• Thread starter temporary_user1
  • Start date
  • Views 2,482
T

temporary_user1

Reaction score
Sin$
Hi,
I am new to the XBOX 360 development activity, I have some questions. I have XDK, ADK ,VS 2015 and WIN 10 PC.

1) What is the different between XDK and ADK ?

2) What is the XNA ?

3) Is it mandatory to setup the development environment ONLY with Windows 7 / Vista and VS 2010 ?

4) Can't I use Win10 and VS 2015 for XBOX 360 development activity ?

Thanks in Advance,
Ntau.

Snowy

Snowy

Let it snow
Hidden Devils
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
1) What is the different between XDK and ADK ?
Do you mean SDK?
If so, the XDK (xbox development kit) is simply the console, and the SDK (software development kit) are the files required to build and develop programs/games/whatever.
2) What is the XNA ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_XNA
This might help explain, if not, I’ll leave someone else to answer this.
3) Is it mandatory to setup the development environment ONLY with Windows 7 / Vista and VS 2010?
No. See 4.
4) Can't I use Win10 and VS 2015 for XBOX 360 development activity ?
Yes you can. However, Visual Studio 2010 needs to be installed to install the full SDK.
This means that you must first uninstall Visual Studio 2015 and the SDK, then install Visual Studio 2010 and the SDK (selecting ‘Full’ installation), then you can reinstall Visual Studio 2015 (make sure you install C++) and then you can use the SDK with Visual Studio 2015.

T

temporary_user1

Reaction score
Sin$
Snowy, Thanks for your response,

I meant ADK (Xbox 360 ADK - Application Development Kit). I'm not quite sure about XBOX 360 ADK and XDK. I googled but could not get detail information between of these.

Shall I have both VS 2010 and VS 2015 co-exist in same Win10 machine ?

What is mean by Lakeview in XBOX 360 ?

Thanks !

Last edited:
ImOx

ImOx

(^._.^)ノ
Retired
Programmer MotM Platinum Record
Reaction score
Sin$

I meant ADK (Xbox 360 ADK - Application Development Kit). I'm not quite sure about XBOX 360 ADK and XDK. I googled but could not get detail information between of these.

Thanks !
You can install multiple different VS versions, yes.
And also you wont need to uninstall VS15, just keep it installed.
Just uninstall SDK, install VS10, install SDK, choose the "full setup" (or w/e it was called) and then you can uninstall VS10 if you wish.

Snowy

Snowy

Let it snow
Hidden Devils
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
You can install multiple different VS versions, yes.
And also you wont need to uninstall VS15, just keep it installed.
Just uninstall SDK, install VS10, install SDK, choose the "full setup" (or w/e it was called) and then you can uninstall VS10 if you wish.
I found that if you don't uninstall 15 you won't be able to create new projects from 15, you would have to go create them on 2010 then open in 15.

TEIR1plus2

TEIR1plus2

VIP
VIP
Hidden Devils
Frame In Gold Programmer A Milli
Reaction score
Sin$

Thanks !
XDK = Dev Console, a console made to develop and work on games, includes stuff to assist with the debugging process and monitor performance.

SDK = the libraries and software used to build apps/games for the console.

From what your describing, ADK = SDK. SDK is usually what it's referred to as. It's rare for the software package to be referred to as ADK and not SDK since its Software Development Kit, not just limited to apps most of the time. In fact microsoft refers to ADK as something else completely different.

Top Bottom
Login
Register