What's new

Discussion Windows 10 Anti-Spy

Tentative

Tentative

Enforcer of Ouroboros
Reaction score
Sin$
What is this Article about?
This Article exists to help people who use a Microsoft OS and want to have more privacy. I created it because I hate the pure lack of privacy nowadays. With the new Windows 10 around and a number of KB updates for its predecessors Microsoft tries to get as much information of what you are doing as possible. (E.g. Which programs you run how long, if you possibly run pirated Microsoft Software, etc.)

Why would you need this?
Most people already are convinced that it doesn't matter anymore: After all Facebook, Apple and many others already do this for a long time.
My answer to this would be yes and no. While it is true that our privacy is a frickle thing at best, it doesn't mean we should be relaxed about it.

Does this only make sense on Windows 10?
No. In an article I read, it stated that most of the Windows 7/8 Operating Systems started doing the same after being updated. If you want to know if you are one of the affected ones, you should read the update log and see if there is/are 1-4 KB Updates which start with 306, 302, 307 and 308.
Here is the article I read. KB means Knowledge Base, in case you want to know.

What can you do against it?
So I browsed around to web to find a solution to this Problem and stumbled upon the so called DoNotSpy10. It is basically a program which allows you to easily disable many questionable functions.
Depending on the Colours of the 'Tweaks' the program tells you which risk disabling it bears. (Green = Low Risk, Yellow = Moderate Risk, Red = High Risk)
DoNotSpy10-English1.jpg

Does this program bear any risks when using it?
You can disable things which could stop certain programs from working properly, but if you read through the Tweaks prior to disabling them, you should be fine.
DoNotSpy10 actually prompts you to make a security backup when installing it, which I would strongly recommend you do.
If you do as I said, you are on the safe side, and even if something goes wrong, you can restore your PC.

A word from the Author
In case this has already been posted before, I sincerely apologize. I didn't find any article containing this, but I didnt read through everything in this subforum.
If you have any suggestions how I should change this article or just have questions, feel free to leave a comment or pm me.
In case there are any typos, feel free to tell me as well. English isn't my first language, so I might make a few mistakes.
~Crowley

Operating System
  1. Windows
Red58

Red58

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Pretty cool, though I thought a lot of the features could be disabled manually without the use of any software (correct me if I'm wrong). I didn't bother messing with any settings personally since this is my gaming computer and thus I only use it for steam, school, and here.

Cakes

Cakes

お前はもう死んでいる
VIP
Retired
Mythical Veteran Platinum Record End of the Year 2017
Reaction score
Sin$
Pretty cool, though I thought a lot of the features could be disabled manually without the use of any software (correct me if I'm wrong). I didn't bother messing with any settings personally since this is my gaming computer and thus I only use it for steam, school, and here.
Essentially, yes, they can. However, if you get fancy with your Registry, you can disable a lot more.

Tentative

Tentative

Enforcer of Ouroboros
Reaction score
Sin$

It is true that you can do most of that in the standard options, but the program helps you to do so way more specificely.
The main reason I created this article is to make more people aware of the issue though. I also thought that if you don't know your way around the computer too well, it would be also easier to just use this program than to navigate through countless menus.
If you think that this article is useless, I will request to shut it down so the forum isn't spammed with pointless articles.

Red58

Red58

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
It is true that you can do most of that in the standard options, but the program helps you to do so way more specificely.
The main reason I created this article is to make more people aware of the issue though. I also thought that if you don't know your way around the computer too well, it would be also easier to just use this program than to navigate through countless menus.
If you think that this article is useless, I will request to shut it down so the forum isn't spammed with pointless articles.
Oh no I didn't mean it was useless, I was just wondering and figured I would go ahead and post in case someone else was also wondering.

Top Bottom
Login
Register