What's new

Solved Would I be able to turn my R2 Unit into a Hackintosh

J

Jedi

That Star Wars Guy
Reaction score
Sin$
I was thinking about turning my window 10 PC into a Hackintosh computer instead o buying a macbook but I don't know I the hardware is compatible. I'm not familiar with anything Apple so I figured this would be the place to ask.

Here is my original build http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/threads/my-r2-unit.1163345/ but I've added a couple of 4tb HDDS to it. Any input is appreciated

Cosmic Owl

Cosmic Owl

Determination!
Content Team
VIP
MotM Stickied Journalist
Reaction score
Sin$
I think so. On phone at the moment, I'll check back with you in a bit.

J

Jedi

That Star Wars Guy
Reaction score
Sin$
Based on my limited knowledge and research, it seems that the motherboard is the only thing that might not be compatible. Any input is apprectiated

Cosmic Owl

Cosmic Owl

Determination!
Content Team
VIP
MotM Stickied Journalist
Reaction score
Sin$
Based on my limited knowledge and research, it seems that the motherboard is the only thing that might not be compatible. Any input is apprectiated
There's a good chance it might not work. It might, though. I'm not really sure about how well MSI boards work. You might as well give it a try.

J

Jedi

That Star Wars Guy
Reaction score
Sin$
There's a good chance it might not work. It might, though. I'm not really sure about how well MSI boards work. You might as well give it a try.
Well I found this page that shows me the hardware components that are compatible and my Z87 series motherboard isn't compatible without doing something to the bios. But I don't have the first clue on how to install Mac OS onto my computer. I was thinking of dual booting it with Windows 10, but I only have a 128 gb SSD that I would share the OS with. Any ideas or comments?

Cosmic Owl

Cosmic Owl

Determination!
Content Team
VIP
MotM Stickied Journalist
Reaction score
Sin$
Well I found this page that shows me the hardware components that are compatible and my Z87 series motherboard isn't compatible without doing something to the bios. But I don't have the first clue on how to install Mac OS onto my computer. I was thinking of dual booting it with Windows 10, but I only have a 128 gb SSD that I would share the OS with. Any ideas or comments?
Well, do you have access to an actual Mac? Because you'll need a Mac to even set this up.

J

Jedi

That Star Wars Guy
Reaction score
Sin$
Well, do you have access to an actual Mac? Because you'll need a Mac to even set this up.
Nope. I don't have access to a Mac. Why would you need a Mac to use the OS? Can't you just use a downloaded OS?

Cosmic Owl

Cosmic Owl

Determination!
Content Team
VIP
MotM Stickied Journalist
Reaction score
Sin$
Nope. I don't have access to a Mac. Why would you need a Mac to use the OS? Can't you just use a downloaded OS?
Because you need to make the bootable media on OS X.

J

Jedi

That Star Wars Guy
Reaction score
Sin$
Because you need to make the bootable media on OS X.
This girl that I'm talking to has one. Maybe I can borrow it. I just read up on how to do it so it shouldn't be a problem. Is it worth it? Dual booting the Mac OS or just running Mac over Windows?

Cosmic Owl

Cosmic Owl

Determination!
Content Team
VIP
MotM Stickied Journalist
Reaction score
Sin$
This girl that I'm talking to has one. Maybe I can borrow it. I just read up on how to do it so it shouldn't be a problem. Is it worth it? Dual booting the Mac OS or just running Mac over Windows?
I never got the dual boot to work, then again, I didn't try very hard. It's definitely as hassle. There are so many random things that can go wrong, and it can take awhile to figure out. You'll probably want to dual boot, for gaming at least.

J

Jedi

That Star Wars Guy
Reaction score
Sin$
I never got the dual boot to work, then again, I didn't try very hard. It's definitely as hassle. There are so many random things that can go wrong, and it can take awhile to figure out. You'll probably want to dual boot, for gaming at least.
How much of the 128 gb SSD should I set aside for the Mac OS?

Cosmic Owl

Cosmic Owl

Determination!
Content Team
VIP
MotM Stickied Journalist
Reaction score
Sin$
How much of the 128 gb SSD should I set aside for the Mac OS?
Depends on what you plan to use OSX for. If you're using your browser and a few small programs, probably like, 20 gigs at the most. Or just half of the drive, if you want to be sure.

J

Jedi

That Star Wars Guy
Reaction score
Sin$
Depends on what you plan to use OSX for. If you're using your browser and a few small programs, probably like, 20 gigs at the most. Or just half of the drive, if you want to be sure.
Sounds good man. I appreciate the help. Before I can do any of this I need a new monitor. I've been using my 50" tv as one and my neck hurts lol
Looks like you can, see this tonymacx86 thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...45-gaming-msi-geforce-gtx-760-oc-edition.html

It might be worth just using a virtual machine though depending on what you are using it for :smile:
Thanks man. That thread is very helpful. I might use the bios to switch between OS or use a client like I did once between Linux and Windows

Cosmic Owl

Cosmic Owl

Determination!
Content Team
VIP
MotM Stickied Journalist
Reaction score
Sin$
Sounds good man. I appreciate the help. Before I can do any of this I need a new monitor. I've been using my 50" tv as one and my neck hurts lol

Thanks man. That thread is very helpful. I might use the bios to switch between OS or use a client like I did once between Linux and Windows
No problem. There are plenty of helpful resources lying around the internet, especially at tonymac, that can help you get this off the ground. If you need any other help, you know where to find us.

J

Jedi

That Star Wars Guy
Reaction score
Sin$
No problem. There are plenty of helpful resources lying around the internet, especially at tonymac, that can help you get this off the ground. If you need any other help, you know where to find us.
I do have another quick question. What is the difference between all of the Mac OS out there? And which one is the best to install? Because I hear something called Maverick and another called El Capitan?

Cosmic Owl

Cosmic Owl

Determination!
Content Team
VIP
MotM Stickied Journalist
Reaction score
Sin$
I do have another quick question. What is the difference between all of the Mac OS out there? And which one is the best to install? Because I hear something called Maverick and another called El Capitan?
El Capitan is the newest version, with Yosemite and and Mavericks before it.

The difference is the same as any thing else that gets updated. The newer versions have a more polished look and feel, and have newer features.

Top Bottom
Login
Register