What's new

Solved X360Key Only Sometimes Powers Up the Remote

K

Keylock

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have had my X360Key (Xk3y?) installed for a bunch of years at this point, and it has always worked the same way for me:
Power on Console, eject tray, wait for the remote to indicate 'ISO', the remote would automatically 'close tray', and I could access my backups from my HDD using the Image viewer.

Lately however, when I power on my console, the remote stays dark.
Meaning the screen on the remote doesn't display anything, nor does the little LED light on it do anything.
My console is on, the HDD is on (and has its own dedicated power supply).
If I press the arrows on the remote, the little blue LED on the remote illuminates, but not the screen.
If I press the center button on the remote, the screen displays the XKey logo (exactly like this image from the 'Se7enSins Official x360key Thread)

2ilc2gm.jpg

The 'error' listed in that article, however, seems to relate to the initial setup, not what might be going on if it just starts doing this intermittently.
Last week I power cycled my console 5-10 times (didn't keep track) and the remote eventually powered up (screen lit up) and I was able to access my backups like I mentioned at the top.
Then for several days, no matter what I do, no matter what order items are booted up etc, the remote will not illuminate, and I am unable to gain access to my backups.

Then a few days ago, I plugged my HDD into my computer to add another ISO to it, and upon setting it back up with my console, the remote powered up perfectly fine first try. The second day, the same thing!
Now here I am day 3 after adding that new ISO and the remote refuses to power on again.

As mentioned, there is power going to the remote (blue LED will illuminate if clicking buttons, the screen will show the logo if buttons are pressed), but it won't light up and give feedback like it does when things are working the way they should.

I have checked the USB connections, in the remote, at the console, at the HDD.
Everything seems set up correctly, and the fact that I've used it for years makes me wonder what might be going on.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this issue?

Also, I tried to link back to the official thread I stole the image from, because that seemed like the polite thing to do... but it triggered some spam filters on here, and prevented me from posting. Sorry OP that I stole the image from :/

K

Keylock

Reaction score
Update: So I managed to dig up my spare ribbon cable to test with. According to the xk3y manual (http :// k3ydownloads.com/xk3y-Manuals/xk3y%20User%20Manual.pdf - this spam filter is killing me. ) the remote displaying the icon/logo is because it has not made a connection to the actual key inside the console.
I swapped the ribbon cable, and first try it powered up the remote.
So at this point it seems like maybe that's all this was, but I suspect I'll need to see how long it continues behaving correctly before saying that's it for sure.