• Thread starter Xolitude
  • Start date
  • Views 5,261
Xolitude

Xolitude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Hello, everyone. My name is Tyler but I typically go by Xolitude.

WoW-2D's Blog

Anyways, I'm here to "announce" WoW-2D. WoW-2D is essentially a project with the goal of re-creating the vanilla World of Warcraft experience in 2-D. WoW-2D is nothing more than a passion project and it's something that, over time, I am confident I can complete, start to finish. I have no worry as to whether or not there is a market for a 2-D World of Warcraft, quite the opposite. Being this a passion project, I'm hoping that it will be something that people can poke fun at and enjoy at the same time.

I started the project on August 21 of this year and, in my opinion, I have made a nice bit of progress. I am building WoW-2D using Slick2D for the engine and Kryonet for the netcode. I didn't feel the need to build my own engine from the ground up as I've been messing around in Slick2D for quite some time and after thinking about it, Slick will do what I'll need it to, at least for the foreseeable future. I also have a decent amount of experience in general programming, specifically in C# and Java.

In terms of the project, I am currently the sole developer and artist and would love to work with a small team, if anyone is interested/has experience. Personally, I'd prefer artists more than anything as my pixel art skills are absolutely horrid. Unfortunately, as of right now, I am unable to pay anyone for their work but if anyone might share the fun-loving passion for WoW that I do, I think it could be a fun adventure!

If anyone is interested in working with me on this or would just like to follow the progress, please reply to this post and/or follow the link above to the blog.

Regards,
Xolitude

Token

Token

Godly Sinner
Administrator
Content Team
Hidden Devils
Grammar Nazi Frame In Gold Odysseus' Summit
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
I'd be happy to assist with graphics/art for the project.

Xolitude

Xolitude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I'd be happy to assist with graphics/art for the project.
I apologize for not responding sooner. That would be amazing and I'd deeply appreciate it :biggrin:
As of right now, all work put towards WoW-2D will be unpaid. At some point, when there is a playable version, I may open-up a Patreon or something similar so I could pay you for your work.

Please DM me when you see my reply or feel free to hop on the Discord, and thank you :smile:

DirtyBear

DirtyBear

What does this do?
Services Grizzled Veteran Gifter
Reaction score
Sin$
Good thought on paper, but how do you plan on doing zones like DM, MC, ZF and Naxx? Its gonna be hard to replicate those as a 2D entity.

Xolitude

Xolitude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Good thought on paper, but how do you plan on doing zones like DM, MC, ZF and Naxx? Its gonna be hard to replicate those as a 2D entity.
You are correct. Art will be the biggest hurdle for a project like this. If Knife does decide to help in the near future, we will work on creating map art that has depth (which is arguably the toughest part) and a likeness to its 3D counterpart. Even through the difficulty, I personally am not looking for perfection. This is a passion project and I wish to retain that feeling all the way through.

EDIT: A nice example of a 3D->2D project is OOT-2D(http://www.oot-2d.com/?m=1). The tilesets used and/or created contain the depth I was talking about. This would possibly allow for the complex functionality that some of those zones require.

Last edited:
DirtyBear

DirtyBear

What does this do?
Reaction score
Sin$
You are correct. Art will be the biggest hurdle for a project like this. If Knife does decide to help in the near future, we will work on creating map art that has depth (which is arguably the toughest part) and a likeness to its 3D counterpart. Even through the difficulty, I personally am not looking for perfection. This is a passion project and I wish to retain that feeling all the way through.

EDIT: A nice example of a 3D->2D project is OOT-2D(http://www.oot-2d.com/?m=1). The tilesets used and/or created contain the depth I was talking about. This would possibly allow for the complex functionality that some of those zones require.

How to do you plan on replicating the boss abilities?

I ask these questions not to tear it down or point out flaws, I have been playing wow for 13 years and have owned private servers for the last 4 years.

Xolitude

Xolitude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
How to do you plan on replicating the boss abilities?

I ask these questions not to tear it down or point out flaws, I have been playing wow for 13 years and have owned private servers for the last 4 years.
Please, I welcome the fact you'd like to raise flaws and questions. As I'm not near that point yet, it is indeed hard to say. However, most of that relies on scripting and hand-drawing the sprite animations. I'm excited for the critique on these when I do in-fact get to that point because I'll need it and so will the project.

Like I said, I am limited in a lot of ways using a 2D plane but I think it will offer neat perspective.

DirtyBear

DirtyBear

What does this do?
Reaction score
Sin$
Please, I welcome the fact you'd like to raise flaws and questions. As I'm not near that point yet, it is indeed hard to say. However, most of that relies on scripting and hand-drawing the sprite animations. I'm excited for the critique on these when I do in-fact get to that point because I'll need it and so will the project.

Like I said, I am limited in a lot of ways using a 2D plane but I think it will offer neat perspective.

I 100% agree that it will be a cool perspective. I just think you are gonna lose on that mmo feel that Vanilla had.

Xolitude

Xolitude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I 100% agree that it will be a cool perspective. I just think you are gonna lose on that mmo feel that Vanilla had.
It's interesting that you mention that. I've recently been thinking of a different route but I'll talk more on that later.

Xolitude

Xolitude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Hey everyone!

