What's new

Solved Windows 8 running horrifically slow!

• Thread starter xXBeefyDjXx
  • Start date
  • Views 510
xXBeefyDjXx

xXBeefyDjXx

Long time Sinner
Administrator
Hidden Devils
MotM 10th Anniversary Mr. Nice Guy
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
I have a samsung laptop with an amd A6 APU, 2.7ghz i think, fast enough anyway to improve performance. I'm running 8GB ram with 7.6 usable because the system uses .4 as Vram.

It has windows 8 on as it is one of the newer ones with the bios ufei so it shows as windows 8 activated due to the key being there. (i hate windows 8 but want to keep this laptop as original as possible besides upgrades)

The headphones are not detected either. and i dont know how to take this thing apart to check the connectors. (not showing at all in the device manager :frown: )

Please help me. i dont want to use windows 7 but if i have any more problems i will go back to what i know works fine rather than this absolute cr@p!

Operating System
  1. Windows
Spider Man

Spider Man

Enthusiast
Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
I have a samsung laptop with an amd A6 APU, 2.7ghz i think, fast enough anyway to improve performance. I'm running 8GB ram with 7.6 usable because the system uses .4 as Vram.

It has windows 8 on as it is one of the newer ones with the bios ufei so it shows as windows 8 activated due to the key being there. (i hate windows 8 but want to keep this laptop as original as possible besides upgrades)

The headphones are not detected either. and i dont know how to take this thing apart to check the connectors. (not showing at all in the device manager :frown: )

Please help me. i dont want to use windows 7 but if i have any more problems i will go back to what i know works fine rather than this absolute cr@p!

you might have to look for drivers

xXBeefyDjXx

xXBeefyDjXx

Long time Sinner
Administrator
Hidden Devils
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
you might have to look for drivers
i have done so, drivers all up to date and fully installed, windows 8.1 with all the current updates. Its rediculous how it never fails to work on some setups but others its constant failure. windows 8 as a whole i believe is worse than vista for brick walls, and dead support.

Slime

Slime

Slimetologist
Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Sin$

You could try taking a multi meter to detect and see if the device is conducting electricity properly. If it is then the hardware side of it is is most likely fine as headphone jacks dont likely break easily.

If not then its 99% a driver issue even if you have drivers installed and up to date it could state that however still be the wrong driver set for the specific hardware peaice you have. I would recommened going into device manager and going into properties and go to the Hardware ID of the component that is not working. Get that Hardware ID and get the corresponding proper drivers for that Hardware ID versus what the box says is inside or vise versa. You may also find that using an outdated driver works.

I have also seen strange issues here in my workplace where Windows 8 does not like specific components but upgrading through the windows store to windows 8.1 fixes alot of issues.

xXBeefyDjXx

xXBeefyDjXx

Long time Sinner
Administrator
Hidden Devils
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
You could try taking a multi meter to detect and see if the device is conducting electricity properly. If it is then the hardware side of it is is most likely fine as headphone jacks dont likely break easily.

If not then its 99% a driver issue even if you have drivers installed and up to date it could state that however still be the wrong driver set for the specific hardware peaice you have. I would recommened going into device manager and going into properties and go to the Hardware ID of the component that is not working. Get that Hardware ID and get the corresponding proper drivers for that Hardware ID versus what the box says is inside or vise versa. You may also find that using an outdated driver works.

I have also seen strange issues here in my workplace where Windows 8 does not like specific components but upgrading through the windows store to windows 8.1 fixes alot of issues.
i have upgraded, and my multimeter is in the shed. i shall turf it out tomorrow once i have done some work. as to drivers? theres the sammy driver finder, i used that and nothing at all. its bugging me a lot now.

Slime

Slime

Slimetologist
Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Sin$
Hope not, just brought it second hand
Sorry to be late to reply. I would recommened creating a backup of your windows 8 so you can bring it back if you need. But install windows 7 and apply windows 7 drivers and see if it resolves the issue. I have seen in our office here that our W510 model of laptops work fine on Windows 7, terrible on Windows 8. W520 model of laptops work a bit better on Windows 8 but still crap due to driver support. Our W530, W540 and T440s models of laptops which came pre-installed with windows 8.1 pro work amazing. So I would give that a test.

xXBeefyDjXx

xXBeefyDjXx

Long time Sinner
Administrator
Hidden Devils
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Sorry to be late to reply. I would recommened creating a backup of your windows 8 so you can bring it back if you need. But install windows 7 and apply windows 7 drivers and see if it resolves the issue. I have seen in our office here that our W510 model of laptops work fine on Windows 7, terrible on Windows 8. W520 model of laptops work a bit better on Windows 8 but still crap due to driver support. Our W530, W540 and T440s models of laptops which came pre-installed with windows 8.1 pro work amazing. So I would give that a test.
Maybe thats why it was on 7 when o brought it :wink: 7 will always win me over to be honest, but "9" is in the works for windows 8 users for free (so they say) and to windows 7 users its $30. so ill hang in there to see what "9" is all about. if its worse than it is at the moment i will change it.

Top Bottom
Login
Register