What's new

Discussion Xbox 360 Import Ban In the US?

• Thread starter Buzz Lightyear
  • Start date
  • Views 2,854
B

Buzz Lightyear

Young Moolah Baby
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Buying an Xbox 360 in the US could be as serious of a crime as the importation of drugs.

The International Trade Commission should ban import of some Microsoft Xbox gaming consoles into the United States because they infringe on Motorola patents, an administrative law judge said.
The recommendation is limited to the 4GB and 250GB versions of the Xbox 360 S console.

Judge David Shaw also recommended that the commission prevent sale of the consoles with a cease-and-desist order, and that Microsoft post a bond equal to 7 percent of the declared value of unsold Xbox inventory already in the country.

Shaw's recommendation decision follows his April determination that Microsoft had infringed on four Motorola patents related to secure wireless communication and transmission of video content between controller devices and game consoles.

The public version of Shaw's initial determination has not been released while the companies petition to remove any proprietary information.

Motorola filed its initial complaint with the ITC in November 2010, claiming that the Xbox used Motorola-developed technology that allows set-top boxes to decode transmissions between its Droid2 and DroidX mobile devices.

Microsoft argued that Shaw's exclusion order does not serve the public interest because it would leave consumers of video game consoles with only two options to satisfy their needs: the Sony Playstation and the Nintendo Wii.
Let the games begin!​

C

Carl

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
inb4 Mexican Xbox Cartels.

Seriously though, maybe if those involved spent a little more time caring about things that matter then the world wouldn't be as messed up as it is. I fail to see how firms can be so petty about profits when they're still raking in huge bonuses. Ah well, they can do what they want, it doesn't really affect me anyway. Pretty interesting read, regardless.

B

Bear

Reaction score
Damn! You beat to the post.

B

Buzz Lightyear

Young Moolah Baby
VIP
Retired
Reaction score

H

sleezecheeze

Drunk MOTY 2011-14
Reaction score
I don't think anybody will beat Microsoft in a court case if it comes to that, no matter who they are.

Didn't this happen with samsung and apple about something phone related? I mean seriously, they are all multi-million/billion dollar companies, it's not like someone copying their design/technology will damage them too much.

Top Bottom