What's new
  • Howdy, Guest!

We have issued a forced password reset on all user accounts, meaning you will not be able to login until this process is complete. Instructions will be displayed when you login with your previous credentials, however if for any reason you do not have access to your associated email address, you will need to contact us at [email protected].

For more information, please read this Important Announcement

Thank you for being awesome!

Question X360 USB Pro 2 is not detecting my BenQ XB360 Phat Drive. Am I doing something wrong?

R

Rotgut

Reaction score
Sin$
I want to flash this BenQ XB360 drive I got so I can make digital backups of my Xbox/Xbox 360 discs. This is my setup but I'm having some trouble.

Hardware Setup
*X360 USB Pro 2 (from Aliexpress)
*New Complete Philips BenQ VAD6038 Replacement DVD Drive for Microsoft Xbox 360 (from eBay) FW Ver. 64930C

Setup
  • The X360 USB Pro 2 has SATA cable and 12-pin power plugged into the back of the BenQ drive.
  • The X360 USB Pro 2 has a mini USB cable going into the USB slot on my 2013 Macbook Air (running Windows 10 via Bootcamp)
  • I do not have the SATA power to MOLEX power adapter plugged in. It is my understanding that the Pro 2 can power everything through USB and that using a SATA to MOLEX to USB unnecessarily can damage the X360 USB Pro 2 device.
  • There are no sounds heard from the Benq drive.
  • Windows 10 driver signing is disabled (Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Advanced start-up > Restart now > Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Startup settings > Restart > F7 (Disable driver signature enforcement)
  • I installed the X360USB Pro v2 Drivers without issue and it is detected in Jungle Flasher V0.1.96.
  • When X360 USB Pro 2 is powered on, a blank "USB Drive E:" shows in This PC.
  • When Jungle Flasher V0.1.96 is launched as administrator, it says "Found 1 I/O Ports", "Found 0 Com Ports", "Found 4 windows drives: C: D: E: G:" and "Found 0 CD/DVD drives"
  • With "USB Only" and "VIA ports Only" unchecked in the MTK Flash 32 tab, clicking "Benq UnLock" results in "No Drive Detected! Benq Un Lock aborted!"
  • With "USB Only" checked in the MTK Flash 32 tab, clicking "Benq UnLock" results in the same error.
Appreciate any help/pointers on this, thanks!

S

scottD1503

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
havent flashed a drive for a while not but the drive still needs power and i beliveve that the X360 USb Pro v2 does gain enough power from the single usb and needs the additional sata power connector to be plugged in, 12v power from memory is used for drive eject, normal drive function can be done with 5v.
If your worried about causing damage to the X360 USb Pro v2, connect the drive to the console power and then the sata data to the X360 USb Pro v2. see if the drive gets detected.

R

Rotgut

Reaction score
Sin$
havent flashed a drive for a while not but the drive still needs power and i beliveve that the X360 USb Pro v2 does gain enough power from the single usb and needs the additional sata power connector to be plugged in, 12v power from memory is used for drive eject, normal drive function can be done with 5v.
If your worried about causing damage to the X360 USb Pro v2, connect the drive to the console power and then the sata data to the X360 USb Pro v2. see if the drive gets detected.
Thanks. This is an extra drive I got off eBay; my 360 still has its drive intact. When you mean "console power" you mean opening up the 360 to connect this drive?

Part of my worry about damaging the X360 USB Pro V2 is from this video, showing the guy toasting his USB Pro V2 completely.

S

scottD1503

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks. This is an extra drive I got off eBay; my 360 still has its drive intact. When you mean "console power" you mean opening up the 360 to connect this drive?
you can open up the 360 and use the console to power the drive, but the video you attached shows him using a sata to usb adapter to power the x360usb pro v2 this only supplies 5v hence it not ejecting the drive a 12v power suply connected to the x360 is needed to eject the drive

R

Rotgut

Reaction score
Sin$
you can open up the 360 and use the console to power the drive, but the video you attached shows him using a sata to usb adapter to power the x360usb pro v2 this only supplies 5v hence it not ejecting the drive a 12v power suply connected to the x360 is needed to eject the drive
I wound up hooking the SATA to MOLEX to an extra MOLEX connection on my PC running Windows 7 via USB external drive, with driver signature disabled.

Unfortunately I still can't get Jungle Flasher to detect the BenQ drive. Tried flicking some of the switches on the 360 USB V2 with no luck. The eject button isn't opening the drive, either.

T

Thujone

Reaction score
Sin$
Just picked one of these up myself, have done everything you have as well, and also having "No Drive Detected!"

I also have not tried plugging anything into the extra molex connector, as it is allegedly unnecessary (source: redump wiki).

Have you found anything that works yet?

T

Thujone

Reaction score
Sin$
I just got a 12v molex adapter and hooked that up as well. More lights came on the x360USB Pro 2, and an additional device popped up (CK3i USB Controller), but I still get "No Drive Detected" under vendor.

Here is an image showing the drivers are properly installed (after disabling driver signature enforcement) but JungleFlasher is still not detecting drive. I have toggled every switch and I've tried running JungleFlasher in compatibility mode as well.

0VlFmjX.png

Post automatically merged:

OH MY GOD

I figured it out. After inspecting the power cable (12 pin) I realized the one I had was KEYED BACKWARDS. I looked at several images of 12 pin Xbox 360 disc drive power cables on Google to confirm, then cut the tabs off of one side and flipped it around backwards and vuolla, it's detecting.

Hope that works for you too, Rotgut!

Last edited:
Top Bottom
Login
Register