Why glitch? (not a flame thread)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Game Modding' started by BlahBlahBlahBlah, Jan 21, 2009 with 31 replies and 771 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlahBlahBlahBlah

BlahBlahBlahBlah Newbie

Ratings:
    Ok, I don't glitch and personally I abhor the people who do so ONLINE, offline I could give a crap what you do with YOUR game that doesn't affect other people. I'm curious about the psychology of people who do cheat though.

This is a legit(hah get it?) discussion and I'm not trying to start any problems I'm just curious as to what satisfaction you get out of ruining peoples enjoyment of a game they are trying to play?

More often than not the only reason people ever give me is 'its fun' but thats NOT a reason thats the outcome. What is it that makes it 'fun' is the reason.

I applaud your experimentation and ability to find these glitches, that takes skill and effort. :thumbup: However the use (and abuse) of these glitches, especially by those who DIDN'T find them and instead just looked them up takes little to no skill, and definatly takes NO effort (I love it when I find someone trying to get off a KFF and I can chainsaw them, or when someone trys to smoke their way into the Security rooms and falls short)

Anyways, enough ranting. Please tell me why you glitch in online matches and destroy any semblence of the spirit of competition.

2. Coletrain17

Coletrain17 Contributor

Ratings:
    Cause cheating is fun as hell

3. yamahadude

yamahadude Newbie

Ratings:
    Yes indeed.. To hear all the ppl b***h. Really excites me..LOL

• Like Like x 1
  4. HardBall

HardBall Newbie

Ratings:
    Why post on a cheating website, you obviously must like it to some degree. Besides whats the point of going in a game without host, the game is/was so bad off host it was pointless to play. Now that the TU came out host shotty is not as great as it was. This game is so laggy if im going to play legit i make sure i bridge host, this game was made to cheat otherwise you would just be bashing your head off a wall when your shotgun does not fire for 5 seconds. You actually have to lead your Shots off host, when your host its all over. Put it this way Host is so smooth you just sit back and enjoy it and realize all or the other people are suffering and your in heaven. Its like playing system link or local, once you play host you never want to play off host again. Its like dat son:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  5. B-rad

B-rad Press On

Ratings:
    Hit the nail on the head.

• Like Like x 1
  6. OP
    BlahBlahBlahBlah

BlahBlahBlahBlah Newbie

Ratings:
    I don't like cheating, I don't do ANY cheats (I don't even plant the shields backwards on horde mode, which doesn't work anymore anyway). I can understand the want to play on Host (I tear **** up getting upwards of a 10x K/D in territories when I'm host), and TBH if your connection is smooth and you don't use a lag switch to make everyone elses game horrible I don't really care if you bridge to get host. If you are bridging to get host just to be able to lag switch and cheat then yes that pisses me off. I posted on a cheating site cause its the best place to find out the psychology of the cheater. If you are a psychologist you don't interview other psychologists to find out abour criminals, you interview the criminal.

@Coletrain17, you failed to answer my question, WHY is it fun, what part of cheating is fun?

@yahmahadude and B-rad, so basically the reason you enjoy cheating is not so much the act of cheating itself, but rather the fact other people are NOT enjoying themselves? Almost like an apathy for strangers? Let me ask you this, do you glitch when playing against friends who don't glitch or can't? Or do you play legitimatly?

What about rank boosting? You don't get the chance to really hear much of the people getting irritated because you quit and closed the game (I'm sure at least a few messages recieved but not often do people know who the host is at all) So whats the enjoyment in that?

Your thoughts are appreciated, and once again I'm not trying to start any flame wars so please keep it relatively civil.

7. yamahadude

yamahadude Newbie

Ratings:
    Yes i glitch all the time. These games are made so bad that there are tons of glitches to do and its fun. N usually i will teach the person the glitch if they wanna know how to do it. N bridging host n lag switchin...lol...That s**t is 2 funny. To hear all the people cry cuz their gunna lose. Just makes my day!!!!

O..n by the way..If u DONT like it DONT play the game!

8. B-rad

B-rad Press On

Ratings:
    I'm a legit player and I'm a cheater. I seperate the two. Sort of like the old saying "never mix business with pleasure". Obtaining a legit rank is my business, hearing players whine while they spend the entire game walking into a wall is my pleasure.

There are only two types of cheaters. The difference between some cheaters and I, is why they cheat. When cheating turns into their business, that's where we differ. When they spend countless nights lagging people to obtain a pointless rank, that's where we differ.

Hope that gave you a little insight. :cool:

There's no need to get testy. He showed you respect, show him some. Everyone has their opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  9. OP
    BlahBlahBlahBlah

BlahBlahBlahBlah Newbie

Ratings:
    Thanks for that last part.

As for earlier in the post, forgive my confusion but you said 'obtaining a legit rank' do you mean that you have one account where you glitch and use the lag switch to listen to whiners and another where you play legit and try and rank up? I mean you really can't say your rank is 'legit' if you lag switched any time while using the account that rank is on (not that the 'rank' system in this game has any bearing as anyone Glitcher or Not that has half a brain understands that the 'Failskill' ranking system is broken and doesn't reflect Truth or Skill).

I have gained some insight into why you do it and what makes a cheater.. well, cheat. Lots of players enjoy listening to people complain about losing after a game, I myself do (sometimes, depends on my mood). However where that road diverges is in 2 ways.

1. I like listening to the excuses people come up with as to WHY they lost (like the time someone called me a chainsaw whore... while I had hammerburst as my default weapon)

2. I enjoy the whining for an entirely different reason, I like it because I know that no matter what THEY say, ultimately they lost due to simply the fact that I outplayed them. No matter what they say, unless I had the host, I won because I was better.

----

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it isn't so much what they said, or why they said it, that causes your enjoyment. Its more about the frustration the person is having, and the fact you are able to cause said frustration. Almost like a God complex, where you derive pleasure from control. When it comes down to it, you could get alot (maybe not all) of the same satifaction simply by becoming good enough at the game to completely destroy the other team, as well as playing with other players of whom do the same thing.

I used to play with these 3 other players, and we'd completely stamp out other players (45+ legit win streak in territories, out of 100+ games we lost 8-9) One of the main reasons we won so much though was because we would play SO well and communicate and invariably a few players from the opposing team would quit (sometimes before the first round was even over). Although I kind of wish the other players WOULDN'T quit (more kills for me if nothing else) it certainly was fun knowing I was responsible for those players becoming frustrated enough to quit.

@yamahadude, sounds like you took something from what I wrote and got severely irritated by it, I apologize. However, in my honest opinion: saying you glitch, because there are glitches is a very poor reason, to the point not a reason at all. Would you light someone on fire just because you had a lighter? I doubt it, but its the same kind of logic.

Please keep the comments coming, I am enjoying this conversation that I would not be able to actually have if I had met you in a game (as you would be gloating, and I would be pissed off so niether of us would be able to have any sort of intelligent conversation)

10. B-rad

B-rad Press On

Ratings:
    Exactly what I meant by seperating business from pleasure. At the moment, I only have a legit account because I've grown out of cheating somewhat. I still host boot (send someone offline.. i.e. attack router) in custom games when I encounter a douche that deserves it, but at the times where I am bridging, boosting, or whatever it is I'm doing, I have a seperate account. Your right on the fact that I couldn't call that account legit if I ever cheated on it.

That's exactly what it is. That's also exactly why people hack security systems, websites.. etc.

Were more considered "hackers" rather then "cheaters" if you ask me.

But see your assuming that a cheater is a cheater and a gamer is a gamer. Why can't someone be both?

Whether in a forum, on xbox live, or in person, if you approached me in a mature manner like you started out your post, I would react the exact same way.

Also, I'm curious to what gaming company you work for? You seem very literate like me and obviously putting a lot of emphasis on finding out why someone cheats in these games. Not many people would care enough to post continous paragraphs (you could call them articles), if they weren't collecting information for a research team of some sort.

Or hell, you could just be some guy who just wants to know the reason to why he can hardly play a clean match anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Twis7eD

Twis7eD Banned

Ratings:
    Pretty much every reason that everyone else posted plus the fact that some people become bored with normal gameplay and try to make it more exciting. They want to find new glitches, exploits, and other things to do in the game. Its fun for them and me :smile:.

12. PURPL3 H4ZE

PURPL3 H4ZE Getting There

Ratings:
    the main reason i started to cheat(lag switch) on gow2 is because there was so many people doing it,virtually every game i joined there was some one/group doing exploits or lag switching this added with the lag i thought i may aswell join them an get abit of enjoyment back from the game.
    if epic had made this game with dedicated servers then the mess thats online at the moment probably wouldnt have happened to scale its at now.

CANT BEAT THEM JOIN EM:thumbup:

13. Nubble

Nubble Seasoned Member

Ratings:
    Everyone has their own reasons, but I'm fairly certain that most people do it because they can, and because if they don't do it, it will happen to them. I know that is the case for me at least. I'm also fairly certain that you aren't going to change people's minds on whether or not they are going to cheat...

14. Aich

Aich Banned

Ratings:

Agress with Nubble, if I dont bridge for host, then the other guy(8 out of 10) is lagging the game. Although how can I get mad at the person when I do the same thing. So it coms down to, when i try to play legit and some dumb game mechanic messes up or I clearly got the shot off first, but didnt register, I am prone to be liek screw it and throw my firewall or switch. I have my star so I try and play legit on ym other acct's but since the TU, all the games I have been in are even worse.

So I bridge, I lag because, the online is screwed, and if you want to enjoy multiplayer online, start a private game.

15. OP
    BlahBlahBlahBlah

BlahBlahBlahBlah Newbie

Ratings:
    That actually brings up an interesting point, I'm sure many of you who are computer literate know that 'hackers' are broken up into different catagories(can't spell its 3am, sorry) You have 'White' hats and 'Black' hats (and to the less extent 'gray' hats). For those of you whom don't know the difference I will outline the basic principles.

A 'White' hat, as a person who breaks security systems, or gains un-approved access to information they do not have permission to view or take. Typically though that is the extent of a white hats "attack" on a network or website, they will not sabotage the site, they wont plant a virus/trojan (other than the one they may have used to get access to said network). Often times the whitehat will actually contact the person or organization whom they have hacked to inform them of the security hole and tell them suggestions on how to fix it. They wont take any sensitive information (credit card numbers / early build software / account information). They are not trying to gain anything other than experience and general gloating abilities from hacking networks. (sometimes whitehats are even hired by companies to test their security for them)

A 'Black' hat however, is a malicious hacker, a person whos sole purpose in hacking is to steal, impede or mearly grief people. They are the ones who write Worms, steal your World of Warcraft accounts, set up Bot networks to preform DNS attacks on websites, or other forms of 'electronic terrorism (editor: not my term, it is an actually used term for griefing through hacking).

Now the same idea could be used when refering to 'glitchers'. No offense to you B-rad, you fancy yourself a 'hacker' rather than a 'cheater' but if you are using these hacks in a way to net yourself personal gain (E.G. more kills, game advantage, ect.) this would put you in the 'blackhat' catagory by definition. However its very easy to fall into the 'blackhat' catagory when it comes to this kind of hacking, as the initial premise is for gaining an advantage over another player for the most part (Just look at the number of multiplayer glitch tutorials vs single player glitch tutorials)

Even posting a tutorial for how to recreate these glitches, without actually using them in matches, is 'gray' hat area.

I digress though, as I am getting fairly "preachy" about all this. So on to another subject. (By the way I am not trying to get any of you to STOP glitching, I'd like to think I could but I know I could not. I am mearly engaging in conversation regarding two sides of the subject matter)

To answer your question B-rad, I don't work for any company, I have done beta testing for a few proffesional level quality MODs for video games (Threewave CTF for Quake III Arena being the last one I worked on so its been a few years) Ironically this job entailed looking for glitches and bugs, and finding out how to reproduce them consistantly :tongue:

@Purplehaze and Nubble

The 'first strike' logic has been a common reason for doing just about any action since the dawn of time. It is definatly not the most thought out or the most mature reason, but it is definatly commonly used. Think about this in a fairly normal day society setting:

You are seated in a bar drinking, a couple of surly guys heads up to the bar and sits down. After a few drinks one of the guys turns to you and says something vaguely threatening, and definatly rude. This is where the road of options branches into different actions/reactions/outcomes.

