What's new

Support XB1X Missing Capacitor Under APU Value?

finalman

Reaction score
Got a faulty XB1X motherboard that is missing a capacitor that I'd like to know the value of.

The missing capacitor is located on the underside of the motherboard directly under the APU chip in the centre. The location is pictured below.

The missing capacitor location is circled in red. The black circle is different Capacitor that I can harvest from another faulty motherboard if the values are the same.

The circled red capacitor did exist but I removed it and put it on another motherboard that had the same capacitor but was damaged. I now want to replace the capacitor on the pictured motherboard. I can get the black circled capacitor from another motherboard and use it if the values are the same. I cannot get a donor red circled capacitor from the other motherboard though

So anyone know if the value of the two circled capacitors are the same? If not what are the value details of the red circled capacitor?

turnusshakti

Reaction score
Small increases may be safe, large ones not. You can almost always replace a capacitor with one of a higher voltage. This is the limiting factor of a capacitor due to dielectric breakdown voltages that the manufacturer chose. Varying capacitance gets a little trickier.

Probably yes: Ideally you should replace the capacitor with one of the same nominal capacitance and an equal or greater maximum voltage rating.

Unless otherwise marked, for electrolytic capacitors (likely the type you are using) the tolerance of the capacitance is usually -20% to +80% of the nominal rating. That means the capacitor you are replacing (nominally 4.7 uF of capacitance) had an actual capacitance between 3.8 uF and 8.5 uF. Unless you have analyzed the circuit to determine what the capacitor does, it is usually best to substitute one with the same "nameplate" capacitance. For applications like filtering capacitors in a power supply or decoupling capacitors next to a digital IC, it is usually ok to use a greater capacitance.

The voltage rating of the capacitor indicates the maximum voltage it can withstand without damage. You can always substitute a capacitor with a higher voltage rating into a circuit designed to use a capacitor with a lower rating.

One more thing to keep in mind: There are other specifications that may be important for this application, too. Things like equivalent series resistance (ESR) can affect performance in higher-frequency circuits.

Top Bottom