What's new

Discussion Windows 10 cracking down on piracy

J

Jedi

That Star Wars Guy
Reaction score
Sin$
So I recently read that with Windows 10, part of their security features includes the OS automatically detecting if you are running pirated games, but only games that are associated with Microsoft. The games are then deactivated and rendered useless.

I haven't ran any pirated games on this OS yet, but every 5 minutes UTorrent closes out and stops downloading whatever I am doing. I don't know if anyone else has had this problem but it is becoming an annoyance.

Operating System
  1. Windows
Wispa

Wispa

°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø
Donator 10th Anniversary
Reaction score
Sin$
I personally use transmission to torrent on windows 10 and I have had no problems with it closing down and stopping downloads.
I have also played many different call of duty that was torrented on windows 10 with no problems. I'm not sure if these are associated with Microsoft?
It does however sound like the operating system could be closing uTorrent so maybe this feature has been implemented?.

Last edited:
Bear

Bear

Fabled Veteran Mr. Nice Guy 10th Anniversary
Reaction score
Sin$
Did you try reinstalling uTorrent or troubleshooting it?

If you can't get it working, try Deluge.

Tom Joad

Tom Joad

White Whale, Holy Grail
Grammar Nazi Experienced Veteran Chatty Kathy
Reaction score
Sin$
No problems with Utorrent so far.

I did have a bootleg copy of Office from Win 7. My wife tried to use PowerPoint while I was at work, and sure enough, a pop-up appeared stating that the license could not be validated. Not sure if using a Windows toolkit since the upgrade would've solved the issue or not. Either way, I removed it from my system.

There's also talk that all of this is being blown out of proportion, as discussed here.

I'd like to think that Microsoft is only concerned with their own licensed products, but it's really hard to say.

Last edited:
S

Scarlett Johansson

(⌐■_■)
Reaction score
Sin$
I use deluge and it works perfectly, you shouldn't use uTorrent, they can't be trusted.

_Kira_

_Kira_

Contributor
Reaction score
Sin$
This is a huge turn off for me. I hardly pirate games but I pirate movies alllll the time. If win 10 gets in the way or anything I'm bumping back down to 7.

Cakes

Cakes

お前はもう死んでいる
VIP
Retired
Mythical Veteran Platinum Record End of the Year 2017
Reaction score
Sin$
Deluge hasn't shown any issues for me. I didn't bother to use uTorrent.

J

Jedi

That Star Wars Guy
Reaction score
Sin$
I think everyone was right. After restarting my computer, Utorrent seemed to be the issue.

TheRedishFire

TheRedishFire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I pirated Microsoft office on windows 10 been using it since the release of win10 have not has any problems

Tabuu

Tabuu

VIP
VIP
MotM Bright Idea 10th Anniversary
Reaction score
Sin$
I pirated Microsoft office on windows 10 been using it since the release of win10 have not has any problems
It's not that. The system in question here looks for items with a certain type of encryption on them, namely items form the Windows Store. If you haven't pirated anything from the Windows Store (which I don't know who would, most of the stuff on there is crap anyway), then it will flag you and automatically remove the software.

TheRedishFire

TheRedishFire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
It's not that. The system in question here looks for items with a certain type of encryption on them, namely items form the Windows Store. If you haven't pirated anything from the Windows Store (which I don't know who would, most of the stuff on there is crap anyway), then it will flag you and automatically remove the software.
Yeah this does not matter to me there is nothing in the windows store I want

Amnesys

Amnesys

Praise Cheesus
Reaction score
Sin$
I got legit windows 10 update when I was running a pirated version of windows 7

EG x ScooBy_Doo

EG x ScooBy_Doo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I haven't a problem with it downloaded movies , TV episodes, and cod 5 all pirated

stepto

stepto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I got legit windows 10 update when I was running a pirated version of windows 7
Actually, your copy of W10 is still a pirated version.
I haven't a problem with it downloaded movies , TV episodes, and cod 5 all pirated
Did you read the OP? He said pirated games that are directly associated with Microsoft; I.E. Office, Visual studio, etc.

EG x ScooBy_Doo

EG x ScooBy_Doo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Actually, your copy of W10 is still a pirated version.

Did you read the OP? He said pirated games that are directly associated with Microsoft; I.E. Office, Visual studio, etc.
Yeah and i Microsoft visual studios and c4d and a bunch of other pirated programs link with mircrosoft and other major company's

Top Bottom
Login
Register