Windows installer disk wont pick up my HDDs

Discussion in 'PC Support Archive' started by Forgoten Dynasty, Feb 10, 2009 with 3 replies and 106 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forgoten Dynasty

Forgoten Dynasty Free Sosa #bangbang Premium

Ratings:
    Ok so i have windows currently installed but i have alot of crap and i figured the best way to get rid of it all would be to start clean.
    However when i go to reinstall windows my hdd will not show up in the installers. So Far i tried windows 7 and that didnt work so i just thought i wasnt compadible. but then i busted out my windows xp disk (the one my current version uses) and that wont detect it either.
    Both HDDs show up in my bios perfectly fine and windows boots perfectly from them. But when ever i try to install with a disk neither one of them are picked up.

2. Altec6

Altec6 Premium Premium

Ratings:
    Are they SATA drives or IDE? One thing you can check is to make sure your SATA controller is set to "compatibility mode" in the BIOS, that is if your system supports this option. Also, did you have both drives installed when you put the OS on the first time or did you add one later? You may want to check the jumpers on the drives and make sure one is the master and the other is slave. Hope this helps.

3. OP
    Forgoten Dynasty

Forgoten Dynasty Free Sosa #bangbang Premium

Ratings:
    i had both installed and i think im just going to unplug one

Im pretty sure its IDE but it has SATA in the name when i go in my bios so im not 100% sure

4. Haxalot88

Haxalot88 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    you need to either get the right RAID drivers for your motherboard and slipstream them in, or there should be an option on your motherboard's BIOS to treat your SATA controllers exactly like IDE interfaces, thus bypassing the need for a RAID driver. Check your mobo for such a feature, OR if you give up, I can probably find you a tutorial to slipstream the correct drivers in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.