• Start date
  • Views 1,341
TerrifiedOne

TerrifiedOne

Lifetime Premium
Lifetime
Reaction score
Sin$
I bought this laptop about 2 months ago. Its an Asus ROG Gaming laptop. Windows 10 the whole works. All the trial anti virus software just ended. Whats the best free software I can get from TPB or anywhere else to protect my laptop?

Operating System
  1. Windows
Unbound 7s

Unbound 7s

0x50676f573
Seasoned Veteran Grizzled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Kaspersky has gotten a lot better. Really the only one that I recommend just from personal use. Commodo is also pretty good but not the best *free* one out there.

Th3-Chronikk

Th3-Chronikk

Hacker Of All Game Systems
Mythical Veteran Legendary Veteran Fabled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
I bought this laptop about 2 months ago. Its an Asus ROG Gaming laptop. Windows 10 the whole works. All the trial anti virus software just ended. Whats the best free software I can get from TPB or anywhere else to protect my laptop?
The AV that usually comes on the PC is poop and takes a lot of memory, i strictly use Malwarebytes.

afterjo

afterjo

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
eset32 antivirus versions. You can get multiple trial keys from various websites.

I use eset about 10 years and never had a problem with virus. It also protects you when you web browsing before downloading item, malicious websites, etc.. It's wonderful. And doesn't slow down your pc.

Doesn't have gimmicky interface and features.

theroach

theroach

Premium
Premium
Reaction score
Sin$
The AV that usually comes on the PC is poop and takes a lot of memory, i strictly use Malwarebytes.

The AV Windows 10 comes with is more than just poop, its complete garbage with poop on top. You cannot completely disable it though, and unless you are downloading sketch files AV is pointless. Just go without....

D

Deleted member 730411

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
On my last PC build, I used Avast (Free, but of course has premium features like all "free" antivirus does) and it worked well and I never had problems with any malware or viruses using just the basic version. The default Norton that Windows 10 ships with is total garbage, too many notifications and too much of a pain to workaround when downloading stuff.

NoBeefBoss

NoBeefBoss

Sports Fanatic
Legendary Veteran Grammar Nazi Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
On my last PC build, I used Avast (Free, but of course has premium features like all "free" antivirus does) and it worked well and I never had problems with any malware or viruses using just the basic version. The default Norton that Windows 10 ships with is total garbage, too many notifications and too much of a pain to workaround when downloading stuff.
Yeah I second this. I used this with my Mac but it is free, you just don't get all of the features. I actually really liked Avast because it was a really good anti-virus software for free.

Th3-Chronikk

Th3-Chronikk

Hacker Of All Game Systems
Mythical Veteran Legendary Veteran Fabled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Malwarebytes is not antivirus
I never said it was, I just have in my experience assessing software after an attack or virus seen that malware-bytes usually cleans up way more of current problems on the web. As long as you know what you're doing and watch what you're doing you won't have any problems. I've been in the game longer bud, that's just my opinion based off my experiences.

Wh1t3 x Sm0K3

Wh1t3 x Sm0K3

Banned
Reaction score
Sin$
I never said it was, I just have in my experience assessing software after an attack or virus seen that malware-bytes usually cleans up way more of current problems on the web. As long as you know what you're doing and watch what you're doing you won't have any problems. I've been in the game longer bud, that's just my opinion based off my experiences.
LOL you must not know who I am I'm just going to leave it at that

S

SamWillcox

Reaction score
Sin$
From my experience most of the current antivirus programs are ****, especially the free ones. Kaspersky is mediocre at best and so are eset32 and Commodo. Windows Defender itself got pretty powerful and does a pretty good job. On my gaming machine all i use is windows defender plus a browser like brave that allows me to disable scripts on all websites. (firefox and chrome support that as well with the help of add-ons i think). So whenever i go onto questionable website i use brave and stick to firefox for normal browsing.

Frank

Frank

se7en *clap* sins *clap* review
Retired
Sweet Sixteen! Pumpking Beginning of An Odyssey
Reaction score
Sin$
If you want a good one here you go, Bitdefender is one of the best I've ever come across:

This is a link to a 90-day trial for Bitdefender when it runs out just use another email:

http://geni.us/kwwydL

S

schitzotm

Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Ok, time to correct some wrongs here. Windows unless bought at discount ships with windows defender only. Any trial version of anything shipping with it is how the discount to the end user comes. This is how computers that come from walmart and bestbuy ship because they are discount computers. So to cheap the computer without cheaping the hardware they sell ad space in the operating system. This is why some will ship with amazon shopping app, norton, and various other trial software.

So first thing we do is remove all of this crap. (Should be done day 1)
Many antivirus softwares are a complete waste. Many (including kaspersky and bitdefender) will block certain parts of windows software updates along with holding it back from updating. This is solely to “show you” how much stuff they catch. (Usually stuff microsoft has rolled updates to render useless) So if they allow the computer to update then they will catch nothing and will be seen as useless software. (This is because they are useless)
So here is the best test: have a computer loaded with this garbage, delete it and shut the computer down and restart it. The computer will instantly tell you please wait as an update is occurring. (Dont do this right out of the box because most will get at least one update out of the box)
You will find you are at least one update behind windows current software. The reason is because in order to protect you against something that something has to be known. And if microsoft was the first to learn of it they will patch it. And if it is patched then why did I need the antivirus?
So they create the need by holding you back to a vulnerable update. The problem with this is sometimes there are multiple vulnerabilities within that werent even known to microsoft but fixing one bug fixed the other. This is what makes most antivirus software dangerous to a computer. Most people will never need shady software. So using defender will almost always be just fine. It comes with threat assessment and checks for malware and viruses.
This is all you need and it is free to all windows 10 users. It is also at the latest possible updates and microsoft pays people to look for vulns. So why wouldnt anyone just use defender? Also many antivirus programs will disable defender. (Mostly because defender is what prompts the update after assessment)

So for the OP go into control panel and find all of the trial av and remove them. Update windows and enable defender once it prompt you to. (Trust me once the bogus av is gone windows will tell you to enable defender)
Then while we are at it lets hit cntrl alt delete and open the task manager and lets hit processes. Look at any of the added bloatware to see how much it is using our resources.
Once we have those names lets open control panel again and lets get rid of the bloatware software. FYI acer builds their own quick access and it uses tons of resources. We can also get rid of this by simply downloading the correct windows from microsoft and using our existing product key. This is another way to get windows without the bloatware.

Every antivirus on the market is just as junk as the next. So just use the one built into windows and at least it is current with no fees.
You will find that many computers have much more power when all the garbage is removed.

Top Bottom
Login
Register