What's new

Solved X360S Trinity beep but no boot, HANA horror (NO RGH)

• Thread starter Metalmarty
  • Start date
  • Views 2,822
M

Metalmarty

Reaction score
Sin$
Hey Guys

I got myself a Xbox 360 Slim Trinity today.
It boots correctly, goes to the dashboard but it has a DVD drive which is not functioning correctly (Open Tray problem), so i shut it down to go and look for the problem.

The guy i got the xbox from told me that he had a Xkey installed, but not anymore.
So the first thing i thought of was the SATA cable which can get faulty after some fiddling.

After replacing the SATA cable i tried to fire it up again but didn't boot anymore.
When i press the power/eject button you hear the PING, green light for a second, and nothing.
No spinning fans, no sound, PSU not powering on.

So when i opened the xbox up again and took the DVD drive out i found a horror story around the HANA chip. It looks like a cap exploded and like someone pulled some things out with force.
As you can see on the picture below:
WP_20150916_00_52_22_Pro.jpg

Bigger picture

Resistor R3B15 was missing, a wire was soldered and was going to the underside of the board, the Trace left of R3B15 is completely gone and all caps/pads around are black (and a bit fluffy). Looks like a RGH was used, burned out and has been removed. The cable from R3B15 to the bottom was going to this trace and was loose:

WP_20150915_21_43_01_Pro.jpg

Bigger picture

In the middle of the picture, just right of the hole and left of the (foxconn) text is a visible trace of copper. I've found out that this trace is in connection with the trace to R3B15. So they apparently tried to bridge it.

I've resoldered a 33Ohm resistor at R3B15 and i've repared the bridge but still no boot.
When i connect everything and try to turn it on i just get the beep, a green light for a short second and nothing more. The PSU light is amber and does not switch on.

I find it so very odd that the xbox booted before (with problems that is) and after just (carefully) replacing the SATA cable nothing works anymore.

Do you guys have any clue what to check next?
Is the bridge not good? (STBY_CLK right?)
Or are there other things to check?

I have an oscilloscope available, so i can check the signals on the trace going to/from R3B15 if needed.

HuskerHeaven

HuskerHeaven

when I took his glass of champagne...
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Hey Guys

I got myself a Xbox 360 Slim Trinity today.
It boots correctly, goes to the dashboard but it has a DVD drive which is not functioning correctly (Open Tray problem), so i shut it down to go and look for the problem.

The guy i got the xbox from told me that he had a Xkey installed, but not anymore.
So the first thing i thought of was the SATA cable which can get faulty after some fiddling.

After replacing the SATA cable i tried to fire it up again but didn't boot anymore.
When i press the power/eject button you hear the PING, green light for a second, and nothing.
No spinning fans, no sound, PSU not powering on.

So when i opened the xbox up again and took the DVD drive out i found a horror story around the HANA chip. It looks like a cap exploded and like someone pulled some things out with force.
As you can see on the picture below:
WP_20150916_00_52_22_Pro.jpg

Bigger picture

Resistor R3B15 was missing, a wire was soldered and was going to the underside of the board, the Trace left of R3B15 is completely gone and all caps/pads around are black (and a bit fluffy). Looks like a RGH was used, burned out and has been removed. The cable from R3B15 to the bottom was going to this trace and was loose:

WP_20150915_21_43_01_Pro.jpg

Bigger picture

In the middle of the picture, just right of the hole and left of the (foxconn) text is a visible trace of copper. I've found out that this trace is in connection with the trace to R3B15. So they apparently tried to bridge it.

I've resoldered a 33Ohm resistor at R3B15 and i've repared the bridge but still no boot.
When i connect everything and try to turn it on i just get the beep, a green light for a short second and nothing more. The PSU light is amber and does not switch on.

I find it so very odd that the xbox booted before (with problems that is) and after just (carefully) replacing the SATA cable nothing works anymore.

Do you guys have any clue what to check next?
Is the bridge not good? (STBY_CLK right?)
Or are there other things to check?

I have an oscilloscope available, so i can check the signals on the trace going to/from R3B15 if needed.
Can you post a picture of your repair?

M

Metalmarty

Reaction score
Sin$
Can you post a picture of your repair?

Repair picture top

The first picture with the HANA is already with my repair (havent made pictures earlier).
It is not very good visible but the resistor is soldered in this picture and measures a nice 33Ohm.

I've also resoldered the wire to the pad below (don't have a pictre of that yet...)

When i measure between right of the resistor and at the point just below C2C5 (where the trace is going to) i also measure a nice 33 Ohm. If i measure left of the resistor and the ppint below C2C5 i get a beep.

I figured that this should indicate that the connection is fine?

Is there a possibility that the HANA chip broke due to the fact that the orange wire was soldered without the 33R before? (Although this doesn't seem to be the case since the xbox booted fine before sata cable swap)

I don't have my hands on my xbox today, but i will make some new pictures tomorrow.

Edit: I will also make some scope images for the stby_clk line to see if i get a signal here. (I can expect a signal here on standby right?)

Oh and the C3B8 capacitor is not excistent. Is this one needed?
I see some xboxes with this cap and some without.

Last edited:
M

Metalmarty

Reaction score
Sin$
Update time:
I've tested again with the original CLK signal.

I've removed the orange wire and used my scope to check the outgoing STBY_CLK signal from the HANA.
The signal still looks good, so this isn't the problem.

I've resoldered the wire to R3B15 and the point closed by to keep the wire as short as possible.
Pretty hard to solder to these tiny via's but i managed it quiet well.

WP_20150917_22_12_40_Pro.jpg

Bigger Picture (2000x3500)

I've connected the PSU to the xbox and used my scope to measure the STBY_CLK signal at four points:
- Left/Right of R3B15
- The via at the other side of the wire (below C2C5)
- Point FT3N2 on the bottom of the xbox

The signal looks great and should work in my opinion.
Here is a picture of my scope:
WP_20150917_22_06_45_Pro.jpg

But after putting the xbox together again and testing if it works again i keep having the same problem.
When i press the power/eject button i get a BEEP and the green power light.
After this the xbox is off again.

I've also tested an other xbox PSU, but this made no difference.

What are other common fixes for this "not powering up" problem?

I've also read that some people that had problems with the RF board.
That when they push the Power/Eject button they get a beep and nothing.
But when they turn on the controller that the xbox powers on.

I can't test this however since i haven't connected a controller to this RF board yet.
Can this be my problem, and how can i test this?
I can't sync a controller because it doesn't turn on.

And does anyone know any other known fixes around the HANA where i can look at?
I will measure all standby voltages and known resistances this weekend to look if there is a short/blown resistor somewhere.

I hope that you guys have some more tips.

HuskerHeaven

HuskerHeaven

when I took his glass of champagne...
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Update time:
I've tested again with the original CLK signal.

I've removed the orange wire and used my scope to check the outgoing STBY_CLK signal from the HANA.
The signal still looks good, so this isn't the problem.

I've resoldered the wire to R3B15 and the point closed by to keep the wire as short as possible.

WP_20150917_22_12_40_Pro.jpg

Bigger Picture (2000x3500)

I've connected the PSU to the xbox and used my scope to measure the STBY_CLK signal at four points:
- Left/Right of R3B15
- The via at the other side of the wire (below C2C5)
- Point FT3N2 on the bottom of the xbox

The signal looks great and should work in my opinion.
Here is a picture of my scope:
WP_20150917_22_06_45_Pro.jpg

But after putting the xbox together again and testing if it works again i keep having the same problem.
When i press the power/eject button i get a BEEP and the green power light.
After this the xbox is off again.

I've also tested an other xbox PSU, but this made no difference.

What are other common fixes for this "not powering up" problem?

I've also read that some people that had problems with the RF board.
That when they push the Power/Eject button they get a beep and nothing.
But when they turn on the controller that the xbox powers on.

I can't test this however since i haven't connected a controller to this RF board yet.
Can this be my problem, and how can i test this?
I can't sync a controller because it doesn't turn on.

And does anyone know any other known fixes around the HANA where i can look at?
I will measure all standby voltages and known resistances this weekend to look if there is a short/blown resistor somewhere.

I hope that you guys have some more tips.
It looks like your missing the 33ohm resistor on R3B15.

M

Metalmarty

Reaction score
Sin$
It is not very good visible but the resistor is soldered in this picture and measures a nice 33Ohm.

It looks like your missing the 33ohm resistor on R3B15.

Thanks for the tip but nope.
If read my previous post you can see that i've resoldered the R3B15 resistor.
So it is there, tested and all (33R)

Top Bottom
Login
Register