• Start date
  • Views 681
Holy Jesus

Holy Jesus

Drunk MOTY 2011-14
Contest Sponsor Grammar Nazi Platinum Record
Reaction score
Sin$
I've got this cheap USB wifi dongle that I bought for my Raspberry PI that had no problem working on Windows 7, Ubuntu and even Xbian. It does not work with Windows 8. I can't even find drivers for it on the internet so I'm limited to the disc it came with.

I'm prepared to spend some money on either a USB or PCI-E network adaptor but I don't know what ones will work because apparently it's limited to quite a few.

Does anyone use a Wifi adaptor with windows 8?

Holy Jesus

Holy Jesus

Drunk MOTY 2011-14
Reaction score
Sin$
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Chazay

Chazay

Android
Retired
Nevar gon' happen in your lifetime Donator Legendary Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks, I didn't even know this technology existed. I'll have a look into it.
It is really amazing. I get "full bars" in my room which is on the way other side of the house where our modem is. Nothing gets internet connection in my part of the house but my PC :tongue:

NO GOD

NO GOD

Only Me
Seasoned Veteran Grizzled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Chazay

Chazay

Android
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
How does this work? Would it work in a rural home that only has satellite Internet coming in? No telephone or cables lines.
It comes with 2 little box things. "A" Box plugs into the wall(not into a power strip) near your modem with a Ethernet cable connected in between."B" Box goes into the wall(not into a power strip) near your PC, with a Ethernet cable in between. It comes with instructions that you must follow to a T. The two boxes send a signal between each other. You will get the fastest internet you pay for. :tongue:.

Holy Jesus

Holy Jesus

Drunk MOTY 2011-14
Reaction score
Sin$
It comes with 2 little box things. "A" Box plugs into the wall(not into a power strip) near your modem with a Ethernet cable connected in between."B" Box goes into the wall(not into a power strip) near your PC, with a Ethernet cable in between. It comes with instructions that you must follow to a T. The two boxes send a signal between each other. You will get the fastest internet you pay for. :tongue:.
On your computer does it show up as an Ethernet connection?

I managed to get the cheap wifi adapter working with a generic realtek driver, but it's slower than arse which could be because a.) I'm too far away b.) The big steel box that is a computer is blocking signal or c.) the adapter is ****. I'm probably going to pick up one of these things on Thurday but I don't know if it has to be one that's compatible with W8 or if they all are.

NO GOD

NO GOD

Only Me
Seasoned Veteran Grizzled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Oh I see so Box A takes the signal from the modem and sends it to Box B to connect to your pc. The description makes it sound like it sends the signal through the electrical wiring : "Up to 300 meter range over a home's electrical circuit for better performance through walls or across floors" is this true?

Holy Jesus

Holy Jesus

Drunk MOTY 2011-14
Reaction score
Sin$
Oh I see so Box A takes the signal from the modem and sends it to Box B to connect to your pc. The description makes it sound like it sends the signal through the electrical wiring : "Up to 300 meter range over a home's electrical circuit for better performance through walls or across floors" is this true?
It does send the signal through the electrical circuit. I don't know exactly how but it does.

Chazay

Chazay

Android
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
I guess :shy:. They make you plug the box in the wall, not in a power strip, it will not work in a power strip.

Holy Jesus

Holy Jesus

Drunk MOTY 2011-14
Reaction score
Sin$
3247559519.png

Fastest connection I've had other than when I used an ethernet cable during initial setup. Definitely going to look into ethernet over power or maybe a PCI-E card. I just don't want to get ****ed around with drivers again.

3247604406.png

Whereas my windows 7 laptop in the same area gets that. Definitely something wrong with either the OS, driver, or the adaptor.

Last edited:
Chazay

Chazay

Android
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
3247559519.png

Fastest connection I've had other than when I used an ethernet cable during initial setup. Definitely going to look into ethernet over power or maybe a PCI-E card. I just don't want to get ****ed around with drivers again.

3247604406.png

Whereas my windows 7 laptop in the same area gets that. Definitely something wrong with either the OS, driver, or the adaptor.
3249183199.png

Im either being throttles by my ISP or its starting to get into peak hours right now.

Top Bottom
Login
Register