What's new

Discussion WTF is wrong with people these days...

• Thread starter The Ghost316
  • Start date
  • Views 4,393
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TBRaysFan2010

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
exactly what I was going to say.. the violence has nothing to do with this conversation... but oh so I guess the game is rated M and its violent all the offensive emblems I've been talking about and reporting are OK... double standards much...

and as for my cursing, its only used to highlight my point, I DO NOT curse in every post I make when I do its to make a point. as for the emblems it would be fine and I wouldn't mind it at all if it was just a few people doing it.. but that's not the case, there are thousands and thousands of people doing it... the last game I was in last night I was the only person in the room that didn't have an offensive/sexual themed emblem... if you ask me this is just getting way out of hand...
I realize that the violence has nothing to do with this conversation. I was simply using it as an example. To me it's crazy that seeing a guy's throat get gashed open with blood gushing out doesn't bother you, but a cartoon **** does. That logic doesn't make sense to me. That's all I was saying. I don't understand what you were talking about double standards for. I wasn't saying that I had a problem with the violence. Again I was just using it as an example.

And saying that you only mind it because a lot of people are doing it is kind of stupid. By that logic are you saying that if everyone starts using a smiley face emblem you are going to report it.

Notice how violence isn't censored on television and nudity is. Why should video games be any different?
I understand what you are saying I really do . I am just stating my opinion on the matter. Some of the sexual stuff that people have mentioned wouldn't be censored on T.V. though. For example, the other night on Nick Swardson's Pretend Time( a show on comedy central) they showed a bear raping a guy on one of the sketches. So if you want to follow the standards of television are you saying that people can have emblems of animals in sexual positions with guys as long as it doesn't show genitals ?

T

The Ghost316

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I realize that the violence has nothing to do with this conversation. I was simply using it as an example. To me it's crazy that seeing a guy's throat get gashed open with blood gushing out doesn't bother you, but a cartoon **** does. That logic doesn't make sense to me. That's all I was saying. I don't understand what you were talking about double standards for. I wasn't saying that I had a problem with the violence. Again I was just using it as an example.

And saying that you only mind it because a lot of people are doing it is kind of stupid. By that logic are you saying that if everyone starts using a smiley face emblem you are going to report it.

I understand what you are saying I really do . I am just stating my opinion on the matter. Some of the sexual stuff that people have mentioned wouldn't be censored on T.V. though. For example, the other night on Nick Swardson's Pretend Time( a show on comedy central) they showed a bear raping a guy on one of the sketches. So if you want to follow the standards of television are you saying that people can have emblems of animals in sexual positions with guys as long as it doesn't show genitals ?
its d***s... plural...

A Lychee Tree

A Lychee Tree

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Here's multiple arguments for several topics being discussed in here.

.:tongue:oint 1:.
This is asked before beginning the game-
Graphic Content

Call of Duty: Black Ops contains graphic content and historical footage which some players may find disturbing. Player discretion is advised.

Would you like to enable graphic content?

.:tongue:oint 2:.
Posted by Dan from One of Swords-
Some people have objected saying “it’s a mature game, who cares” or “this is free speech” — and hey, if the stuff doesn’t bother you, you don’t have to report it. You don’t even have to make an emblem if you don’t want to, so you certainly don’t have to react to anyone else’s.

But if you still feel this system infringes on your gaming rights, think of it like…an amusement park. Treyarch runs the place and you paid your money to get in, can go on any rides you want as many times as you want. But if you start negatively affecting the experience of other people by shouting at other guests or spraypainting the rides, well, it’s Treyarch’s park, and they’re going to keep it clean for as many people as possible, and they’re going to listen to a large number of complaints. It’s your game, but it’s also their game, and it’s everyone’s experience. That makes a lot of sense to me. If I went around shouting racial epithets at Disneyland, they’d kick me out too.

.:tongue:oint 3:.
Posted by Stephen Toulouse, Microsoft’s Director of Xbox Live Policy and Enforcement-
TL;DR: If you see offensive symbols in Call of Duty, Black Ops, report them using the in game option and they will be taken care of. If you want to argue that swastikas are actually AWESOME, go to another forum. On Xbox LIVE they are not allowed. :>

[EDIT: I made tweaks to the below entry as I inadvertanly diminished the symbol's importance outside of its use by the Nazis. My point on the post is not really specific to the swastika, I could have written as much about the word "***" being a cigarette in the UK. However one should strive to be accurate so I made some adjustments.]

