeek
  • Start date
  • Views 123
T

Truckingeek

Reaction score
Hello everyone reading,

New retired Trucker trying to rekindle a love of electronics (and stay out of the wife's way) by purchasing a bunch of dead/for parts Xbox's and Play Stations, digging out all the pieces of my old kit and warming up the iron's.

I enjoy tearing into the old consoles, cleaning off the dust and poking around. Oddly enough I have no intentions of playing any games. LOL. I mean REALLY whats the fun in that?

I have been having a decent amount of success learning how to get some of the easier typical issues resolved. Non-working DVD's , no power etc...

Have had to order some new stencils for my old BGA Hot Air Station and a microscope because frigging SMD's are WAY smaller than I remember!

Purchased some new USB programmers as well since using my old serial and LPT port programmers are "Old School" and kinda useless to read 4 gig memory chips.... even if you are retired with nothing to do all day. Cough cough 128mb use to be MASSIVE amounts of memory!!!

Which leads me up to my first question on the board!

I have removed a Nand Chip off a board and read it with my (New) Flashcat Mach1. I do a MD5 comparison of the "Bin" file reads and both reads match. However, using J-Runner to edit files leaves me with a "Wrong Header" error soon as I open the file. I open it in WinHex and can see all kinds of neat HEX but without any knowledge of correct address's for Serial Numbers, CD Keys, Kernel and Dash versions etc it is really useless to me. Is there anybody hanging around that would be willing to hold my hand and point me in a better direction? Software has never really been my thing but I have the urge, need and time to lean now so I would like to. I do searches and all I get are post's about shoving boards into an oven or toss out the board and buy a new one or the poster has to go cause mom is telling him lunch is ready. (True story!! However it had to do with some guy online handing my *** to me playing me head to head in Command and Conquer like 5 times (A game I have enthusiastically played since it came out in the 90's). Humbling to say the least.

I digress, Anyway anybody have some pointers for an old guy? Would very much appreciate to be pointed in the right direction.

TIA

T

Teb

Project & Sales Manager
Administrator
Reaction score
Well, first I would like to welcome you to Se7ensins! I really hope you stick around.
Here is a link to the Console Modding Support Forum. If you can't find what you need there PM me and I would gladly help you look around. Enjoy your stay and look around! Se7ensins has a lot of knowledge to be found and learned.
Edit: This could also help.

T

Truckingeek

Reaction score
Thank you. I have been browsing those forums, Currently starting to have "Information Overload"

oh look shiny,... some many rabbit holes so little time.

T

Teb

Project & Sales Manager
Administrator
Reaction score
Thank you. I have been browsing those forums, Currently starting to have "Information Overload"

oh look shiny,... some many rabbit holes so little time.
Fortunately we have had plenty of time, and knowledge flowing through this site. Good luck with learning it all haha.

N

Navy Davey

☠️Rebel Without a Pause☠️
Super Moderators
Reaction score
Hello everyone reading,

New retired Trucker trying to rekindle a love of electronics (and stay out of the wife's way) by purchasing a bunch of dead/for parts Xbox's and Play Stations, digging out all the pieces of my old kit and warming up the iron's.

I enjoy tearing into the old consoles, cleaning off the dust and poking around. Oddly enough I have no intentions of playing any games. LOL. I mean REALLY whats the fun in that?

I have been having a decent amount of success learning how to get some of the easier typical issues resolved. Non-working DVD's , no power etc...

Have had to order some new stencils for my old BGA Hot Air Station and a microscope because frigging SMD's are WAY smaller than I remember!

Purchased some new USB programmers as well since using my old serial and LPT port programmers are "Old School" and kinda useless to read 4 gig memory chips.... even if you are retired with nothing to do all day. Cough cough 128mb use to be MASSIVE amounts of memory!!!

Which leads me up to my first question on the board!

I have removed a Nand Chip off a board and read it with my (New) Flashcat Mach1. I do a MD5 comparison of the "Bin" file reads and both reads match. However, using J-Runner to edit files leaves me with a "Wrong Header" error soon as I open the file. I open it in WinHex and can see all kinds of neat HEX but without any knowledge of correct address's for Serial Numbers, CD Keys, Kernel and Dash versions etc it is really useless to me. Is there anybody hanging around that would be willing to hold my hand and point me in a better direction? Software has never really been my thing but I have the urge, need and time to lean now so I would like to. I do searches and all I get are post's about shoving boards into an oven or toss out the board and buy a new one or the poster has to go cause mom is telling him lunch is ready. (True story!! However it had to do with some guy online handing my *** to me playing me head to head in Command and Conquer like 5 times (A game I have enthusiastically played since it came out in the 90's). Humbling to say the least.

I digress, Anyway anybody have some pointers for an old guy? Would very much appreciate to be pointed in the right direction.

TIA
Although we appreciate your great post in introduce yourself it will be best served in console modding support.
Hopefully it will get some exposure here and you can get the help you are looking for.

Anyhoo...
I’m an old guy too so you are in good company.
Welcome to Se7ensins and if you have any questions or need help please feel free to contact me via PM.

J

Jg3nius

Reaction score
What plans in the future do u have for ur console?

Top Bottom