Reaction score
Sin$
fans wont come on so its causing overheating

RagingEnferno

RagingEnferno

People piss me off
Reaction score
Sin$
How do you expect us to know why your fans wont come on with no information. Did you check the fan connector? Is there something in the fan? If you are on an RGH/JTag, did you change any of the settings that effect the fan?

HuskerHeaven

HuskerHeaven

when I took his glass of champagne...
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
It's probably just not at 100% like it was and is now a little warmer, but not overheating

Scrappy Doo

Scrappy Doo

Enthusiast
10th Anniversary
Reaction score
Sin$
How do you expect us to know why your fans wont come on with no information. Did you check the fan connector? Is there something in the fan? If you are on an RGH/JTag, did you change any of the settings that effect the fan?
It's probably just not at 100% like it was and is now a little warmer, but not overheating

got an old xbox 360. it boots to dash and then goes to 2 red rings (overheating) took the xbox apart and started it. did the same thing. the fans are not running. and they are connected good. sorry i didnt put much information. i was busy at the time and posted in a hurry. oh and its a retail

Sativa

Sativa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Check the wiring on the fans. Make sure the wires aren't loose or detached. Also, just try new fans to see if the fans are the problem. If you're any good at soldering, try wiring the fans here:

3a3d5022d43bc40e62e0c2eef054848d7b01f945.jpg

Edit: I would recommend doing the 12v fan mod anyways since by "old Xbox 360", I'm assuming you mean a phat which is probably a RRoD prone console.

Scrappy Doo

Scrappy Doo

Enthusiast
10th Anniversary
Reaction score
Sin$
Check the wiring on the fans. Make sure the wires aren't loose or detached. Also, just try new fans to see if the fans are the problem. If you're any good at soldering, try wiring the fans here:

Edit: I would recommend doing the 12v fan mod anyways since by "old Xbox 360", I'm assuming you mean a phat which is probably a RRoD prone console.
im thinking about ordering some whisper fans and see if they work.. im thinking maybe the fans have just gone out

Sativa

Sativa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
im thinking about ordering some whisper fans and see if they work.. im thinking maybe the fans have just gone out
That is what it seems like to me. If you have any spare PC fans laying around, you could try connecting them to the stock fan's power supply just to make sure.

If you tell me the MoBo type, I can provide you with pinouts.

HuskerHeaven

HuskerHeaven

when I took his glass of champagne...
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
That's most likely the case and a good diagnosis. Far more likely that the motor went out on a fan then the fan stoped getting power.

Scrappy Doo

Scrappy Doo

Enthusiast
10th Anniversary
Reaction score
Sin$
That is what it seems like to me. If you have any spare PC fans laying around, you could try connecting them to the stock fan's power supply just to make sure.

If you tell me the MoBo type, I can provide you with pinouts.
That's most likely the case and a good diagnosis. Far more likely that the motor went out on a fan then the fan stoped getting power.
alright so before i bought some fans, i tested the fans out on another xbox and they worked perfectly. so the fans must not be getting power so where should i go from here?

Sativa

Sativa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
alright so before i bought some fans, i tested the fans out on another xbox and they worked perfectly. so the fans must not be getting power so where should i go from here?
You can do the 12v fan mod unless you want to keep it quiet. If that is the case, you can put a potentiometer to tune your fans to your liking (just make sure they don't go too low or you'll RRoD).

Fan mod video (favorite method):

Potentiometer tutorial: https://xbox-experts.com/tutorial/rheostat-5v--12v-fan-mod/

Atlas

Atlas

С.Т.А.Л.К.Е.Р.
VIP
Retired
Hidden Devils
Mythical Veteran Trifecta TotM
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
In addition to what others have said, you could also do a 12V fan mod by getting power from the same place where the DVD drive gets power. You'll need to split some wires and make things clean though.

Some people on eBay sell fans pre-modded to just plug and play into that spot so you have fan power and DVD-drive power

Scrappy Doo

Scrappy Doo

Enthusiast
10th Anniversary
Reaction score
Sin$
In addition to what others have said, you could also do a 12V fan mod by getting power from the same place where the DVD drive gets power. You'll need to split some wires and make things clean though.

Some people on eBay sell fans pre-modded to just plug and play into that spot so you have fan power and DVD-drive power
got it fixed. thanks!

Top Bottom
Login
Register