What's new

Discussion Windows 7 32 or 64?

C

Carbon

Reaction score
Sin$
Whats the difference between windows 7 32 bit and 64? Should i upgrade my 32 bit to the 64 bit i have the cd i didnt know if it would help on gaming tho?

Operating System
  1. Windows
Haxalot88

Haxalot88

VIP
VIP
Reaction score
Sin$
64-bit allows your system to utilize more memory. If you have more than 3.5gb of memory in your system, you need 64-bit to use it all. Otherwise it's useless.

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Mythical Veteran Legendary Veteran Fabled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Unless you have over 3.5gigs of ram you probably wont notice much improvement on 64bit but I can't recommend 32bit it has no advantages over 64.

64bit advantages are

Runs x86 and x64 apps
Runs faster
Utilizes CPU better
Less viruses

Disadvantages
128gigs of ram max

x86/32bit advantages
none
Disadvantages
Only 3.5gigs of ram max

You would save all your files in the windows.old file if you install 64bit clean over 32bit but its still a hassle of reinstalling drivers and crap.

Its up to you if you wanna waste a day to update I have been using windows 7 64bit since build 6800ish (pre rc)

D

discgolfer72

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
i did just find one reason not to go 32 bit

i just had to go purchase a copy of win 7(pro ) for my rents pc
and since they use some older apps that do not support 64 bit(aka my dads vpn client for his work wich even has to be run in xp vitural pc ) i decided to go that route(they have been running 64 beta )

after doing a fresh install of the 32 bit i found that for some reason their built in adi soundmax sound would not pick up drivers (where as before it worked perfct with the 64 bit beta it would pick up the proper drivers on update )

(they have a store bought lenovo i upgraded with a am2 x2 athlon 5200 black ed and bumped them to 2 gigs of ram )

i searched and searchd and tried 10 diffrent driver packs with no avail still no sound

i went ahead and did a new install again using my 64 bit ultmate signature ed (man i loved getting my free party pack lol)
and bamm it picked up the drivers using the update

it seems that windows update has a smaller database of older drivers for their 32 bit compared to the 64 bit

wich i found pretty odd

brettfavre67

brettfavre67

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
it depends on of your computer can handle it

x86 works on x64 and x86 processor types.
x64 only on x64 CPU's

The 64-bit support and the advantages/disadvantage they offer:

Advantages x64:
* 64Bit OS can handle larger amounts of information than a 32Bit system.
* More working memory (over 4GB)
* When you run many programs simultaneously.
* If you are using newest hardware.

Advantages x32:
* You have many older software whitout 64bit(Windows 7 x64) suport.
* If you are using older hardware.

Win 7 System requirements 64-bit (x64)
CPU mit 1 GHz
20 GByte Disk
2 GByte RAM
DirectX-9-Graphics

Win 7 System requirements 32-bit (x86)
CPU mit 1 GHz
16 GByte Disk
1 GByte RAM
DirectX-9-Graphics

Casualtyy

Casualtyy

Getting There
Experienced Veteran 10th Anniversary Jokester
Reaction score
Sin$
If you have Windows 7 I would suggest an 86-bit. It's basically a 32-bit and 64-bit system combined. Most computers that comes with Windows-7 are 86-bit computers.

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
x64 is 64 bit and x86 is 32 bit

If you have Windows 7 I would suggest an 86-bit. It's basically a 32-bit and 64-bit system combined. Most computers that comes with Windows-7 are 86-bit computers.

All modern CPU's are 64bit

You got that backwards x64 loads nearly all 32bit apps but 32bit OS can't run 64.

Mr Clarke

Mr Clarke

A+ Certified Computer Technician
Grammar Nazi Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Sin$

Oh no you didn't. lol
I'm not going to flame you for ignorance, but instead inform you. (most people flame for some reason)
x86 is an architecture for a 32 bit processor.
x64 is an architecture for a 64 bit processor.

32 bit and 64 bit are the only two mainstream processors on the market today. (excluding older ones)

About 2 years ago one of the biggest disadvantages of 64 bit processors was the lack of support for them.
But these days I can't really see any disadvantages at all. 64 bit is modern and almost all future development of chardware and software will be based around this technology.

And for the record you can only upgrade to a 64 bit version of windows OS if you have a proc capable of 64 bit operations. (64 bit cpu)

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
And for the record you can only upgrade to a 64 bit version of windows OS if you have a proc capable of 64 bit operations. (64 bit cpu)

Which is 99.997% of CPU's made in the past 10 years lol

Mr Clarke

Mr Clarke

Reaction score
Sin$
Which is 99.997% of CPU's made in the past 10 years lol

Wrong.
Mainstream 64 bit processors weren't released until 2003.
Windows did not release a 64 bit OS until 2005, and even then the lack of support was laughable.
Between 2007-NOW is when they started to catch on and you saw them in retail stores.
Up until very recently you saw more 32 bit retail computers sold than 64, but now it is debatable that more 64 bit comps are sold.
wink.gif

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
Wrong.
Mainstream 64 bit processors weren't released until 2003.
Windows did not release a 64 bit OS until 2005, and even then the lack of support was laughable.
Between 2007-NOW is when they started to catch on and you saw them in retail stores.
Up until very recently you saw more 32 bit retail computers sold than 64, but now it is debatable that more 64 bit comps are sold.
wink.gif

That was an exaggeration.

Mr Clarke

Mr Clarke

Reaction score
Sin$
Oic
Here I thought you were trying to rebuttal me.

Top Bottom
Login
Register