wireless internet help

Discussion in 'PC Support Archive' started by xl All Pro lx, Dec 2, 2008 with 7 replies and 106 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xl All Pro lx

xl All Pro lx Member

Ratings:
    my wireless internet on my desktop just up and stopped working last night. it connects to my router but can't get an ip address or anything. i have reset everything but nothing has worked. any ideas?

2. Kira

Kira Seasoned Member

Ratings:
    Worst case is that you downloaded something off of the internet, and it blocks all IP addresses from your computer. Best thing to do would be to reinstall windows. It's happened to me before as well, and that's how I fixed it.

3. OP
    xl All Pro lx

xl All Pro lx Member

Ratings:
    i havent downloaded anything off of the internet i just installed xp pro sp3 and installed everything. all over.

4. Ibdc

Ibdc Retired Retired

Ratings:
    If you haven't already, try a system restore.

5. JoeMal

JoeMal Retired Retired

Ratings:
    STOP IT WITH THE SYSTEM RESTORE

I'm tired of computer noobs telling everyone to restore...if you don't know how to fix the problem, don't post

The same problem just happened to my girlfriend's friend...it would connect to the router but would never get out to the internet...it ended up being her cable from her router to her modem....
    You can try resetting your router, flashing with newer firmware, or bringing in a new router with WiFi to rule out the possibilities of what the problem is

6. OP
    xl All Pro lx

xl All Pro lx Member

Ratings:
    well i already changed my ethernet cord from my router to my modem. so thats not it. firmware should be up to date according to my computer yesterday. and i can access my router then internet with my ipod touch and it works find but with my desktop via wireless card its a no go and my laptop wireless its a no go

7. JoeMal

JoeMal Retired Retired

Ratings:
    So your Touch gets WiFi but not your PCs?

8. Ibdc

Ibdc Retired Retired

Ratings:
    Chill bro, I was just asking if he had tried that yet, because in a lot of situations, that can fix the problem.

Anyways, you try resetting your winsock entries and tcp/ip stacks by opening command prompt and typing the following:
    netsh winsock reset catalog

netsh int ip reset reset.log

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.