What's new

Why the HELL did I get a virus from downloading Gear Calculator?

Z

Zexis

Reaction score
Sin$
I'm currently if safe mode. Why? I was reading something of wolf-what's-his-face and saw a link to the download of the desktop version of Gear Calculator. I went on MegaUploads and began downloading, because I love Borderlands and thought that a desktop version of GC would be pretty darn cool.

So, as I'm later using the application, can you guess what happens? BAM! Biggest virus attack I've ever suffered on my copmputer. What the hell? Trojans, rootkits, rogue anti-malware...and it didn't stop. I used rkill to stop the processes and Malwarebytes to take out what I could, BUT IT ALL JUST KEPT COMING BACK.

The extent of the damage is unknown. I still have plenty to repair. For example, none of my internet browsers work outside of Safe Mode. Safe Mode was, for some time, not even available to me. However, while I really DO need help figuring out whether or not I can salvage my system, my real reason for coming here is to figure out WHY IN THE HELL I was nailed with so much crap in the first place? Was it the GC, or MegaUploads? Either way, SOMETHING isn't safe; my computer can testify to that.

I know that this thread will probably be locked/moved, and that's okay. But I really need help or, at the very least, an explanation. Or hypothesis. Or SOMETHING. Because I don't see why my love for Borderlands should force me to whipe my system (if it comes to that).

Gibs

Gibs

Getting There
Experienced Veteran Grizzled Veteran Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Just do a system restore. Why don't you have a premium anti virus?

Flying Taco

Flying Taco

Contributor
Mr. Nice Guy Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
If you downloaded something, and then got virus attacked. It is that thing that caused the attack. Delete it, virus scan, and repeat until your computer is squeaky clean. If that doesnt work, restore it. Easiest way to solve it there is.

You probably hit by a file much like the "1000Viruses.exe" file. Probably just with a calc binded to it. Delete it and move on and dont download it again lolz...

Z

Zexis

Reaction score
Sin$
I don't mean to come off as a techie noob, but, well, I am.

When I system restore, will I be able to choose how far back I want to go? (I've never needed to do it before) The trouble with just scanning for viruses is that that doesn't completely fix my hijacked browsers and other things, such as disabled viewing of the Current Version subfolder in the registry.

And thank you for your fast responses.

w0lfschild

w0lfschild

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
1st ? Hopefully I'm not the wolf-what's-his-face your taking about because I don't use the desktop gear calc.

2nd You should probably virus scan anything off of a DL site before you open it, unless it is not something you run or you know the link is trusted.

3rd Are you sure you weren't doing anything else then using gearcalc?

4th I'm sorry but this seems like something you are gonna have to deal with yourself, you could post what you downloaded so others can avoid it though.

Z

zl7

Reaction score
Sin$
Well I know that I am not yet a trusted member, BUT this is a scanner that works for downloaded or URL files:
http://www.virustotal.com/
I use it for basically anything, FOR your computer I feel that the two best anti-virus programs are aVast anti or Eset smart/nod32

M

ModderSlodder

Reaction score
Sin$
Well I know that I am not yet a trusted member, BUT this is a scanner that works for downloaded or URL files:
http://www.virustotal.com/
I use it for basically anything, FOR your computer I feel that the two best anti-virus programs are aVast anti or Eset smart/nod32

Oh good, I have Avast! and was wondering if it was good or not. So far I've heard it was really good. :biggrin:

Top Bottom
Login
Register