Why Lone Wolves Boostind doesnt seem to work? Theory

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Boosting and Matches' started by Salesman01, Feb 1, 2009 with 5 replies and 388 views.

1. Salesman01

Salesman01 Newbie

Ratings:
    I have seen how many people in this thread have stated how lonewolves boosting doesn't work. Why is that, i ask. If you have an answer, want to correct me, or have a different idea, please feel free to post. PLEASE RESPOND

I have gone through threads of people saying lonewolves boosting doesn't work. I generally agreed, taking in fact it is impossible to boost anymore. Well, I journey over to my friends house. I walk in and he is doing a language trick with my other friend and a group of randoms. Well, they are in the pregame lobby. I think they wont go up, chuckling at their idioticness. The postgame leaves me confused.
    [Click here to view the link] started out with my first friend at 45 and my other friend at 40. It ends with levels 45 and 41. I was confused why. Oh, and before you say, "it says he is a 40,", it doesn't show it until the next game, [Click here to view the link] (He wouldn't go up getting 8th place).
    I wold suggest skimming this before [Click here to view the link].
    You may wonder what this means. That means it takes into account everyone elses Mu and Sigma. If you didn't catch the meanings...

Mu is an approximation of your skill level based upon past performance. Win games to raise Mu, and lose games to lower Mu.

Sigma is the numerical representation of the range in which your true skill could lie. Play really consistently, and you have a low Sigma. Play streakily, and you have a higher Sigma.

Still didn't catch it? Here is an example. Lets say I boost on my account, which is a 46, and i boost with all 40 and 41's. Well, we all tie for 1st. Everyone elses skill has a possibility to go up, while I might go down. Why? Here...

After a win, the Trueskill system adjusts your skill ranking based upon the Mu and Sigma of all the players in the game.

So my Mu is adjusted to everyone elses, 40 and 41's. I might go down. Everyone else is adjusted to each other. They might go up, for they tied with a 46.

A possible solution, but it may require someone to test. Have the highest person get 1st and everyone else, if they are same, tie. So, in my idea, It is best to boost with a group of similar level.

I may edit this later to make sure this is all right. At the moment, I am slightly tired from typing all of that.

Feel free to comment, test, correct me, or offer other explanations.

2. Crazy Brit

Crazy Brit Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I think what you're saying is exactly true, when I used to boost in LW I'd play with 40-45 when I was a 37 now when they won none of them would level up, but when I won I leveled up so I'm guessing you need to beat people a higher rank than you to level up.

3. FOX no johns

FOX no johns Getting There

Ratings:
    Maybe it doesn't work because everyone places, meaning they get xp. Maybe it would work if not everyone was in the top half.

4. OP
    Salesman01

Salesman01 Newbie

Ratings:
    Yea, FOX, I think your right. It actually would probably help those trying to get up. Maybe if you boosted with fifties and you beat them all, you would just skyrocket.

5. classy blackman

classy blackman Getting There

Ratings:
    i had a friend who was a 45 and we were all 40s and he lost his 45 it was kinda funny lol

6. Itz Beasted

Itz Beasted Newbie

Ratings:
    Say, if you're a 35 and you play with 40s and you win, its harder for you according to the TruSkill to win, so you rank up faster or more. (2 at a time) boosting in LW is pointless unless you have 6 other 40+ and 1 under 40 that you're boosting:mellow: