Solved Windows XP Help

• Thread starter Kentucky69
  • Start date
  • Views 245
K

Kentucky69

Reaction score
Sin$
When I hit start and then shut down,there is a always a couple minute wait,until the next dioalog box to shut down or restart..etc comes up. It just started the last couple months and i've ran virus scans to see if thats what it is and there was nothing. Im not that great with computers so i was looking for some help. Let me know,thanks

My Computer:
HP Pavilion dv9000
I got it in 2006

Operating System
  1. Windows
Soviet Pro

Soviet Pro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Well, this could be of two things:

1. Your PC has tons of software and a lot of processes running in the background so Windows is taking it's time to close everything.

2. Virus, Trojan or Malware that executes some code before shut down, but I highly doubt it.

Remove some applications and unwanted files and see if that changes anything.

Cause viruses usually actually damage something.

Hope this helps:thumbup:

iFailModz

iFailModz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I can't really give my general opinion on what to do since I don't know how old your computer is but if you tell me that I can probably give you some tips on what i would do.

iFailModz

iFailModz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I think you should get windows 7 its really good it will surely speed up your computer, but before you install it make sure you put all your files and everything on a backup ex:removable hard drive so that you don't loose everything and it can be reloaded back to your computer. another suggestion is completely different buy you can go to your programs list and remove all the old garbage that isn't required, and also do a disk defrag, and your computer will be like new if steps are done correctly.

iFailModz

iFailModz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Did you try cleaning up any old programs to get rid of some of them. I'm not quite sure what you asked for help with before but I think you said something about speed i also suggest adding more ram to your computer you can youtube it if you wish.

K

Kentucky69

Reaction score
Sin$
SiCk DropSh0tz said:
Did you try cleaning up any old programs to get rid of some of them. I'm not quite sure what you asked for help with before but I think you said something about speed i also suggest adding more ram to your computer you can youtube it if you wish.

What im asking is when you hit the START button and then the red SHUT DOWN button,there is a wait for the next Prompt Box to come up asking to: Shut Down,Restart,Standy By,Etc. This has never happend before only lately and i havent downloaded anything that could cause this. So i was wondering what is making there be a wait for the prompt box to appear. Becuase it is annoying to wait for. Sorry for the confussion and thank you for trying to help me.

Tyler

Tyler

Bacon Strips & Bacon Strips & Bacon Strips &
Grammar Nazi Hardened Veteran Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
When is the last time you did a clean install of Windows? Sometimes the registry might get cluttered with old crap and what not. I say, back up files and re-install Windows.

Win7 if you can its amazing.

Top Bottom
Login
Register