[Windows 7] How to Remove the Send Feedback Link and Wallpaper Watermark

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by Ibdc, Jan 11, 2009 with 6 replies and 467 views.

1. Ibdc

Ibdc Retired Retired

Ratings:
    Removing the send feedback link and wallpaper watermark from the windows 7 beta.
    By Ibdc

Getting annoyed by accidentally clicking the send feedback link when you mean to minimize a window or you just think it looks ugly? Hate having that text in the bottom right corner of your desktop background? Then this tut is for you.

First things first download this:
    Code:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/182223365/Send_Feedback_and_Watemark_Removal.rar
    Extract it and open the folder.

Removing the Send Feedback Link

[​IMG]

Method 1: The Automatic Way

1. I made a little program that does this for you, it's in that RAR archive so just run it.
    2. If all went as planned all you have to do is restart and the send feedback link will be gone. If it didn't work your permissions are set wrong, so you must do it manually. (Method 2) Also you don't have to restart immediately, you can remove the watermark first too so you only have to do one restart.

Keep in mind you must have the [Click here to view the link] installed in order to run this. (also I'm pretty sure it won't work for any countries other than the US)

Method 2
    1. Start>Search Bar>Regedit.exe
    2. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
    3. Double Click FeedbackToolEnabled and change its value to 0
    If FeedbackToolEnabled doesn't exist create it and set it to 0
    4. Restart.

Removing the Desktop Watermark

[​IMG]

Method 1
    1. You're gonna need to run command prompt as administrator so Start>Run>CMD and press shift+ctrl+enter or right click it and hit run as administrator.
    2. Enter this into the command prompt window:
    takeown /f C:\Windows\System32\en-US\user32.dll.mui
    3. Type icacls C:\Windows\System32\en-US\user32.dll.mui /grant (insert your username here):F
    (obviously replace insert your username here with the username of your account, and don't put the parentheses)
    4. Open an explorer window and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\en-US and rename user32.dll.mui to user32.dll.mui.old (this keeps it as a backup in case something goes wrong)
    Click OK if the UAC decides to annoy you.
    5. Also in that RAR archive was the modified user32.dll.mui file.
    Drag and drop it right into C:\Windows\System32\en-US and click ok if the UAC says anything.
    6. Restart
    7. Enjoy not having the watermark and send feedback.

Method 2 (suggested by nickcas)
    [Click here to view the link]

Haven't tested it personally, but I'll take his word for it.

I might know of a third method. I'll be sure to test it out later and edit this post if it works.

Ok that about sums it up. Enjoy.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Haxalot88

Haxalot88 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    I just got windows 7 today for my new build. This really helps, thanks!

3. nickcas

nickcas Member

Ratings:
    I have a clean .exe for removing the watermark. Add this to the main post: [Click here to view the link]
    Just restart to see the changes.

4. OP
    Ibdc

Ibdc Retired Retired

Ratings:
    I made the watermark remover that I put in there. It's clean, and it works so I don't need that.

5. nickcas

nickcas Member

Ratings:
    Oh haha my fault, when you showed the method for removing the watermark I didn't realize your program did both of them. Good job.

6. OP
    Ibdc

Ibdc Retired Retired

Ratings:
    Oh wait sorry I was out of it, my program only gets rid of send feedback. I'm half asleep right now. That's my bad. I'll add that to my post then

7. nickcas

nickcas Member

Ratings: