Wireless N General Questions

Discussion in 'PC Support Archive' started by VoOdOo, Dec 1, 2008 with 6 replies and 113 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VoOdOo

VoOdOo VIP VIP

Ratings:
    For X-mas i want a wireless N router and my parents also think i should get one so i dont have to keep running my 50 foot ethernet through the basement. Before i get one and stop running a wired connection i want to know some things.

1. How close will it be in terms of speed to my wired connection?
    2. What brand should i go with?
    3. How much should i spend?
    4. How much better is it than wireless G?

2. MiKe Is FeArEd

MiKe Is FeArEd Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Ok, well first off is your 50 foot cable connected to a router in the basement or directly to a modem.

3. JoeMal

JoeMal Retired Retired

Ratings:
    1. That depends on like 10 things
    2. Linksys/Cisco
    3. I wouldn't spend more than 100 on a router
    4. It's supposed to be quite a bit better

***Remember this***

If you go with N for a router, every WiFi device on your network needs to be N as well, otherwise your router 'downgrades' to a G signal in order to provide your G devices with a signal.

So if you have 3 machines using WiFi, ALL will need an N adapter in order to retain N speeds

4. MiKe Is FeArEd

MiKe Is FeArEd Enthusiast

Ratings:
    To me wireless ran a little slower than wired, and if you got a wireless router, and you want to connect to the router wirelessly you are going to need the wireless adapter put on the back of your pc.

I meant the back of your xbox not pc:biggrin:

5. iDragon

iDragon Member

Ratings:
    1) most likely it will come close, but dropped connections the signal strength and other factors you always have to worry about. Some wireless routers are more then likely to freeze up or drop connections if your downloading torrents with multiple P2P connections.
    2)The wireless N routers seem to be Iffy right now, people either get the routers and LOVE THEM or get them and they can't set them up or have trouble and end up HATING THEM. So when your looking for an N just go to newegg and look at the reviews and see which one you want the most and just go with it. If you dont like it use the newegg 30day policy.
    3)I'd say not over $100 yet. [Click here to view the link] this one seems like its got the best ratings so far, and its strange since its a rosewill XD
    4)Basically if you get it set up and are running at say 150-300MB/s your still going triple the speed of the G So its ALOT better. But you just have to keep in mind all wireless N routers are still in draft.

****Also remember your network is only as strong as your weakest link. If you haven't already upgraded your network cables to CAT5e i'd take the time to do it before you upgrade your wireless.

6. OP
    VoOdOo

VoOdOo VIP VIP

Ratings:
    they are all Cat5e so im good there and doesnt wired run at like 100mbps? so shouldnt it be like 3x faster than wired?

7. iDragon

iDragon Member

Ratings:
    Your wireless won't go faster than your wired. Just think about your still using that internet cable connected to your router to get to the internet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.