Tonight I got asked one of those questions that only my job can apparently engender, namely “Hey, I’m not a genocidal hater of Jews but I really love the design of the swastika because its actually used by numerous religions, can I use it as my Call Of Duty: Black Ops logo? SWASTIKAS ARE AWESOME.No really, someone asked me this as a serious question on twitter. So I of course replied, “no, of course you can’t, we’ll ban you.”

UH OH! OUT COMES THE INTERNET PUNDITS!

You know the type I mean. They’ve read an article that’s contrarian to some position widely held, or they’ve found some obscure fact that contradicts common interpretation. Some of them claim to have known it as innate fact, others claim it to be widespread common knowledge taught to every single person in elementary school. Of course, usually neither is true at all. Most of them are just contrarians. They would never dare to wear a swastika openly, but they love to argue about how the world has “misunderstood” this symbol. Or they view any opportunity for human interaction, no matter the appropriateness, to push their point.

Under some religions, the specific design of the Nazi swastika is certainly not unique to the German Nazi Party. In some cases, it can be interpreted to mean unity depending on how it is oriented. But somehow, (I know, calm yourself) the prosecution of an entire world war in the 20th century co-opted that symbol for western civilizations into a symbol of evil and hatred. Let’s be clear: no educated human on the planet looks at the swastika symbol on a video game service in “the year we make contact” and says “oh, that symbol has nothing at all in any way to do with global genocide of an entire race and, even if it did, one should totally and reasonably ignore that because it’s a symbol that was stolen or coop-ted from religions.” (If you want to know more about this topic, the wikipedia entry for it is fairly comprehensive.)

Well, no educated human on the planet that is, unless we’re talking about the Internet. Because according to the Internet, certain orientations of the swastika symbol was stamped on all money, food, foreheads, temples, and just about everywhere any reasonable person could find it. And the Nazi’s effectively won world war two if anyone promotes banning the Nazi orientation of the symbol. I exaggerate of course, but the tone of some of the people's points made it seem as if it was somehow political correctness gone too far to note that use of the swastika on our service is not allowed.

Indeed, my twitter stream was filled with people stating that Xbox LIVE should equally ban the star of David, the Christian cross, and yes I am not kidding, the infinity symbol because under various niche interpretations of those symbols, they are as evil as the swastika symbol and I should apply ethical relativism to all symbols on Xbox LIVE to respect all viewpoints because of the United States First Amendment.

Even better? The argument that because the single player of the game is rated mature, the online experience should allow for all manner of horrible genocidal viewpoints. I know the symbols might show up in games, but that's content that you know that you are getting, because it is rated content. It's there as part of the experience, not making a statement. Using it as your emblem is different.

No really.

I hate to do this Internet, I really really do, but let me lay out some reality.

The Xbox LIVE profile and in game content you create is accessible by everyone. You do not have the context inside of it to explain your long winded contrarian view that your pithy text that violates the Terms of Use or Code of Conduct is actually intended to change people’s minds about a commonly held understanding.

It’s not political correctness, it’s fundamental respect. If you think the swastika symbol should be re-evaluated by societies all over the Earth, I think that’s great. Your Xbox LIVE profile or in game logo, which doesn’t have the context to explain your goal, is not the right place to do that. And by the way, that doesn't just go for the Swastika, it applies to many other symbols as well that my team does indeed take action on when we see it.

Context.

Yes we can have the discussion in other venues about the double meaning of various terms, something my team does everyday. But for many topics, its kind of a no-brainer.

Klaxon

mr MASADA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
op why not report the game for gore? cmon now. Why is everyone offended these days? i believe the term i looking for right now is " GROW A PAIR AND MAN UP!"

T

TBRaysFan2010

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Here's multiple arguments for several topics being discussed in here.

.:tongue:oint 1:.
This is asked before beginning the game-

.:tongue:oint 2:.
Posted by Dan from One of Swords-

.:tongue:oint 3:.
Posted by Stephen Toulouse, Microsoft’s Director of Xbox Live Policy and Enforcement-
[/spoiler]​
Hey man I'm with you on the swastikas. I've never said people shouldn't report those. Any racist emblems are trying to spread hate. That is a whole different story. Having a swastika is saying that you support killing Jews. But cartoon d***s ?

alucard7616

alucard7616

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
i see what you mean with the kkk thing and if your A jew maybe the swastikas but this is an 18+ game and if you think a c**k looks offensive then your just immature or a 13 year old teen who's balls haven't dropped and can't even buy his own games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom
Login
Register