Just wanted to say that although development has been very slow, I made a new Github repository for the project. The old one and it's code were quite messy: [Click here to view this link].

Also, although it is absolutely not necessary, anyone is free to donate if they'd like as motivation can sometimes dwindle while working full-time and attending uni. The Paypal link can be found under the Support section on the README.md.

jack

jack

七転び八起き
Administrator
Scaling the Mountain Mythical Veteran MotM
Reaction score
Sin$
While I could probably help with art, I think I'm way too busy. But I did want to chime in and say I'd be really interested in this. The concept has a lot of merit and you should pursue it for as long as you're able. If I find I have time to help, I'll certainly let you know.

Xolitude

Xolitude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
While I could probably help with art, I think I'm way too busy. But I did want to chime in and say I'd be really interested in this. The concept has a lot of merit and you should pursue it for as long as you're able. If I find I have time to help, I'll certainly let you know.

Thank you, Feyfolken! I really appreciate that, it means a lot. I certainly plan to work on it as long as I can. A quick note on the art situation: As I don't have time to do the art or anyone to contribute and understandably so because the amount of work needed is pretty intense, I plan on using sprites from OGA and/or Sprite Creator. I will also be using royalty-free tilesets found on OGA/other such forums so unfortunately, the maps themselves will not really resemble those found in World of Warcraft but that's not really important to me. Object (npc, mobs, etc) names, map names and other types will remain the same of course and otherwise, functionality is the biggest concern to me.

A note on the project: A friend I've made through the love of this project on the Discord server is helping me with a C# port of WoW-2D, so that's exciting! The Java edition will continue to be developed along-side the C# port. The port is being written on-top of MonoGame with our own network solution.

In terms of contributions, I deeply appreciate your interest and I understand that you don't have the time to contribute your skill-set, the thought towards the idea alone is enough to make my day and there's no worries :smile:

In the future, I hope to offer payment for people's work as was the main reason I opened up the option to contribute using Paypal but otherwise that's something I can't pull off right now. If you ever find yourself with additional time to spend and wish to spend it on this, please let me know and again, thank you for the kind thoughts, intrigue and support :smile:

Z

Zerker24

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Thank you, Feyfolken! I really appreciate that, it means a lot. I certainly plan to work on it as long as I can. A quick note on the art situation: As I don't have time to do the art or anyone to contribute and understandably so because the amount of work needed is pretty intense, I plan on using sprites from OGA and/or Sprite Creator. I will also be using royalty-free tilesets found on OGA/other such forums so unfortunately, the maps themselves will not really resemble those found in World of Warcraft but that's not really important to me. Object (npc, mobs, etc) names, map names and other types will remain the same of course and otherwise, functionality is the biggest concern to me.

A note on the project: A friend I've made through the love of this project on the Discord server is helping me with a C# port of WoW-2D, so that's exciting! The Java edition will continue to be developed along-side the C# port. The port is being written on-top of MonoGame with our own network solution.

In terms of contributions, I deeply appreciate your interest and I understand that you don't have the time to contribute your skill-set, the thought towards the idea alone is enough to make my day and there's no worries :smile:

In the future, I hope to offer payment for people's work as was the main reason I opened up the option to contribute using Paypal but otherwise that's something I can't pull off right now. If you ever find yourself with additional time to spend and wish to spend it on this, please let me know and again, thank you for the kind thoughts, intrigue and support :smile:
I would be happy to assist in the C# portion of things. Could be a fun project. I don't know Java well enough to assist much. The syntax is almost identical to c#, but I haven't used java that much to be confident in my ability.

Xolitude

Xolitude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I would be happy to assist in the C# portion of things. Could be a fun project. I don't know Java well enough to assist much. The syntax is almost identical to c#, but I haven't used java that much to be confident in my ability.

I appreciate the interest, Zerker :smile: My co-worker had some technical issues and was a tad uncommunicative on progress and therefore some time was lost which could've been otherwise spent on productivity. I'll definitely let you know in the near future :smile:

Xolitude

Xolitude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Hey everyone! Just wanted to post a bit of an update:

Hey everyone! Just wanted to post some updated progress and looking for feedback. Here are a few in-game screenshots:

Login

Creation Screen

In-game

---

In-terms of the scripting, it's very barebones as I just wanted to test the idea before going forward with anything in terms of questing, leveling, starting data, etc,. Here's how they are loaded:

Code:
var scriptFiles = Directory.GetFiles(WorldSettings.GetSection("Data").GetString("scripts"), "*.dll");
foreach (var file in scriptFiles)
{
   var fileName = file.Split('/')[2].Split('.')[0];
   var fileFullPath = Path.GetFullPath(file);
   var asmFile = Assembly.LoadFile(fileFullPath);
   var asmType = asmFile.GetType(string.Format("{0}.ConsoleTest", fileName));
   Scripts.Add(Activator.CreateInstance(asmType) as IScript);
}

foreach (var script in Scripts)
   script.OnLoaded();

Pretty obvious, I'm sure.

The script projects reference Framework.dll as-of right now and uses it's objects:
Code:
using Framework;
using System;

namespace SampleScript
{
    /// <summary>
    /// A basic sample-script.
    /// </summary>
    public class ConsoleTest : IScript
    {
        public void OnLoaded() => Console.WriteLine("My first script <3");
    }