You could punch him right then and there, which would more than likely lead to him, or one of his friends, attacking you. Whereupon one of your friends would likely back you up, eventually turning the whole scene into a bar fight where almost everyone is injured, and everyone IS arrested.

You could say something back, this may or may not escalate to the point of scenario 1, but it more than likely would end up getting you and him kicked out of the bar if it got out of hand.

You could walk out, while definatly a mature choice, in the end the jerk you would feel cheated, like the jerk who talked smack somehow 'Won', as you weren't able to even relax at your hang out spot. Noone would be hurt, nothing would happen, and there is a decent chance you wouldn't ever see that guy again.

You could ignore him, chances are he will try again and then give up after the second try, if he didn't stop, more than likely the bouncer or bartender would have him tossed out. You'll end up irritated but ultimately you'll be able to finish your drink and enjoy the rest of the night fairly incident free.

Almost always the 'first strike' logic ends up causing more problems than it solves, imagine how many less people would be glitching if everyone who glitched for fear someone else would glitch just stoped doing it.

Holy crap this is a long post, so I'm gonna end it now (assuming you are even still reading) I personally agree 110% that Epic should use SOME of the millions of dollars in sales they have made off of GoW2 and set up some dedicated servers, while this would NOT fix all of the glitchs with gears, it certainly would go a long way towards helping with Host advantage and general inconsistancy in connection quality.

16. Monster Energy

Monster Energy Enthusiast

Ratings:

Dude..thats a big paragraph:wink:

17. PURPL3 H4ZE

PURPL3 H4ZE Getting There

Ratings:
    im a 34 year old gamer(yes i know im old lol) ex military (infantry) i get p1ssed off very easy......so the to answer one of your scenarios
    "You could punch him right then and there, which would more than likely lead to him, or one of his friends, attacking you. Whereupon one of your friends would likely back you up, eventually turning the whole scene into a bar fight where almost everyone is injured, and everyone IS arrested."
    thats me all over if some body try's to pick a fight i dont walk away never have,i dont broad cast my past or the training ive had but if it comes my way i will never back down as i feel as part of growing up that if you back down then you just ask for more of the same.
    but that also dosnt mean that im not approachable il have a laugh and a civilised convo with any one as long as they keep it that way them self's,which should be the same with game playing....NO ONE CHEATS OR GLITCH'S.
    but in todays world of gamming that isnt going to happen in my gt motto i have the words "cant beat them join them"
    thats my view on certan games if they cheat then il follow suit to gain an equal advantge i used to feel sorry for people that had glitch's done to them but no longer ive been on the recieving end of it enough times in the past.
    the only way to stop glitchers/exploiters and cheaters is down to the dev's they make the games we just play them,if they made the game correct in the first place then most of this would stop.

18. Head Tax

Head Tax Premium Premium

Ratings:
    Glitching is ****ing annoying.

19. Nubble

Nubble Seasoned Member

Ratings:
    Lol, you can try to compare glitching to hacking a security system, but it is like comparing apples to oranges. People know full well that when they glitch, it is because that
    1. It makes people angry
    2. It's fun
    3. Everyone can do it, so you might as well as beat them to the punch

Now, you saying that we are "black hat" hackers, that's just going to far. I think that you are making a video game seem like real life. Gears of War 2... It's a game... Glitching isn't going to cause anyone to lose money or possessions, or even cause someone upset that will last more then the 10 minutes you are in a game. Let's say they lose a rank... Ok, if they got it legit before, they can do it again....

You just can't compare it and actually get anyone to actually agree with you...

20. Who is this

Who is this Enthusiast

Ratings:
    When I play multiplayer, I don't glitch. Achievements, I just make it easier for me. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.