Windows to Linux Theory

Discussion in 'PC Support Archive' started by Dotmonkey, Nov 14, 2008 with 15 replies and 337 views.

1. Dotmonkey

Dotmonkey Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Please see my post on Deviant Art.

[Click here to view the link]

I have been thinking a lot lately about Linux and Windows applications working to be one.

In Linux, you have to use Emulators to use anything. Pretty much all windows programs. Most users don't like to use Linux for Gaming. I do. Not only does it give me more speed, but I don't have to worry about getting a server hacked with DDoS.

The Theory:
    With "Wine" a free emulator for Linux, it installs various .dll files to run most Windows Programs. Now, what if we made a program that makes a partition on your HD just for .dll's and Wine directs to there? Its like having Windows on a Linux! What does a .dll do? A .dll starts a C code called a ;main to start certain programs and to function them with actions. For example, lets say you want to open photoshop. When you open it, the first .dll does its work in about 3 secs to initialize another .dll

In the process, all .dll's are working together to run a program. So why not Linux? That is my goal. My plan is to attempt to program an application that will make a partition on your Hard Drive. From there, the application will store and update the most recent .dll's.

Please comment on my theory. Also, if this has been attempted, please notify me through PM and do not flame.

2. Michael Allison

Michael Allison Enthusiast

Ratings:
    What? No offense, but just... no.

You have more options for software on Linux than you do on Windows, and most of it is more powerful. If you're doing video editing, graphic design, or gaming, then just switch to Windows or something. Linux isn't for that.

I think this is completely unnecessary. Not trying to flame, but as an experienced Linux user, this is by far an item of little importance. It's so far down on the agenda, you actually need to use the End key on your computer for once to find it!

3. OP
    Dotmonkey

Dotmonkey Enthusiast

Ratings:
    -.-'

If you must know. I accidentally deleted Windows off my PC whilst installing Ubuntu. I deleted the Partition when I didn't want to. I clicked the wrong settings and there was no cancel. So bye bye Windows. :.(

Anywho, this would be an advancement for Linux users. End key? rofl.

The only way Windows programs will work in Linux is if you have the correct .dll's. Which is one of the series of problems while running games on an emulator.

4. Michael Allison

Ratings:
    However, like I said, most Linux users are smart enough to know that to be honest, Windows is the best gaming environment.

I can assist you in attaining a new XP disc or Vista disc, and if you don't know how to resize your Ubuntu partition, then I can also send a tutorial your way. You can resize the partitions at will, and free up room for another operating system, at any time. It's not like you have to be installing a new OS at the time to change your partitions! Vista has it's own partition manager built in, as does Ubuntu.

Also: old school Debian all the way. It's what my epic Dell Inspiron 1000 FTP server is (was) run on.

Oh, by the by, whatever you do, I'll at least say this will be an interesting project to keep tabs on... if it renders positive results, I'll gladly admit I'm wrong, and that people are willing to go through the trouble to play their games on a more reliable OS. It's not like Windows does a better job, it's just that the game programmers are bought out by Microsoft to program their games only for Windows!

5. Forgoten Dynasty

Forgoten Dynasty Free Sosa #bangbang Premium

Ratings:
    You don't get hacked with DDOS
    DDOS means distributed denial of service. what it does is send you so many packets your internet crashes.
    no matter what OS you are running it will crash your internet.

6. Ibdc

Ibdc Retired Retired

Ratings:
    Ok dude, you're completely off on this whole dll thing. Wine doesn't solely rely on dll files. A dll is a dynamically linked library, it's a file that a program uses to store more code. What Wine does is it takes a bunch of important files necessary to run an application, including, but not limited to dll files. Dll files are definitely not the most important thing to consider when trying to emulate/simulate a windows environment, for example explorer.exe is a pretty important one, and anything else a program needs to interact with in order to run will be necessary, mainly the contents of C:\Windows

and no offense, but this wouldn't really be a huge advancement for Linux users. If there was a huge demand for extensive use of windows applications on Linux trust me, there's tons of programmers out there who could have made that happen, but the fact of the matter is Linux isn't meant for gaming, if you really want to game just use windows....

7. Michael Allison

Ratings:
    I thought it was "direct", not "distrubted".

Can't believe I didn't catch he said that. Yeah, a DDoS is a type of Trojan. It's sent to multiple computers which then become it's slave in spamming your server with useless requests of one sort or another. Usually pinging or something.

Since DDoS techniques often use viruses to increase the number of attacks it can perform by taking over different computers, I guess he could be saying he doesn't want to open a virus by mistake... but that's what an anti-virus is for.

8. Forgoten Dynasty

Ratings:
    that makes a little bit more scene. However I still think everyone who has read this thread has become dumber as a result.

9. Ibdc

Ibdc Retired Retired

Ratings:
    Sorry but dude, you have it wrong too. It is distributed, and anti virus software can't stop it, it can only help to make you less susceptible to being used to DDoS someone else. I'll give you a summary in lay man's terms of how it works.
    You infect x amount of random people with your bot, and then use their connections to overwhelm the victim of the DDoS attack.

10. Michael Allison

Ratings:
    Well, if you're "infecting" people, an anti-virus can stop it. I didn't mean it can stop the attack on your server, I meant it can stop you from being used as a DDoS tool. :wink:

Also: yeah, I got the name wrong, you're right!

Actually, depending on how it "infects", you could only have a firewall defense instead, right? I'm not sure how they infect, because I've never made one, but I'm familiar with the concept. I made a single Denial of Service client once, and used it on my friend for a week to screw with him. :smile:

Thanks for enlightening me though, knowing about random malware is not my forte.

11. Forgoten Dynasty

Ratings:
    Few anti virus pick up bot nets

12. Michael Allison

Ratings:
    Then surely a firewall is going to catch your computer trying to send massive pings to some IP address, right?

If you run a server, you should have some kind of protection against all that kind of stuff anyway. Especially against actually being DDoSed.

Okay, I'm so tired my jaw hurts. Night folks, I'll come back when my IQ is above 70 again!

13. Forgoten Dynasty

Ratings:
    If you are being DDoSed then its comming from many different ips there for each ip does not send enough to set off any typical firewall off.
    You would not believe how much se7ensins pays for their anti-dos wall

MUST NOT FLAME

14. Michael Allison

Ratings:
    You have to read more carefully: I said if your computer were being USED to send packets, your firewall would pick it up.

And they shouldn't pay much, because I know it's pretty easy to protect against that kind of attack on a Linux server. :smile: I just looked up... so yeah.

15. nickcas

nickcas Member

Ratings:
    How do you stop a random ip addresses from pinging you? It's not "pretty easy" to do.

16. Ibdc

Ibdc Retired Retired

Ratings:
    Most firewalls probably won't pick it up. Typically the kids that get infected with something are the ones who aren't smart enough to realize it, and if these people are dumb enough they probably don't have a firewall at all, or don't have enough common sense to realize they're infected with something. Sure there's situations where someone might realize that they're infected and manage to remove it, but the vast majority of people on the internet don't know what the hell they're doing, and that's why they're infected in the first place. But if you're running linux, typically you probably won't run across a bot. That doesn't mean someone can't hit you off though.
    That's not necessarily true either, really the best way to defend against being attacked is to either:
    A. Not piss people off
    B. Have an amazing connection/a ton of bandwith
    C. Have a dynamic IP address that you're able to change quickly and easily.

There are other ways, but there's different types of attacks, so really if someone has your IP and wants to hit you off, they'll be able to.